Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

PLO lucky to win???

Old
PLO lucky to win??? - Thu Oct 27, 2011, 06:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I had been at this table for just under an hour. The villain had just arrived less than two orbits before and immediately two other players left!

None of the hands he played went to showdown because he was very aggressive with the hands he played.

I decide to see a flop with my Ks, I hit my set, and two hearts to the second nut flush draw. Villain leads out for just over 2/3 pot. He is definitely on a draw or draws and I decide to over bet for value and show that I believe I am way ahead at this point. When he bets big again I feel I cannot fold my set even though I feel he could be favourite to out draw me, so I shove.

Turn is a brick, and the river pairs the board. Yahoo!!

On reflection though and looking at the hand in the clear light of day I feel I got very lucky. I am not very experienced at PLO and would like to know the optimum play should I ever face a similar situation again.

Thanks in advance,

TC

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
You had made a hand on the flop
He was bullying trying to get you to fold post flop on a draw with 16 outs
Then he only had 15 outs on the river so you was 70/30 favorite to win
Well played

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
With top set + 2nd nut flush draw, getting it in on the flop is great for sure.

The only thing you said I can't agree with is this:

Quote:
He is definitely on a draw or draws
This just is not true, maybe you're typing this after seeing the result. He should have some draw potential to get it in on the flop, but it's not definite. He should have AA with the nut flush draw or a wrap, or exactly the type of hand he did have. Many players will get it in with middle set here though without a second thought, putting you on a draw. And weaker players (of which there are a lot) will get in top 2 pair or a even a naked AAxx here.

The read aside, I think your play on this one was great.

Dave

Old
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I like it too. The other hand that I've seen some players get it in with is 2nd set, and if they have a lower set, they have 1 out on you.

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:07 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post

This just is not true, maybe you're typing this after seeing the result.

Dave
Believe it or not when he raised on the flop I immediately thought flush or straight draw; as I say I am a very inexperienced PLO player. I actually examined all my other hands in this session and the number of times I laid down to a coordinated flop was very predictable and exploitable, when I was probably ahead.

I am sure your advice will help me make better decisions in the future.

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
Have never played PLO, but didnt he have a straight?

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
no-- you must use only 2 cards from your hole cards.In omaha you have to use 2 of your hole cards you cannot " play the board" either you have to put 2 of your cards up.

Last edited by taxi128; Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:40 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi128 View Post
no-- you must use only 2 cards from your hole cards.
ah k so you can only use 2 of your 4 hole cards to make a hand, are the hand ranks still the same?

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:42 AM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
Have never played PLO, but didnt he have a straight?
You have to use 2 of your cards in your hand.
Not like like holdem were you can play the board.
You cant only use 1 of your cards and you cant use 3 or 4 of them either.

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:45 AM
(#10)
Here is a link to the rules of Omaha; hand rankings are the same as Holdem:

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/games/omaha/

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
hands are still the same just unlike holdem you must use 2 cards

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com