Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Interesting play at Turbo 360 STT

Old
Interesting play at Turbo 360 STT - Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hero is Big stack and been kinda active. Now its kinda rule that small raises instantly tells strength. Its almost always AKs+ or JJ+. So lets start cracking those (even someone noted on table that it did that). Anyways was hero lucky? Gutshot is gutshot but still.... Turn play was optimal though.

BTW lesson to learn turbo players. Never slowplay, rather push more hands preflop. Make opponent guess your hand range. This guy would have still been playing this tourney if just pushed and collected chips. All-in raises are more "bluffy" than minraises.

Last edited by ohjeohje; Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
those tournies are loaded with bad players, so I disagree with the small raise statement. At a table of good players, yes, but in a micro turbo... no, as too many people hit the min-raise button.

The opp made a bad play and should have raised to 3-4BB preflop, as it would have priced you out.

Also, you did not have the pot odds to call the flop either (16% equity at best... lower if they had a 9, so any bet over 16% of the pot is a -EV play for you).

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You have no implied odds against the aggressor. His stack is too small. And you are out of position. Fold 6 high preflop without hesitation.

Now if instead you were playing against the button, and especially if you had position, I wouldn't mind seeing the flop or calling that tiny bet to see the turn. Your implied odds would make up for it.

13 BBs is a little much to be shoving AA. Rather, I like a small raise, intending to get 99-KK, Ax, etc. to shove on you. Maybe raise to 2.2 x-2.5x instead of 2 x but still. Then shove any flop.

Opponent should have shoved the flop. It's not the best flop in the world as it's unlikely to have hit anyone, but it's still a pretty nice pot, and he will get called by TT-KK, and probably hands like 88 and 87.

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 03:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
You have no implied odds against the aggressor. His stack is too small. And you are out of position. Fold 6 high preflop without hesitation.

Now if instead you were playing against the button, and especially if you had position, I wouldn't mind seeing the flop or calling that tiny bet to see the turn. Your implied odds would make up for it.

13 BBs is a little much to be shoving AA. Rather, I like a small raise, intending to get 99-KK, Ax, etc. to shove on you. Maybe raise to 2.2 x-2.5x instead of 2 x but still. Then shove any flop.

Opponent should have shoved the flop. It's not the best flop in the world as it's unlikely to have hit anyone, but it's still a pretty nice pot, and he will get called by TT-KK, and probably hands like 88 and 87.
+1^^

12BB give or take doesn't pay you enough to risk hitting a flop good enough to continue only about 20 to 25% of the time; not with the bulk of those "good" flops for you will be draws you'll have to play oop.

I really want to know I am getting at LEAST a 10 to 1 potential return on my initial call to even think about sticking around against opponents, even those who will bet small and lay me a good price to draw.

As Oriholic states, this villain probably should have jammed this flop behind your check, and a short stack being so likely to do something like that really dries up a lot of the play-ability of a hand like 65o oop.

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 05:37 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:

at $0.10 people are calling much lighter when someone shoves than makes smallish bet leaving rather small stack behind. KQs, AJs etc. The moment someone makes small bet means he wants action in TURBO STT. Plus benefit is that we can start stealing with our shoves later on with raggy hands. Because we need to be aggressive to collect chips and waiting for good cards don't work too good.

What does hero want? Make smallish bet and KQs calls and missed and folds at flop OR shove and KQs calls and loses and you take their whole stack.

Just a moment ago I shoved A9o with around 13bb and next guy snap calls with JTo (has around 8bb). With standard raise I would maybe got only few bb and had though spot at flop because flop missed both of us.

As the blinds go to 500/1000 many players starts to tighten up and I go seemingly LAG style after NIT/TAG start. Its common to see players with 3k stack to fold shove from SB because they wanna mincash. That means we can shove very wide, I mean very. We can easily triple up our stack in few rounds (without showdown) and if we do get call we are sometimes 30/70 spot or if we really have hand way ahead.

Raising and folding is horrible play overall which should be avoided at turbo. If you wanna play hand you should push or fold. Gives opponent though spot to call.

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 04:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Also, you did not have the (proper) odds to call the flop either
+2

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com