Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Is it real to fold this? (2nl)

Old
Is it real to fold this? (2nl) - Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Played a hand vs chipstar 1 now...

Should i played it different? i was thinking maybe 2 pair or AK or a flush draw with an A... gave it a thought about AQ but since i had some outs i decided to all in this

Bad play by me?

Old
Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
What do you accomplish by check/calling the flop? Surely on such a wet board there's a better value line with your set of 10s.

By check/raising the turn you absolutely cannot be thinking of folding to a shove.

At no point in this hand can you really fold on your stack size.

Old
Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
that's a sticky situation... flopping a set with a very bad flop.. against a very skilled opponent.

The opp raises to 3BB pre, then makes a 75% pot bet on the flop after you check. At 1-2 NL, he's probably making the c-bet after your check basically every time. Then after you check the turn, makes another 75% pot bet.
If it was me, I'd have probably flatted the turn bet and re-evaluated on the river.. hoping for the board to pair. With two 75% pot bets, the opp definitely hit part of the flop, for certain.
If the river pairs the board, I'd shove, otherwise I'd have checked again and see if he shoved or made another value bet. If it was a value bet, I'd have called it. Although, you could also rep the flush if you got to the river also.

There's only 1 hand at the time that you're behind (although the opp could have had alot of draws too.. but one of the two draws hits on the river.. which would also scare his hand)... whcih is not a bad place to call the shove, if you don't put them on AQ.

This is a great example of a hand where there will be multiple ways that you can play it and I look forward to seeing what the others say too.

Old
Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
by check/calling i was trying to represent a week hand since i was sure he will bet the turn..

Old
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:00 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Pretty cool experience to get to play against Chipstar!!

I saw him playing at the tables the other day and was tempted to join. Moneywise, one would tend to think it would be -EV to play with a pro ... but in terms of like life experience, or in terms of tips one might pick up, it would seem like it would tend to be +EV!

But I got skerd

In his first video, in the middle of it where he's card-dead, he talked a whole bunch about if and when he'll c-bet with AK - he doesn't always with wet boards, if out of position, if his opponents seem like the type to check-raise, etc. Just from watching his video (which I've seen about 5 times since I'm trying to learn how to play cash tables... slow learner I guess haha ), I'm not sure how he would have responded to your check-call with that wet a board if he had had anything less than the nuts, since he's emphasized a lot in his video the need to be super cautious at 2nl? Maybe with KK he might have still bet? AK I wonder what his thoughts would be on a raise in position after somebody check-called a raise on the flop ...

I'll have to go watch the video again to see if he already answered that question

Anyways - his vids are really good if you haven't checked them out yet! Kieran's (kman's) are really good too - totally different styles though! Something for everybody

Old
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 03:22 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I don't know who chipstar1 is, but if he's as skilled as y'all are saying, then he's probably aggressive enough to raise a donk bet with a wide range. I think I'd actually choose donking the flop over check/raising in this case, since to a skilled player a check/raise looks so strong. Still I think either of those options is better than check/calling, as they both build a pot and can look bluffy at least some of the time. Check/calling doesn't!

Quote:
that's a sticky situation... flopping a set with a very bad flop.. against a very skilled opponent.
Looks like a good flop to me...A set on a board that's very likely to have hit our opponent, with tons of draws he can have/we can rep and thus he will be willing to put more money in often. Yes our hand is vulnerable on this kind of flop, but at least we're likely to get paid.

Quote:
With two 75% pot bets, the opp definitely hit part of the flop, for certain.
If the river pairs the board, I'd shove, otherwise I'd have checked again and see if he shoved or made another value bet. If it was a value bet, I'd have called it. Although, you could also rep the flush if you got to the river also.
Any Qx is hitting the flop, and QQ, QJ and KQ hit pretty darn hard, as well as KJ and AK. We're losing to AQ, Q9, KK, JJ. I'm pretty confident getting it in against his range.

Quote:
There's only 1 hand at the time that you're behind
Hero has bottom set. There are a couple other hands he's behind.

Quote:
by check/calling i was trying to represent a week hand since i was sure he will bet the turn
Check/calling looks pretty strong and doesn't build a pot. When you check/call it basically says you don't have a bluff. Even if it doesn't look like a monster, it doesn't look that weak.

Old
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 06:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
chipstar1 is PS online pro Mathew Didlick.

Old
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 08:10 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
he became a pro by playing 1 billion hands at the micros lol

Old
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2011
Your play wasn't too bad

Last edited by GLNHTY; Mon Jan 02, 2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 24, 2011, 10:05 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Mathew ... look how I managed to eliminate somebody from a tournament (after watching your video on how to get somebody's stack into the middle without them realizing it)!

(They weren't chasing draws, but I guess I still got lucky they didn't have Asxs and make a flush on the river ... )

I learned a lot from your video! Look forward to more in the future!

Sam

PS Cash games are a work in progress - I tend to get a bit tilted Coming along though!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com