Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Those wishing to revert to Open League

Old
Those wishing to revert to Open League - Thu Oct 27, 2011, 02:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Should be allowed to go regardless of where they finish in the Premier League.

The same should apply to those finishing high and qualifying in the Open League. if they want to stay, let someone else take their place.

Quite simple, if having us all adjust a preference setting on our profile isn't technically feasible, then we ought to be able to email the request.

I write this as, within the last two days, I have seen 2 players going all in to every unraised pot from the very start. Both stated a desire to lose lots of points to go back to open. I'm not sure but playing with the stated aim of losing might even amount to chip dumping and be against the rules anyway.

This play does not reflect real poker at all. You might get someone doing this at your table, at least it would be an attempt at a strategy (which can work as one of the aforementioned players finished high ITM to his annoyance).

P

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 03:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
** moved **

Last edited by JDean; Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 03:37 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 03:37 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Your comment about the current set up of PSO League play is greatly appreciated.

There is however nothing in the rules against going all in every hand. Every player has the right to make their own decisions for their own reasons, provided they abide by the rules set forth for play on Poker Stars.

In the end, it is up to individual players to make adjustments to take advantage of players they feel are playing "sub-optimal" poker.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 05:01 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentire View Post
Should be allowed to go regardless of where they finish in the Premier League.

The same should apply to those finishing high and qualifying in the Open League. if they want to stay, let someone else take their place.

Quite simple, if having us all adjust a preference setting on our profile isn't technically feasible, then we ought to be able to email the request.

I write this as, within the last two days, I have seen 2 players going all in to every unraised pot from the very start. Both stated a desire to lose lots of points to go back to open. I'm not sure but playing with the stated aim of losing might even amount to chip dumping and be against the rules anyway.

This play does not reflect real poker at all. You might get someone doing this at your table, at least it would be an attempt at a strategy (which can work as one of the aforementioned players finished high ITM to his annoyance).

P

Why would you want to go back to the Open leage? just a bunch of all-in donks with no real poker anyway. Besides theres more money to be made in the premier league.

If at all you cant complain, its all free money, its not like you pay for it.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
This question has been asked before. We will have an answer on the option very soon.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 03:00 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2010
Why do people want to stay in the Open League?

Several have taken the option not to play in the Premier League having qualified through the Open.

They have certain edges in the Open game that they lose in the Premier League

1) the time required to play a huge amont of games, a major factor in the Open Skill League.
(I managed 100 once but a lot will play almost all the available games, almost 180). In the Premier one tourney a day is plenty to have a good go at it, though the better you are, the more tourneys you can play will benefit you and counteract the inevitable variance you will always get.

2) an edge in skill over the vast majority of the players they are up against, many of whom are not even part of PSO and playing for the pennies not the League prizes.

3)When they do get to the latter stages they will do pretty well often enough, even if most times they will be short stacked, due to their skill edge, so they may not win or get to FTs often but will take plus points almost every game

4) the structure is very exploitable - the timebanking / folding and waiting for monsters late in the tournament to double up from is a very succesfull strategy

5) they only need 20VPPs to get super prizes at the top end of the Open Skill League, and think 150VPPs is beyond their range - this is nonsense, but they cling to some idea they are saving some cash by not going for the 150 - obviously this is true only if you are a losing player

HOWEVER

1) Every time they do well and qualify for the Premier League, by then not subsequently playing (or playing to lose) in the Premier they will miss a month of potential prizes

2) The big prizes in the Premier League are very much higher, (as they should be), than in the Open League

3) They will not be improving their general poker game by playing every alternate month in the Open, as very few other games will reward the style of play that is succesful there

4) They may have a modicum of poker skill, but their brains are pretty warped.

(OK number 4 is more of an opinion than a fact - but it needs saying)

I think the Open still needs a lot of changes, in the same way the Premier League has already been drastically improved in its short life - but as long as I don't have to play in the Open I am quite happy.

I believe any quality poker player will do better in the long run in the Premier than the Open. The Open is exploitable, but it takes a huge amount of time and discipline to do so. I hope they make the Open less attractive. Most will still play anyway and the best will move on to learn, train and get to play in the Premier.

And I definitely would not let people choose to refuse their Premier spot - if you qualify for the Prem, man up and play, or sit out the month and go back to your game versus the 70% noobs and idiots. Take the hit for a month for your lack of ambition, and don't expect any respect.

The good thing is, for everybody who qualifies and doesn't play in the Prem, the already large number who requalify (800/1500) becomes a better percentage. (800/1418 as of now) so for those of us who want to play and compete at a higher level it is all good.

