Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

What's the correct play? (Top/top vs. flop 3bet shove)

Old
What's the correct play? (Top/top vs. flop c/r shove) - Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi guys,

just faced an interesting hand in a tournament (pretty early stage).

Please note: We played several hands before. This one was actually 2 hands before. He seems to be fairly loose with his preflop game.

Knowing that, what would you have done in the following hand?

Reason I folded there: I got the other guy behind me, but wasn't really worried about his bet on the flop, since it was a standard cbet. I thought about similar situations I had in tournaments in the last time. I don't want to put my tournament life at risk there drawing nearly dead (facing a set) and I guess I am just ahead of some hands in his range (eg. KQ, JQ, Q10). Even this guy is pretty loose preflop.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Schnech; Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the first hand sounds like 99 or 10's. They raised preflop and mucked to missing the flop.... totally normal.

2nd hand: AQ pretty early, out of position.... I'd highly consider mucking it preflop. That way you can avoid that type of situation. If you're playing it, I'd have raised a bit more to open with it. The check/raise is either a set of 3's/9's or a flush draw. Unless I had more info on the opponent with playing suited cards, it's a muck. Even if they have the draw, they're at least a 36% fav to win, more if they have a K.

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
the first hand sounds like 99 or 10's. They raised preflop and mucked to missing the flop.... totally normal.
If that guy had a pair here he'd call. He probably has like Kx that missed, maybe as good as KT. This is definitely no TAG player we're talking about.

For the second hand, calling a 3-bet out of position with AQ is no fun. What's your read on MYX? Any idea what his min 3-bet means? I'd be inclined to just shove (or repop to like 1300-1800 and prepare to call a shove) or fold. Generally among poor and passive players that sort of min 3-bet is indicative of a monster, like QQ-AA. Since you have a Q and an A, all signs point toward KK.

It's a cheap price to call but you don't have a good implied odds hand and you'll be out of position. You're probably not going to stack KK on an A high board.

On the flop, it's not totally impossible for you to have the best hand. You could be against KQ and . You're definitely not way ahead of both players though, and with 40 BBs, this looks like an unnecessary gamble.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com