Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

First try at serious multitabling

Old
Default
First try at serious multitabling - Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
(#1)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
To understand my story you will first need some background info. I am a very impatient player. normally I play 1-2 tables while playing a movie because i'm bored. After a while its getting more boring and i start playing more and more bad hands untill i finally lose.

Yesterday i've tried multitabling for the first time for 6 tables (don't laugh please ). I opened up 6 x fifty50 S&G's, because i was constantly busy with poker this was allowing me to wait for good hands and not get bored.

I had limited time so i couldnt reopen after a S&G was done, you could clearly see the differences between the tourney's because some tables had 6/7 left and others still had 10 players on them.

In the beginning all went well and finished the first S&G in 2nd place. but the more tables that finished, the more I got bored a played poor hands. At the end i calculated a total big loss of $ 0.94. Doesnt seem much to you guys problaby but I always deposit 20 euros (about 27 dollars at a time (somehow it always dissapear ))

It seems my patience level increases with the ammount of tables that I am playing, this evening im gonna try multitabling for more then 1 hour and see if it brings me any pleasure/profit.

Any thoughts on this story?

p.s. Will be online on the Teamspeak server this evening, it's been a long time
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:43 AM
(#2)
RockerguyAA's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,089
BronzeStar
Speaking from experience, you have two options:

1) Multitable to your hearts content - as many tables as you can handle while still atleast breaking even. Unless you don't care about your bankroll then you can play so many that you simpy lose, or lose more.

2) Deposit more. Make larger deposits and play higher stakes. I can assure you, a $50 all-in preflop is WAY more exciting than a $2 all-in preflop. A good run at 50NL could show $200 profit and the same thing at 2NL would show $8 profit. Of course, you also stand to lose much more as well. So your decisions have a lot more weight to them, as there is much more on the line.

*If your a winning player at your current stakes, try to not multitable so much that you start losing. If you want to play higher stakes, remember that the skill level will jump up greatly.
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:48 AM
(#3)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Speaking from experience, you have two options:

1) Multitable to your hearts content - as many tables as you can handle while still atleast breaking even. Unless you don't care about your bankroll then you can play so many that you simpy lose, or lose more.

2) Deposit more. Make larger deposits and play higher stakes. I can assure you, a $50 all-in preflop is WAY more exciting than a $2 all-in preflop. A good run at 50NL could show $200 profit and the same thing at 2NL would show $8 profit. Of course, you also stand to lose much more as well. So your decisions have a lot more weight to them, as there is much more on the line.

*If your a winning player at your current stakes, try to not multitable so much that you start losing. If you want to play higher stakes, remember that the skill level will jump up greatly.
well thats the problem, sometimes I win something but im a long term losing player because i cant keep my attention to the game e.g. distracted fast
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:54 AM
(#4)
MEVpaul's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 143
BronzeStar
U dont have enough passion for the game simple
If Pamela Anderson walked into your room while playing u shouldnt be distracted by her looool
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
I used to do the exact same thing and I can tell you it doesnt work long term.

You need to find something you enjoy playing,the fifty50s are really boring imo.
Try your hand at something that feeds that need,I found it with cash games and HUSNGs.

Its a bad thing to have going on in your head,when you feel like doing something else you should be listening to your head and taking a break.

I dont know what level you are playing at but one way to fill the void is taking notes,I find once I do that there really isnt much time in between hands. Although it feels pointless at the micros.

I personally think its a leak to feel this way and I have felt that way so its not like Im coming down hard on you.Im the guy that thought multitabling 24 tables would keep me on point,it put me in bad spots and made my leaks that much bigger.I had tilt issues that would snowball from one bad beat and I couldnt get any reads. I started playing 2 tables at a time and now Im back to 8 not because I need to but I can.

Look into yourself and find another game,I truely think any form of doubleup STTs are going to force you to play a style that isnt authentic to you.
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
(#6)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,501
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
I found it with cash games and HUSNGs.
These are good game play solutions for this. With cash games you don't have tables closing like in sng's, so if your comfort zone for pace is 6 tables, you can always have 6 going for your entire session. And with HU sng's you are always in action each hand and in many more marginal spots, so that shouldn't be boring.
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
(#7)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,814
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you also don't have to have all of them bet the same game either. You can have a couple 50/50's for example up, along with a couple of cash tables. Sometimes having two or 3 game types open at the same time will make you concentrate better. If I was starting to slow down some or get a little bored with a hold'em game, I'd get an omaha 8 table open, to get me to concentrate more... and it would get me right back to my game.
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 02:00 PM
(#8)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
I strongly recommend not to try and mass table HU games.... unless you have lots of $
 
Old
Default
Thu Oct 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
(#9)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
i actually suck at HU, it needs a total different playstyle then mine, its hard to play TAG on HU
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 01:57 AM
(#10)
dale442's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
To understand my story you will first need some background info. I am a very impatient player. normally I play 1-2 tables while playing a movie because i'm bored. After a while its getting more boring and i start playing more and more bad hands untill i finally lose.

Yesterday i've tried multitabling for the first time for 6 tables (don't laugh please ). I opened up 6 x fifty50 S&G's, because i was constantly busy with poker this was allowing me to wait for good hands and not get bored.

