Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Should i raise the river? for value?

Old
Should i raise the river? for value? - Wed Oct 26, 2011, 07:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
BronzeStar
so the thing is this i hit trip 3 with ace kicker in a 6 limpers flop, desided to bet half of the pot
and got 1 caller - after that caller i went to passive mode.
is there any room for value on the river ?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 02:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Any pocket pair is calling the flop, maybe some overcards too, as well as 45 for the straight draw. 22 probably raises, but even if it calls it's a small part of his range. His turn min bet is annoying because it looks so weak. Still I'd probably want to raise. And yes, raise the river. If he has JJ oh well. There's plenty worse he'll pay with on every street.

This is very different from having A3 on TAA.

Old
Wed Oct 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Any pocket pair is calling the flop, maybe some overcards too, as well as 45 for the straight draw. 22 probably raises, but even if it calls it's a small part of his range. His turn min bet is annoying because it looks so weak. Still I'd probably want to raise. And yes, raise the river. If he has JJ oh well. There's plenty worse he'll pay with on every street.

This is very different from having A3 on TAA.
+1 Agree...

Because the villain bet so small on the turn 4, you gotta think at last some of the time he did not make a straight there. The only way I do not raise this at least some amount if if I have seen the Villain make a few monster bluff shoves before; obviously he may not have SURVIVED bluff shoves, but the simple act of jamming hard on potential scare cards and him getting folds would be enough to slow me up a bit in raising him.

When he leads for a more standard amount on the river, then I am pretty much going to raise that every time. Most people who are un-skilled enough at value extraction that they will think a min bet is a good idea when they made a straight on the turn, will also be prone to the mistake of a then jamming HARD on the river as their last chance to get the value they missed earlier. So the fact he does not bet hard would lead me to assume the min bet on the turn was just a weak blocker bet, and I'd be raising the river with A3 here all day.

(NOTE: If I had something like 43 here, I'd merely call the river though. That min bet could also be a 3 with a better kicker than my weak one. But you have the A kicker, so that worry goes away quite a bit.)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com