Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Free $5.50 Time Tourney Ticket With $30 Deposit Offer from PokerStars

Old
Free $5.50 Time Tourney Ticket With $30 Deposit Offer from PokerStars - Wed Oct 19, 2011, 06:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
In case people didn't see this on the Promotions page

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/prom...time-tourneys/

From the webpage:

"PokerStars wants everyone to try Time Tourneys, which is why we are giving you a free tournament ticket worth $5.50! Simply make a deposit of $30 or more with the code ‘TIME’ between now and October 28 and you’ll be rewarded with the free ticket*, which you can then use to play a Time Tourney."

*The free ticket must be used before 23:59 ET on October 28 or it will expire. Players are only eligible for one free ticket.

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Well since I have not made a deposit since January nor do I intend to make one, the bonus ticket is not of much use to me.

The time tourneys though sound interesting, not so much the 15 minute ones; I am a bit too nitty for those, but the 2 hour ones could be interesting. By that stage I usually have a reasonable stack in tournies and then make some stupid move and either get crippled or lose the lot.

The only thing I would fear is everyone going mad like in rebuys before the clock is up, and my inability to refuse a gamble. If anyone has any tips on discipline apart from the elastic band that Moneymaker and a few other pros mentioned (it did not work for me as I pulled it so hard every time I was about to make a bad play that the band broke), then I would really appreciate it.

Edit: And if anyone knows how to get rid of Opps Server errors on Googlemail I would really appreciate it.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Cheers,

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 10:32 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
(it did not work for me as I pulled it so hard every time I was about to make a bad play that the band broke)

Cheers,

TC
hahahaha!! Ya, I don't think I could try that - my arm would be way to sore! lol!

I was tempted to add a whole bit about how I tried a timed tourney and I was too tight, and then I got too loose because the blinds were rising so high I started to panic and pushed with some crap hand like J4s or whatever. The funny thing is that I got called by 84o and lost.

I just made that last part up - I don't really remember much of what happened except that it went by really fast and so I was curious too about whether anybody had tried one of these and had had decent results.

But then I didn't want to make the post to long and have the offer code get lost in the middle of all my random musings. So I'm glad to see that others are wondering the same thing

Maybe somebody'll come and share some tips so our arms won't have to hurt so bad

Old
Wed Oct 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Well since I have not made a deposit since January nor do I intend to make one, the bonus ticket is not of much use to me.

The time tourneys though sound interesting, not so much the 15 minute ones; I am a bit too nitty for those, but the 2 hour ones could be interesting. By that stage I usually have a reasonable stack in tournies and then make some stupid move and either get crippled or lose the lot.

The only thing I would fear is everyone going mad like in rebuys before the clock is up, and my inability to refuse a gamble. If anyone has any tips on discipline apart from the elastic band that Moneymaker and a few other pros mentioned (it did not work for me as I pulled it so hard every time I was about to make a bad play that the band broke), then I would really appreciate it.

Edit: And if anyone knows how to get rid of Opps Server errors on Googlemail I would really appreciate it.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Cheers,

TC

i have tried a couple of the timed games seems a lot of all in ,i did hit one big hand in the 15minuet and tripled my money i finished in the low 90s,could just as easy loose will try a few more,

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 02:32 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Of the three types they trialled they chose to run with the worst one as far as I'm concerned. With the other two you were almost guaranteed to make a profit if you played "league" style. That won't be the case with these.

Oh well. Managed to grab a bit of pocket money while it lasted

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 03:21 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Why not just deposit $30 and then play shortest $5.50 tournament that is available (30 min, I think they removed 15 for abuse). Just hang on there and try to maintain starting stack. If you fail no big deal just withdraw your $30 after 48h period. If you win keep your winnings and withdraw $30 away.

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 03:39 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Withdraw the $30

I see you set your sights high

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 04:43 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Hmmm....timed tournies. Wish I could play them, they do sound interesting.

It strikes me that with some observations, and minor adjustments to "normal" type play styles, these might be events that can return a pretty solid ROI...

Things to consider...

ToptheCat, your concern about these events devolving into "shove fests" like Re-buy events is actually a bit un-founded I'd think.

First, as the GOAL is to pick up chips in "gobs" rather than "dribbles" (at least at the late stages), maintaining a solid call/3Bet range against big chip moves would actually benefit your overall Event goal. The key is WHEN you are willing to accept "small" chip up's, and when you are ready to play bigger pots.

