Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

what started great ended in drama!! till next month

Old
Wink
what started great ended in drama!! till next month - Sun Oct 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
(#1)
77wopke77's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 482
BronzeStar
started great this month! my bankroll management was the best but i managed and builded up my 150 VPP's and then it started! i blowed my br and tumbled way out of the top 50 in the premier way back under the top 200 feeling desperate and clueless.

u ask why!! well it's because i wonder how i can play so well in the beginning and make such huge mistakes and clueless playes later in the month.

maybe it's the frustration of not getting rewarded when making the right playes over and over or not exactly knowing how to pick spots

today's tour was the top of my frustration finishing 350 out of 356 just becaused i get shoved 3 tines in a row and end up chasing a flush wich ofcourse was a realy bad call.

i play the premier next month because i love the game! but if the leaks can't be stopped then i call it a quit because i first have to get back in the books lol and uncover my weaknesses or save money for a hud lol

till november!!
 
Old
Default
Sun Oct 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
(#2)
TrumpinJoe's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
maybe it's the frustration of not getting rewarded when making the right playes over and over or not exactly knowing how to pick spots
Results oriented thinking does its damage again. The immediate feedback in poker should be making the right decision, not raking the pot. Make enough right decisions and you be raking more pots your way but that is a LONG TERM benefit. Single trial (or hand) results are meaningless and dangerous to your psyche.

You MUST make good decisions your goal.

This took me years to learn, not days or months. I hope you aren't as slow as I was.
 
Old
Default
Sun Oct 30, 2011, 05:04 PM
(#3)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
Your PSO Premier record this month is good, you will always have a bad run somewhere during most months play. I often feel if you start the month really well, as you did, your expectations go up. Then when you slip back as you inevitably will a good percentage of the time, it seems more disappointing. I've had this a few times myself, got into top ten early in the month and dropped back, but still won a prize. If you start badly and then climb up later in the month you somehow feel better about finishing roughly the same.

If your final position is top 10%-30% it is not a bad month. Only when you miss all the potential bad stuff over most of the month and get lots of good runs will you get top 5%.

You'll be fine in the long run in PSO - and it's free entry - so no bother. Play as and when you want, but I reckon you'll get your appetite back after another good tournament or two.

See you on the Premier League tables in November.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
 
Old
Wink
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:44 AM
(#4)
77wopke77's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 482
BronzeStar
I know trumpin but it would be Nice sometimes that the luik factor worked my way to give u the boost to stay Sharp lol. Last negative tours i tend to let my SS clash with THE highest cards in hand. Maybe not al of them my best plays but still. My last ten tours when i Shove à 3 BB stack on an A9s or AQ or 77 or 88 i saw most of The time AK, JJ, QQ or even more frutrating 99 or TT against me. And most of the tours i obviously lost.

But it would be nice to see à Q hit the flop of u play AQ against AK instead of AKK lol

Not Always because it stays poker and u can loose any given hand but à 2 week downswing is working on your nerves lol.

Just asking for à bit more luck sometimes lol

How do u cowboy say it? Sadle up and ride another day?
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
(#5)
TrumpinJoe's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,557
I hope its not too depressing but downswings longer than two weeks happen. My longest has been about 3 months. AA gets cracked then KK runs into AA, etc. Play enough poker and you will see everything. Although its hasn't happened to me I've seen a str8 flush beaten. Focusing on decisions rather than results helps me to weather these storms of variance.
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 06:51 PM
(#6)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,517
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
Although its hasn't happened to me I've seen a str8 flush beaten.
There was a straight flush beaten at the local card room by me, less than 1 month after it opened in May. Of course, that guy was extremely happy about his "bad luck", as the room has a bad beat jackpot. 5d6d vs TdJd, flop was 7d8d9c, turn 9d. The jackpot hasn't been hit since (it takes quad 8's or better getting beat).
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 07:19 PM
(#7)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,860
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
I hope its not too depressing but downswings longer than two weeks happen. My longest has been about 3 months.
I had one last about two months. Seems no matter what I did during it either, every premium hand I had got beat. Just keep playing your game and play through it is all you can do.
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 07:55 PM
(#8)
FLsnookman's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 565
I also experiance huge swings in varience and I am SLOWLY learning to handle it better. Listen to Langolier, JWK and TrumpinJoe. They have the experiance and are all great players. Poker can be a kick in the head if we let it but its so dang addictive that we must learn to deal with it or quit. As for me im hooked so I need to learn to remove myself emotionally from the game and just make the correct play and let the cards fall as they may.
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 08:09 PM
(#9)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
I know trumpin but it would be Nice sometimes that the luik factor worked my way to give u the boost to stay Sharp lol. Last negative tours i tend to let my SS clash with THE highest cards in hand. Maybe not al of them my best plays but still. My last ten tours when i Shove à 3 BB stack on an A9s or AQ or 77 or 88 i saw most of The time AK, JJ, QQ or even more frutrating 99 or TT against me. And most of the tours i obviously lost.

