Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

A Poll question...

View Poll Results: How LONG do you think it will take YOU to become a winning long term player?
30 days or less, all I have to do is read the lessons! 2 10.53%
3 months or so, I have a good handle on stuff but just need a little bit more to clear the hump. 1 5.26%
6 months or so, I am starting to get the idea, but need more work. 3 15.79%
1 year or so, I am starting to get the idea, but it is a lot harder than it looks. 2 10.53%
over 1 year, I am either new, or have found poker is REALLY HARD. 0 0%
No idea, I simply do not know enough about the game yet to judge. 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old
A Poll question... - Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I am doing a bit of reading outside poker stuff, to see if I can generate a new out look on the game.

Toward this end, I would like to ask you all a Question:

How LONG do you think it will take YOU to become a winning long term player?

Please select the answer which closest fits you.

Any thoughts about the steps you think will be needed to reach this goal would be greatly appreciated too...

Thanks.

-JDean

Last edited by JDean; Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
YOU FORGOT ONE CHOICE- NEVER, UNLESS I GET REAL LUCKY

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
YOU FORGOT ONE CHOICE- NEVER, UNLESS I GET REAL LUCKY

That's the one I was looking for

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Answer is...IT DEPENDS. How long is long term, I've only been playing for a few years. I've been profitable so far, but I'm still playing small stakes.

It depends how much I study, how honest I can be with myself about my mistakes, how much time I spend reviewing histories, and all those other things that advance my game. The only thing I'm sure of is that I still have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the experience so maybe that is a win in itself.

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
Answer is...IT DEPENDS. How long is long term, I've only been playing for a few years. I've been profitable so far, but I'm still playing small stakes.

It depends how much I study, how honest I can be with myself about my mistakes, how much time I spend reviewing histories, and all those other things that advance my game. The only thing I'm sure of is that I still have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the experience so maybe that is a win in itself.

LOVE that reply...

Love it, love it, love it...

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:38 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Only thing I know for sure is I'll never be done learning.

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:52 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
I am doing a bit of reading outside poker stuff, to see if I can generate a new out look on the game.

Any thoughts about the steps you think will be needed to reach this goal would be greatly appreciated too...

Thanks.

-JDean
I have come across this concept before "Long Term WINNING Player", but have no idea what is meant by it.

What Precisely do you mean by Winning Player ?

Is it someone who wins every time they play ?

Is it someone who has won more money than they have lost ? would this be Ever ? or over a shorter term ?

Is it someone who has never lost money ?

What is the definition of ' A winning Player ' ?

I have NEVER deposited money online.. I have spent hundreds of dollars playing online in MTT's Single Table Sit n Go's, and Ring Games.

My account is in the Black and will remain so, unless I go down to zero, which technically is NOT in the Red, as they will not allow you to play on credit.

Does this make me a 'Winning Player' ? I don't think so.

So what is ?

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
WELL IF I PLAY AT 1/2 6PLAYER TABLE I WILL WIN SOME MONEY
IF I PLAYED IN THE WSOP I THINK I WOULD LOSE
SO DOES THAT MAKE ME A LOSING OR WINNING PLAYER??

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckldgator View Post
I totally agree. As soon as you do, you've lost!

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 07:03 PM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2010
Ask me again in a year cos I'm still learning

Old
Mon Oct 17, 2011, 07:08 PM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2007
Quote:

Thanks.

-JDean
How long is a piece of string?

My real issue is not with playing the game of poker, 7 or 8 times out of 10 I know totally what the right thing to do is in a hand, but I seem to have this little monster on my shoulder that convinces me that I can walk on water. My ego makes me believe that I can defy logic and I end up doing the wrong thing, and maybe 6 out of those 7 or 8 times I end up paying big time.

All the knowledge in the world is useless unless you can apply it, and that is my weakness. Can I fix it? God only knows, each game I play I tell myself that I can but the I loss patience and do the opposite of what I should do. I like the thrill, I like the buzz the rare times I get it right, and as long as I do not go busto, it may be difficult for me to dispose of that "its only a bit of craic attitude."

I probably have yet to find the true style I should play in order to beat the game, I may well never find it, but as long as I am enjoying it and not losing money, it is worthwhile to go on searching for "the Holy Grail".

TC

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:01 AM
(#12)
Since: May 2011
Quote:

Thanks.

-JDean

I would love to be able to say next week!!

Truth is, I have no clue whatsoever. IF ever. No crystal ball here and an absence of self arrogance makes this extremely clear to me.

Sigh....

Talent can overcome a lot of things when it comes to being looked at as a positive... anything...Baseball player...ect....ect....But without continuing practice/learning/busting your ass....One will never reach ones full potential in any endeavor.

Dale

Last edited by dale442; Tue Oct 18, 2011 at 01:06 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:56 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post

What Joy said.

And Joy,as long as you keep that attitude you're already home when it comes to being a winning player.

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:34 AM
(#14)
Deleted user
Its a ongoing journey,we have levels that make us a fish again and just need to look at how poker was played 5 years ago to how what it plays like now.

Wax on wax off

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 04:01 AM
(#15)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
ive 2 chances none n f all he he

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 04:20 AM
(#16)
Just looked up the word "WIN" in the Chambers dictionary, now I understand. WHO KNEW ?

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 05:12 PM
(#17)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

If i play like this then never.

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 01:44 AM
(#18)
When I retire I am hoping to have the time required to study, evaluate and play this game at a higher level. Not having ice in my veins means I'll never be a Durrr. I know this. My heart races when I'm all in against another player in a 25 cent SNG. Having raised a perfect kid who's a fourth year engineering student means I've used up most of my luck and bankroll.

Played varsity basketball and had a consistent 3 point shot well before the three point line was invented / introduced. Started as a bench warmer. By third season I was first string and played every minute of every game in the fourth and final season. Was a lousy skater. Quit hockey. Never broke 90 in golf. Quit golf. Gave each endeavor three years.

I'll give poker three solid years. Three and out. Or in. Whichever.

(Turbos suck)

Dan

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 04:20 AM
(#19)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckldgator View Post
I agree here as well, but I don't think it takes that long to become a winning online player. You just have to use the tools at hand. One, read a book. I'm sure there are a ton ppl can suggest. But, This is the one I suggest. SnG strategy by collin moshman. Read it. Read it again, and Read it again. Then go beat the crap out of the SnG on Stars that I can only wish I could play. I've read it twice and still don't get 30% of the book, but, it's been a huge help.

If you like NL, then I'd suggest ho limits and pot limit holdem by bob ciaffone. Same directions as above.

If you are more into FLHE games. Advanced hold em by David Skalansky is the book for you.

As better than 20% of online players are at least winning players, it should not be hard to become a winning player. You just need to stay focused and disciplined. Hope this helps some of yall. GL and PM me if you have any questions. -Shark

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com