The way I approach re-buy events is usually not to deviate much from my standard MTT start hand standards, but rather to look for spots to widen my call/3Bet range to pound on the WIDER ranges I see from players who are adopting a "wilder" Re-buy strat. My initial "feel" for the timed events is that something similar might work well in those events too.

Early on, I'd maintain a solid top end start hand standard, and look to "play for pairs" (take down pots with solid top pair making hands, without going all the way to showdown). At the start of the event, showing this sort of image to the table makes you a much LESS viable target for opponents to "take shots" at than you would be in a normal MTT. I say this because the small-ish LOSSES incurred by taking those shots would not necessarily be ones opponents could re-coup before the event time expires. So a tight early strat can lead to a couple of small chip ups, that will become VERY useful when opponents are feeling the pressure to get an ITM stack later on.

Second, it seems that adding about 50% to 75% to your start stack in the EARLY stages of the event confers a big advantage come the Event's "bubble time" (as the end approaches). 50% to 75% is usually not too hard to accumulate with a standard MTT strat (and a reasonable amount of decent cards), so getting that amount can be possible without much overall "risk".

Note: the 50% to 75% chip up you'd "need" to position yourself to take advantage of the looser chip moves likely to be seen later on is entirely subject to how the chips tend to distribute in the events. To see that, you would want to look at the chip stacks at the end of a couple events.

I've noticed that at mid stages of normal MTT, you generally see the chip leader sitting on around a 4 to 5 times AVERAGE Stack in a tourney without a ton of loose and wild play. The top 10% to 15% usually have around 1.5 to 2.5 times the average stack. Having 50% to 75% more than the START STACK should make it pretty easy to pick spots against "desprete" opponents in the late stages to build your stack to one that would get you ITM. Of course a LOT is dependant upon the average chip stack in relation to the start stack when the time expires. That should be pretty easy to check on by just looking at a couple of completed events.

So at first glance at least, it seems these sorts of events do not necessarily require a huge widening of start standards to yield a solid ITM rate, and staying solid early can easily position you for big chip ups later on.

Anyone else have some thoughts about how to approach these events?

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 11:43 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2007
Some good ideas there JD.

I do not really have much to add in terms of strategy and I do adopt a similar approach to your own in rebuys.

However, my limited experience of rebuys is that when it is coming towards the end of the rebuy and add on period, it turns into a mad shovefest, with five, six or seven people shoving every hand because they can rebuy or double rebuy. The result is stack sizes grow really quickly and if you even get a premium hand at this point, there are so many players involved, and the bets are so large, that you are virtually stack committed if you play one. And off course if you do play one, your As or Ks lose a lot of value, if there are 7 or 8 players all in preflop. It is very much hit and hope in those circumstances and picking spots against desperate opponents is difficult when everyone is playing desperately.

So I am going to watch a couple of these events and see how they play out, and then decide if they are worth giving a go.

Thanks

TC

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Well had to try it,

$5.50 buy in, 662 players

3 pushes in the right position, then l clocked it,

finished with just below avg, stack

made $16.95 profit,

not sure on them yet, will try it again

cheers

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 05:00 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
Well had to try it,

$5.50 buy in, 662 players

3 pushes in the right position, then l clocked it,

finished with just below avg, stack

made $16.95 profit,

not sure on them yet, will try it again

cheers

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2010
Im going to give this a try , booked in now.Same set up as prem should be inntresting. GL me HAPPY

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2010
IGNORE WHAT I SAID NEVER AGAIN

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 07:02 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysap View Post
ignore what i said never again
lmfao :d:d:d

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 08:33 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Some mixed results

The one I tried before was the 15 minute one, where I would have blinded out before the 15 minutes were over if I hadn't shoved my J4s or whatever crap two I finally went with.

I wonder if you really could play the 30 minute one and just not play a hand if one doesn't ever come, and just clock it like PSO ... wouldn't that be nice if that were possible

Here's the structure for the 30 minute $5.50:

Starting chips: 2500
Level 1: Blinds 50/100, Ante 10 (10 minutes)
Level 2: Blinds 100/200, Ante 20 (10 minutes)
Level 3: Blinds 150/300, Ante 30 (10 minutes)

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Oct 20, 2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:54 PM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved **

Old
Thu Oct 20, 2011, 11:08 PM
(#17)
Since: Apr 2011
well my second was a bust ,lost to a higher kicker ,ace jack and he had ace queen,never hit a hand so i did have my stack come down a bit,will try a few more ,is still a bit of a shove fest ,will give a few a go and see how things work out

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com