Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

ILuv Gets Pie in the Face

 
Old
Default
ILuv Gets Pie in the Face - Sat Oct 22, 2011, 12:01 AM
(#1)
ILuvPoker77's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 84
I'm not really looking for evaluation on this hand, just posting it for comic relief.

It seems funny to me, anyway.

Especially since I was being so dramatic by betting exactly the number of chips he had left.


Last edited by ILuvPoker77; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 12:03 AM..
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 01:29 AM
(#2)
JDean's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,145
BronzeStar
The really funny thing is that the other guy probably thinks he played his hand really, really well...when in fact he pooched it badly and got saved by a 2 out-er ;-)

HE TRAPPED YOU ILUV!!!!

...little did he know that with your hand there isn't a thing anyone with half a brain can argue that you did wrong.

GH.
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 01:54 AM
(#3)
oriholic's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 751
BronzeStar
Actually I think you both played it fine. I really like his check preflop, as it allows you to keep all your trash. I don't think the flop is bad either. While in general you shouldn't be betting anything and folding if he raises you on the flop, if you're bluffing and he shoves you're gone. The way to get value from your bluffs is to just call the flop with his overpair and let you fire again on the turn. Obviously with stack sizes and your hand you're never ever ever folding, but he doesn't know you have a set.

Why did you limp preflop and bet the flop? Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but what was your reasoning?
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
(#4)
ILuvPoker77's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Why did you limp preflop and bet the flop? Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but what was your reasoning?
Because the guy's stack was SO short, and he had been playing SO timidly, that I thought if I raised pre, one of two things would happen:

If he didn't have a hand, he would just fold, and although I would have picked up the blinds, I wouldn't have gotten a shot at his chips.

If he did have a hand he considered worthy of calling my raise with (which would amount to most of his stack), then I was probably behind or at best racing with my pocket 7's, and didn't want to just donate to the guy.

I decided it was worth the 100 chips (and the lack of initiative) to just complete and see a flop, then decide how to proceed.

Once I hit the set, I decided to bet, because he was so passive, I didn't think we were going to get a pot going any other way.

Last edited by ILuvPoker77; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM..
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#5)
ILuvPoker77's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
The really funny thing is that the other guy probably thinks he played his hand really, really well...when in fact he pooched it badly and got saved by a 2 out-er ;-)

HE TRAPPED YOU ILUV!!!!

...little did he know that with your hand there isn't a thing anyone with half a brain can argue that you did wrong.

GH.
Haha...one really sad part of the story that I left out is that afterward, he actually apologized in chat!

I don't know if he was apologizing for winning, or just expressing his sympathies for my having lost....nevertheless, "I'm sorry" is not something you will EVER hear ME say in chat after winning a hand, no matter how I played it.
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 12:07 PM
(#6)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,814
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
those type of hands will happen. I think both of you played it fine. You wanted to make a bet that you think the opp would call.... opp floated the flop with an over pair. I had a very similar hand in a 45-man tourney yesterday too (and was on the same end of it as you but was with alot larger stacks).

P.S. I agree with you about apologizing to opps... the only way I'm using the word sorry is if I tell someone 'sorry about your luck'.
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
(#7)
JDean's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,145
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
those type of hands will happen. I think both of you played it fine. You wanted to make a bet that you think the opp would call.... opp floated the flop with an over pair. I had a very similar hand in a 45-man tourney yesterday too (and was on the same end of it as you but was with alot larger stacks).

P.S. I agree with you about apologizing to opps... the only way I'm using the word sorry is if I tell someone 'sorry about your luck'.
Yup....saying "I'm sorry for your luck" or "I'm sorry it was you" is far more appropriate than just "I'm sorry"...which often isn't true at all.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com