Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Should I Have Played This Flush Draw Differently?

Old
Should I Have Played This Flush Draw Differently? - Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Okay. First of all, I want to make it clear that I am NOT in the habit of raising with ace rag suited from EP. However....

This table was playing fairly tightly, and my image was tight (9/6 over 28 hands). Also, I had shown down a monster earlier, and had some credibility because of that.

I know it's not profitable to play these hands OOP regularly, and I don't.

But I've been colouring "outside the lines" lately sometimes, to be less predictable to my opponents, and I think overall it's helping my results.

Anyway, I got almost the best flop I could have hoped for -- the nut flush draw. And considering my PF raise, I thought I should semi-bluff. My question is, did I carry the semi-bluff too far, or could I have executed it better?

Last edited by ILuvPoker77; Tue Oct 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
if it were me, and I put the opp on an A with a bigger kicker (which is probably exactly what they had, I'd have tried checking the turn instead of the river.... hoping they'd give me a free card.

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Um, you flop amazing. Did you not notice you had top pair to go along with your nut flush draw? That is a sick mega draw if you are even drawing. By the way, can't check/fold that river. Either check/call if you think he'll bet worse for you or bet if he's more likely to just call.

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:04 AM
(#4)
Deleted user
Is this another 45man?

If so I have noticed some of the aggressive players will call in hopes of you shutting down at one point and they can steal. He has position on you,so I would have bet large on the flop to take it down then,since your strength gets weaker unless you hit that flush.

If you gonna shut down on river from time to time,throw in a blocker bet to keep the villian in check. You will be suprised how many will actually fold to a weak bet on the river.

Old
Tue Oct 18, 2011, 10:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
if it were me, and I put the opp on an A with a bigger kicker (which is probably exactly what they had, I'd have tried checking the turn instead of the river.... hoping they'd give me a free card.
Good suggestion. Yes, I thought they probably did have an A with a kicker that beat mine, and therefore, might have the sense to fold their 1-pair hand to a turn bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Um, you flop amazing. Did you not notice you had top pair to go along with your nut flush draw? That is a sick mega draw if you are even drawing. By the way, can't check/fold that river. Either check/call if you think he'll bet worse for you or bet if he's more likely to just call.
Thanks. Yes, I did see that I had top pair, but I didn't get too excited about that, because I had such a lousy kicker. So I wasn't really planning to fall back on the pair, if the opp. showed strength and the flush draw didn't hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
Is this another 45man?

If so I have noticed some of the aggressive players will call in hopes of you shutting down at one point and they can steal. He has position on you,so I would have bet large on the flop to take it down then,since your strength gets weaker unless you hit that flush.
Yes, I've noticed that too (the tendency for aggressive players to float).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
If you gonna shut down on river from time to time,throw in a blocker bet to keep the villian in check. You will be suprised how many will actually fold to a weak bet on the river.
You're absolutely right -- thanks for the reminder. A blocker bet would have been relatively inexpensive, and I have actually seen (to my neverending surprise) a lot of opps. fold on the river to a weak bet. I'll try to remember to use that tool when warranted.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com