I had limited time so i couldnt reopen after a S&G was done, you could clearly see the differences between the tourney's because some tables had 6/7 left and others still had 10 players on them.

In the beginning all went well and finished the first S&G in 2nd place. but the more tables that finished, the more I got bored a played poor hands. At the end i calculated a total big loss of $ 0.94. Doesnt seem much to you guys problaby but I always deposit 20 euros (about 27 dollars at a time (somehow it always dissapear ))

It seems my patience level increases with the ammount of tables that I am playing, this evening im gonna try multitabling for more then 1 hour and see if it brings me any pleasure/profit.

Any thoughts on this story?

p.s. Will be online on the Teamspeak server this evening, it's been a long time

As talked about in another thread by some very respected people in here, that self discipline is the most important character trait of a profitable poker player.

I would set out to you that until you find this trait, you may continue to have problems.

It would seem to be the best place for you to start.


Dale
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 02:50 AM
(#11)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Well seems i broke even yesterday by 0.08 cents loss and 20vpp made wasa great experience. It really improved my game and i will post the full story about it here later
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 03:38 AM
(#12)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Ok so here's the full report.

Started by turning on teamspeak, it was very enjoyable. Spike was there and razzys. Opened up 4 x fifty50's, a table of razzys and at the end the open league freeroll.

Spike has no money and wants to wait untill the open freeroll pays out so he was watching most of my tables. His advice was very appreciated and the humor was deffinately in there.

More people kept joining teamspeak, I played some good SNG's after 30 minuts I got my first downswing but the guys and girls at teamspeak dragged me through it. When razzys was done playing I opened up a 5th 50fifty so I always had 6 tables open.

After I finished 262 (my highest ever!) in the open League and gained 65.01 points, i decided to play out all my SNG's and look at my profit/loss.

I've had my ups and downs in the SNG's and ended with 0.08 loss and 20 VPP won so it's kind of even. I've enjoyed this part very much and learned and laughed alot with Spike and anyone else.

So I decided to try something else, cash tables. opened up 4 x 0.02/0.05 tables with minimum buy-in of 2 dollars each. I got pocket kings and bet 4 BB, 2 players called me, flop drops and gives me a set! So i decided I had the best hand and slow play it and just check. The guy behind me hits a set of 2s' and bets a big ammount. The third guy hit top pair with high kicker and decided to go all-in. I raised all-in and the other guy calls. showdowns commences and I win a pot of 5 dollars!

After seeing how the blinds keep eating me on the other tables I make risky all-in moves and get called twice and lost. At the end i figured out cash tables arent really my thing. I enjoy playing SNG's more and left the tables with a total loss of 1 dollar.

Spike recommended me to watch the Spacegravy SNG videos in the archive, so thats what I did when waiting for the next Open league and while playing it. ended 2243 there with 0.01 points lost. Watched Spike playing for a while before i decided to end the evening and go to bed.



p.s. tell me if you like my reports, if so i'll make more of them
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 04:08 AM
(#13)
dale442's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 553
Since I mentioned in an earlier post here about a great thread for you to read....

Here is the link...


http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Poll-question...


Dale
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 04:09 AM
(#14)
Deleted user
I always enjoy a good read on peoples poker journey.

The trick to cash is having enough of a roll to not worry about calling a allin.
At least for me,I find my game is so much better with a roll behind me.

This teamspeak costs money? Why not use skype? Just curious,Im sure Spike could fill me in.
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 04:15 AM
(#15)
dale442's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
I always enjoy a good read on peoples poker journey.

The trick to cash is having enough of a roll to not worry about calling a allin.
At least for me,I find my game is so much better with a roll behind me.

This teamspeak costs money? Why not use skype? Just curious,Im sure Spike could fill me in.

Skype has been awesome for me. Chatting it up with a couple of other degen dumbazzes has been a blast. Also, a great learning experience as well.


Dale
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 04:29 AM
(#16)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
I always enjoy a good read on peoples poker journey.

The trick to cash is having enough of a roll to not worry about calling a allin.
At least for me,I find my game is so much better with a roll behind me.

This teamspeak costs money? Why not use skype? Just curious,Im sure Spike could fill me in.
Becauase spike has a teamspeak, its free for me nobody ever wants to skype so i turned to TS

Ok so heres the 5 dollar hand. Seems the 3rd person had a straight draw and ended with pair of aces.

5 dollar hand

Last edited by XxTiberxX; Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 05:01 AM..
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 07:41 AM
(#17)
TOO2COO's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,882
(Super-Moderator)
**moved**
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:18 AM
(#18)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO2COO View Post
**moved**
how is this a beginner question? just general talk about multitabling...
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
(#19)
TOO2COO's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,882
(Super-Moderator)
We feel it fits better here as it be a good read for anyone who wants to start Multi tabling with some of the info shared
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 29, 2011, 05:06 AM
(#20)
spike8998's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
I always enjoy a good read on peoples poker journey.

The trick to cash is having enough of a roll to not worry about calling a allin.
At least for me,I find my game is so much better with a roll behind me.

This teamspeak costs money? Why not use skype? Just curious,Im sure Spike could fill me in.
Teamspeak is free to all thanks to a generous benefactor and all are welcome

 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com