Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

AQ off 5bbs in .25c vs very tight player limping ep

Old
AQ off 5bbs in .25c vs very tight player limping ep - Sat Oct 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
limper is very tight
PokerStars Game #69371965988: Tournament #458529543, $0.23+$0.02 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2011/10/22 17:26:11 ET
Table '458529543 4' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: aknohara (2935 in chips)
Seat 2: lauprof (2892 in chips)
Seat 3: droopy85 (1787 in chips)
Seat 4: Makeciyo (2110 in chips)
Seat 6: Andzej1 (17855 in chips)
Seat 7: Ramil012 (6039 in chips)
Seat 8: pokerstar671 (1025 in chips)
aknohara: posts the ante 25
lauprof: posts the ante 25
droopy85: posts the ante 25
Makeciyo: posts the ante 25
Andzej1: posts the ante 25
Ramil012: posts the ante 25
pokerstar671: posts the ante 25
aknohara: posts small blind 100
lauprof: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pokerstar671 [Qs Ac]
droopy85: folds
Makeciyo: calls 200
Andzej1: folds
Ramil012: folds
pokerstar671: raises 800 to 1000 and is all-in
aknohara: folds
lauprof: folds
Makeciyo: calls 800
*** FLOP *** [9s Kc 4h]
*** TURN *** [9s Kc 4h] [4s]
*** RIVER *** [9s Kc 4h 4s] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Makeciyo: shows [Ks Ah] (a full house, Kings full of Fours)
pokerstar671: shows [Qs Ac] (two pair, Kings and Fours)
Makeciyo collected 2475 from pot
pokerstar671 finished the tournament in 14th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2475 | Rake 0
Board [9s Kc 4h 4s Kh]
Seat 1: aknohara (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: lauprof (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: droopy85 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Makeciyo showed [Ks Ah] and won (2475) with a full house, Kings full of Fours
Seat 6: Andzej1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Ramil012 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: pokerstar671 (button) showed [Qs Ac] and lost with two pair, Kings and Fours

Last edited by pokerstar671; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Depends on "tight how?"

does he raise his big hands and limp his medium strong hands?

tbh...

Versus a nit who will tend to regard 99/TT as a "weak hand" and limp it, your shove is fine. He may be willing to limp some hands you dominate (like KQ/AJ) too, as those are still within the range of a pretty snug 7% to 10% EP limp range. You are 43% vs a 7% limp range, and 51% vs a 10% limp range.

Your stack is so short, but still means a decent sized loss to him, that if he is a nit he is really likely to muck hands he'd limp rather than raise enough to give you a good chance to pick it up without a showdown. and if he shows a limp low end/raise top end patterns, you are probably going to be in a race often enough if he calls to make this perfectly fine.

If he is tight and limps EVERYTHING he enters on, then you are in a trickier spot. If you consider his limp range to jsut be 5%, then you'd only have aobut 37% equity versus that range with AQo. The thing is though, that is a UBER TIGHT limp range, and would probably be pretty obvious, as the villain will almost NEVER fold for a raise, and will likely win most hands he is raised.

so to be honest, I think you are too short to wait any more, and AQ is about as good as you can hope for. What are you gunna do, muck it, let yourself get to 3BB, then be all but FORCED to stand on 72o in your BB?

...just bad luck you ran into AK.

Last edited by JDean; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 06:00 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 05:58 PM
(#3)
thanks for the reply i figured i didnt have a choice no matter what he had. is that the wrong way to think?

Old
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
thanks for the reply i figured i didnt have a choice no matter what he had. is that the wrong way to think?
you ALWAYS have a choice.

Even this short, if he is going to limp as tight as 5%, and ALWAYS enter for a limp, yeah you coulda mucked. You would have a better shot at picking up a pot with 2 random cards versus some other limper, than you;d likely have versus the uber nit who always limps in strong (VERY STRONG), and never folds to a raise.

But to be able to exercise that choice, you need the info about the limper's specific tendencies.

If you lack that info that says he has limped mega tight EVERY TIME, and has never folded to a raise, then certainly you are perfectly fine with standing on AQo. Afterall, if you JUST looka t it as a spot where you are picking the BEST HAND you are likely to see between your BTN and your BB, AQo is going to be that hand...you aren't likely to get a better one in the next or so hands.

It is only when you are looking for the BEST SITUATION to win the pot, and when you apply all the info that you can to find that situation, that you MIGHT find a muck here....

But please let me stress...

AQo in almost all cases is going to be a "go hand". I only point out the CHANCE to spot a better situation because you opened the psot by saying the limper was very tight.

See the distinction?

Old
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:22 PM
(#5)
yes thanks for your reply ill keep that in mind next time im playing

Old
Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
you ALWAYS have a choice.

Even this short, if he is going to limp as tight as 5%, and ALWAYS enter for a limp, yeah you coulda mucked. You would have a better shot at picking up a pot with 2 random cards versus some other limper, than you;d likely have versus the uber nit who always limps in strong (VERY STRONG), and never folds to a raise.

But to be able to exercise that choice, you need the info about the limper's specific tendencies.

But please let me stress...

AQo in almost all cases is going to be a "go hand". I only point out the CHANCE to spot a better situation because you opened the psot by saying the limper was very tight.
+1

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com