Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Understanding Rake.

Old
Understanding Rake. - Wed Oct 26, 2011, 04:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
One thing that has been puzzling me is how do online poker rooms calculate rake in cash games?

I can understand in Tournaments that they payout a percentage of the entry fees in prizes but how do they do it in the cash games?

If a player buys into a 1/2c cash game with $5 and wins $1.25 then leaves the table and has $6.25 returned to his account it looks like the poker room didn't profit here at all.

Just curious as to how it works?

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 04:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
go watch a few hands on a cash table and you'll see exactly how Poker Stars makes their money.

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 05:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
One thing that has been puzzling me is how do online poker rooms calculate rake in cash games?

I can understand in Tournaments that they payout a percentage of the entry fees in prizes but how do they do it in the cash games?

If a player buys into a 1/2c cash game with $5 and wins $1.25 then leaves the table and has $6.25 returned to his account it looks like the poker room didn't profit here at all.

Just curious as to how it works?
Each individual POT is raked.

If you watch the exact bet sizes, and add them up, you will see the poker room is taking a small percentage from each pot. when you win the pot, you get the entire amount that is left over.

So if you take down a pot that you invested $1 in, and your opponent invested $1, and which the blinds contributed 3c, you do not win take down a $2.03 pot. You take down a pot worth $2.03 - the rake amount.

See?

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 05:32 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/rake/

The above link has rake tables for all of PokerStars cash games. Enjoy!

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 06:16 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/rake/

The above link has rake tables for all of PokerStars cash games. Enjoy!
Cheers TrumpinJoe,

That link answers my question.

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Cheers TrumpinJoe,

That link answers my question.

Its the reason why you have to find a table with a big average pot per hand to collect easy VPP.

Big pots = more rake = more VPP

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com