But it would be nice to see à Q hit the flop of u play AQ against AK instead of AKK lol

Not Always because it stays poker and u can loose any given hand but à 2 week downswing is working on your nerves lol.

Just asking for à bit more luck sometimes lol

How do u cowboy say it? Sadle up and ride another day?

One thing you should consider doing wopke is instead of letting yourself get blinded down to 3 or 4 BB's left and shipping hands like A9s,Aq and 88 or less start trying this...

...learn how to get position and read dependent on the table that you're on in order to see spots to be shoving hands WEAKER than the ones you're shoving with a shorter stack as this will A: let you use fold equity,which is impossible to do with 3-4 BB's,always do this as FIRST aggressor into the pot,remember it takes a better hand to call than it does to raise (or shove) and B: even if you are called by say a hand like AJ,A10 or KQ or whatever you are better off against that type of hand with TWO live cards than you would be if one of you cards is blocked (say like if you shove A9s and get called by AJ,your Ace is trash at that point whereas if you jammed say 87s BOTH your cards are live).

Remember,and this is one of the hardest things to learn to fully embrace when playing against weaker competition because they do call down more with marginal holdings,that quality of cards is only one way to win a poker hand.

Good luck.
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 08:15 PM
(#10)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsnookman View Post
I also experiance huge swings in varience and I am SLOWLY learning to handle it better. Listen to Langolier, JWK and TrumpinJoe. They have the experiance and are all great players. Poker can be a kick in the head if we let it but its so dang addictive that we must learn to deal with it or quit. As for me im hooked so I need to learn to remove myself emotionally from the game and just make the correct play and let the cards fall as they may.

Emotion needs to be controlled for sure,but one should never confuse passion and emotion as the same. Not saying you do snook,but for others I think this is an important distinction to make.

Passion,i.e. "being hooked" ,is a great thing if properly channeled because it's passion that can give one the desire and will to work hard and improve their game. And if you become truly passionate about this then that work isn't even work really,it's doing and learning more about something you love.
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:08 PM
(#11)
TrumpinJoe's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,557
One brutal way to suffer thru a downswing is to play Razz. Suddenly you'll be getting boats and having to muck them!
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:15 PM
(#12)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,860
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
One brutal way to suffer thru a downswing is to play Razz. Suddenly you'll be getting boats and having to muck them!
+1
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:20 PM
(#13)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,226
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
but à 2 week downswing is working on your nerves lol.
Two weeks !!!!

I'm currently in week ten of the worst run I've ever experienced. Just as well I don't live where you do. I think my lappy would be in the canal by now
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 11:00 PM
(#14)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Two weeks !!!!

I'm currently in week ten of the worst run I've ever experienced. Just as well I don't live where you do. I think my lappy would be in the canal by now

You're not THAT far from the Channel are you? Open up a window and give it a good chuck.
 
Old
Default
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:54 AM
(#15)
77wopke77's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 482
BronzeStar
tnx a lot guys !! is any one knowing if there are articles about positioning and reading opponents because the live sessions are not in my timezone
 
Old
Default
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:03 PM
(#16)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
tnx a lot guys !! is any one knowing if there are articles about positioning and reading opponents because the live sessions are not in my timezone
Here's one to start.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...on-23-Position
 
Old
Default
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:09 PM
(#17)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,860
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
check the video archive. Most of the live training sessions are taped and put there. If you cannot make it to one, please check the archive and you can then watch them whenever you want.
 
Old
Default
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:11 PM
(#18)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
tnx a lot guys !! is any one knowing if there are articles about positioning and reading opponents because the live sessions are not in my timezone

Hi there,

If you can't make live training, go to the top of this page, find the videos tab ,click on that, when the page comes up scroll down to Live Training and look for the Langolier. He has 50+ recorded video training sessions you can watch at your own time/pace, covering most topics and the quality is very good.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
 
Old
Default
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:15 PM
(#19)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
And here is a second.
Both can be found in the archived videos, under the video tab up top. These are both done by Dave and can be found by clicking on The Langolier's red videos link.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...r-exploitation

These 2 are just a sample of what may be found on the topics you're looking for.
 
Old
Default
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:16 PM
(#20)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
amazing what a little search can do!
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com