Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Whats he doing

 
Old
Default
Whats he doing - Wed Oct 19, 2011, 02:21 PM
(#1)
m.bisland's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,260
BronzeStar


I played this wrong but what the hell is he doing. He must have known he was beat. There was about 2450 left i wanted to shove but i thought if i dont hit i could hang in a few more minutes and mabee gain some extra points.
 
Old
Default
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:20 PM
(#2)
JDean's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,145
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.bisland View Post


I played this wrong but what the hell is he doing. He must have known he was beat. There was about 2450 left i wanted to shove but i thought if i dont hit i could hang in a few more minutes and mabee gain some extra points.
Who know's what he is thinking?

Maybe he is totally oblivious to the fact losing 3/4ths of his stack is a bad thing?
Maybe he thinks the guy who is all in after you is bluffing, and the side pot is worth the risk?
Maybe he hasn't got a clue how to judge the odds of hitting runners or a 2 outer, so doesn't know how to wiegh his risk/reward?
Maybe he doesn't notice anything except "hey, I can call this and still have chips!"?
Maybe, Maybe, Maybe...

All that does not really matter for you after he sucks out, and knocks you out, but asking it now can lead you to possible look for other info that supports one of these possible thought lines in your future games. If you can see other info which backs up the reason WHY a mistake is made, you can then start to configure ways to exploit those mistakes.

I'd ask you in return:

If you assume each of those "maybe's" I put up were true, how would you adjust YOUR play to exploit those "mistakes" in thinking?
 
Old
Default
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
(#3)
oriholic's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 751
BronzeStar
You really needed to shove preflop. Or all but one chip if you're trying to waste time. The minraise over a limper with AQ is just not right. Obviously "shove" when you hit the flop like that.

The guy with the 10s is probably thinking that he has a pair of 10s.
 
Old
Default
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
(#4)
m.bisland's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,260
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Who know's what he is thinking?

Maybe he is totally oblivious to the fact losing 3/4ths of his stack is a bad thing?
Maybe he thinks the guy who is all in after you is bluffing, and the side pot is worth the risk?
Maybe he hasn't got a clue how to judge the odds of hitting runners or a 2 outer, so doesn't know how to wiegh his risk/reward?
Maybe he doesn't notice anything except "hey, I can call this and still have chips!"?
Maybe, Maybe, Maybe...

All that does not really matter for you after he sucks out, and knocks you out, but asking it now can lead you to possible look for other info that supports one of these possible thought lines in your future games. If you can see other info which backs up the reason WHY a mistake is made, you can then start to configure ways to exploit those mistakes.

I'd ask you in return:

If you assume each of those "maybe's" I put up were true, how would you adjust YOUR play to exploit those "mistakes" in thinking?

Next time im all in
 
Old
Default
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 06:52 PM
(#5)
JDean's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,145
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.bisland View Post
Next time im all in
EXACTLY...

when you are that short, and you hold a hand that has a reasonable chance to be best, why do you want to complicate your decisions?

Just go all in pre, or FOLD if ladder climbing is such an important consideration. Your 5BB stack simply does not have enough in it to even consider a limp and look play in a ladder climb situation.

After that decision is made, it is all down to luck.

Last edited by JDean; Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 06:57 PM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 07:05 PM
(#6)
m.bisland's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,260
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
EXACTLY...

when you are that short, and you hold a hand that has a reasonable chance to be best, why do you want to complicate your decisions?

Just go all in pre, or FOLD if ladder climbing is such an important consideration. Your 5BB stack simply does not have enough in it to even consider a limp and look play in a ladder climb situation.

After that decision is made, it is all down to luck.

Thanks for the input i know what to do next time.
 
Old
Default
Whats he doing - Wed Oct 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
(#7)
barnie427's Avatar
Since: Aug 2011
Posts: 15
WhiteStar
Rule of thumb, if a call/raise has you commiting at least 1/3 of your stack, might as well go all in from the get go (this way perhaps the button might've folded.)


The guy to your left had no business playing that weak ace, that should've been an instafold on his part. The guy on the button, re-raised putting the BB all-in, either way, the BB should've shoved preflop. From the play it seemed like the guy on the button was making a play to isolate short stack (BB) perhaps hoping his re-raise causes the other players in pot to fold, but wasn't the case.

On the flop I would've shoved first, maybe just maybe you might have the button fold to you, but seems like the guy was taking a chance with a 60% flush/60%straight (there's some Laakism for ya lol) including spiking his two outters, since there was a bunch of chips in the pot. He lucked out and hit, sucks for you, but I'm willing to bet that plays like that are short lived.

Overall 10BB put you at that stage where you shove first, thus leading you to isolate the BB and a showdown.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com