Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Limping with low pocket pairs (2-9) full ring 2nl?

Old
Limping with low pocket pairs (2-9) full ring 2nl? - Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi guys ! I'm a new member here playing only for a few weeks at pokerstars...

In 2 nl you can see the flop by limping a lot of the times... do you think it ok to limp and see a cheap flop with 22-99 and go on from there if i hit something?

Or as general i should raise it and be more aggressive ?

if you can answer for both early middle and late P

Tnx

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:31 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiorinne View Post
Hi guys ! I'm a new member here playing only for a few weeks at pokerstars...

In 2 nl you can see the flop by limping a lot of the times... do you think it ok to limp and see a cheap flop with 22-99 and go on from there if i hit something?

Or as general i should raise it and be more aggressive ?

if you can answer for both early middle and late P

Tnx
I think if your hand is worthy of entering a pot, you should do so with a raise.

One, you may take it down pre-flop without a caller.

Two, you have shown some level of strength therefore a standard continuation bet may win it there, again without a caller/raiser even if you miss.

Three, if you do flop the set, hopefully you take down a large pot.

Now I will step aside and let the quality players post up.

Enjoy,

Dale

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 02:08 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2010
I min raise with pp in any position or just call a min raise
If you hit the flop in early position ,or mid position that hasn't been betted , I jam
In late position if no-one bets post flop I will make a c-bet

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 02:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
spike: min raise you mean 0.04 in 2nl? Its a raise that looking for trouble imo..

dale: so if my c-bet getting called on the flop - check/fold the turn?

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 03:20 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
spike: min raise you mean 0.04 in 2nl? Its a raise that looking for trouble imo..

dale: so if my c-bet getting called on the flop - check/fold the turn?

Would depend on the (sorry Dave) villian. (Still love that term)

What range can you put your opponent on? Would the flop improve his range of possible/probable holdings?

I try to continue to remind myself this...I KNOW what I have...What could he have to call, in this case, a pre-flop raise, and also bet into a checked pot on the turn?

If you believe you are ahead, possibly firing a second barrel, or check/calling the turn with pot control in mind. If you fire on the turn, and you have missed, can you call a raise? Possibly checking here to gauge his move, and reaccess from there.

As you see, so much is about the villian and his range. See Dave's (The Langolier's) training videos. Quality learning material. And FREE!!

Enjoy,

Dale

Edit...forgot to make very clear, there are many more here with much more experience/knowledge than I. Wow...sorry for all the edits...have to pay more attention...David Gilmour on Blu-ray drawing me away from your post.

Last edited by dale442; Fri Oct 21, 2011 at 03:56 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 05:56 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:

Yes , if you get called they are saying they have a hand
If you miss the flop in early position its an easy check then fold to any bet to over cards on the board to your pocket pair
In late position if you are last to act and it has been checked to you but you missed
Now is the time to c-bet and represent the highest card on the flop
If you hit in any position you are good to go
The idea about the min raise is to eliminate the rag hands Q8,K9 etc plus if you are not re-raised preflop and you have to fold post flop you got to see a flop fairly cheaply and if you have to fold post flop same instance applies
You saw the flop cheaply which isn't going to make a huge hole in your buy in
But if you hit the flop it cost you the minimum of a bet plus those that came along for thee ride
Now you have two options , make a big bet and get everyone to fold or double your money or slow play your set and just pot build with small bets and hope you get them to come along

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
In early position it is ok to limp with 22-99 at 2NL. It may be better overall to raise though, like 3-4 BB. Any closer to the button it's definitely a raise. In the blinds it kind of depends who is in the pot, but seeing a free flop isn't a terrible idea.

Old
Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Early/mid, I like raising with it. I will however call with it in late position if there are a number of limpers already in the pot, as it helps to hide the strength of my hand. If nobody has entered the pot and I'm in late position, I'm raising.

If you're in early position and you just call, me (and alot of other players) will definitely put a small pair in your range... so if you c-bet it, you most likely hit a set and if I couldn't beat a set... I'd muck. If you raise from early/mid..... they can't distinguish between you having 2 high cards or a small pocket.... if you don't, then the small pocket pair is more likely.

It always helps to have your hand concealed, as you'll win more larger pots that way. If you can be ranged to a certain hand or two... you won't win as much.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com