I know I will crash and burn soon, as 600-700 do every month, but I will always try to get back to the premier as soon as I can - in my humble opinion it is the best quality free poker game with the best prize potential anywhere on this earth.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
** moved **

The sausage king is a mod now???

LOL,I give it 2 weeks tops before someone's ban is over BEFORE they finish reading JD's PM as to why they got the ban in the first place.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
This question has been asked before. We will have an answer on the option very soon.

Yeah Dano,but JD is a mod now!!!!

Does the PSO staff have casual Fridays? 'Cause if so you know he's gonna be rocking the assless chaps tomorrow.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 08:17 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
You should have noticed a few changes Mox.
Let's see how long this takes the group to find 'em all.

And I'm not sure what it has to do with my statement.?.? We will have the skinny on this very soon.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Yeah Dano,but JD is a mod now!!!!

Does the PSO staff have casual Fridays? 'Cause if so you know he's gonna be rocking the assless chaps tomorrow.
Funny, as soon as it was ok'ed for me to become a mod, this was heard playing through Poker Stars speakers everywhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He82NBjJqf8

I have no clue what it is refering to...

And FYI, the ass-less chaps are Cowboy's "thang".

Last edited by JDean; Thu Oct 27, 2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
You should have noticed a few changes Mox.
Let's see how long this takes the group to find 'em all.

And I'm not sure what it has to do with my statement.?.? We will have the skinny on this very soon.

LOL,JWK is one as well I see.

WTF I think McCriss,Roomik,the Shouter and myself are the only Americans who AREN'T mods now,lol.

Maybe we can form a counter-balance group in answer to the mods. What would be apropos for the 4 of us?.....

I got it...

....the 'Wads.

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:14 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Or maybe call yourselves the "Forum Gods"?

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Or maybe call yourselves the "Forum Gods"?
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a God, you say 'yes!'"

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 11:53 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
SO WAS IT ONE OF THE MODS THAT DERAILED THIS THREAD ??

Old
who the heck are you???? - Fri Oct 28, 2011, 02:12 AM
(#15)
Since: Feb 2011
[B][I]Why would you want to go back to the Open leage? just a bunch of all-in donks with no real poker anyway.

We are all a bunch of all in donks are we!!! Who the heck are you anyway. What gives you the right to talk to league players or any players for that matter like that.Sir, .

Last edited by TOO2COO; Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 04:27 AM
(#16)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by manx999 View Post
[B][I]Why would you want to go back to the Open leage? just a bunch of all-in donks with no real poker anyway.

We are all a bunch of all in donks are we!!! Who the heck are you anyway. What gives you the right to talk to league players or any players for that matter like that.Sir, .
Thanks for offending me Hope ull get at least a warning for that.

The fact that 1000 players already lost before my first hand is completed gives me to right to talk like that

Last edited by TOO2COO; Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
(#17)
Since: Nov 2007
I have already stated my thoughts on the opt out and tend to agree with Ed.

I did not play PSO this month mainly due to work issues and a total reevaluation of my game for this format. I still acquired a lot of VPPs playing relatively little cash and might make a final three day push at staying in the Premier. If not, I will play the open in November to get back up.

BTW well done Pentire on your Premier League position and I hope you go on to take it down

TC

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#18)
I offended you. You offended everyone who plays Open League by calling them DONKS. Judging by your standing in the league you really have no place to make comments like that anyway.............

I got a warning but at least I am prepared to stand up for those players who are not DONKS

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
(#19)
Since: Feb 2010
The Open League has a real mix of standards of players, due to it being Open - to all and anybody - it might well be some players first ever game. There will be 'donks', an unhelpfully derogatory term for inexperienced or maniac players, there will be good players too. The style of play is undoubtedly many maniacs, very few LAGs, who simply can't play too loose versus maniacs, and a reasonable number of TAGs. I have no problem with any of these players, but it is a very difficult game to learn from as it has very specific requirements to play succesfully over a month for the top prizes. I admire those players who do well in it consistently for their adaptation and stamina, but think they would find the premier more rewarding in terms of both enjoyment and long term profits.

I don't like playing the Open but when I have to do it again I will. Those who choose to stay there, well, its up to them, I think it is a poor decision in a game where decision making is key, but those who are doing well there consistently could well prove me wrong.

Good luck to all in both Open and Premier

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
(#20)
well said. That's how a post in the forum should be. You express your point of view without putting anyone down or making derogatory comments

Thanks

See you on the tables

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com