Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

illogical moves from my opponents??

Old
illogical moves from my opponents?? - Mon Oct 31, 2011, 12:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
how do you deal with people who think ur bluffing but never call with what they think is the best hand, when ur actually sitting there with the best hand? also, have u noticed a lot of times in a sng that some donkey doubles up a small stack and it ends up screwing u because u were a small stack and now it only makes it that much harder for you to make a cash? how do u deal with these two situations?

Old
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
The 2nd question is something that drives me up the wall,but then again why did I let my self get so short? To often I rely on the bubble being the guy 100 chips less than me and it backfires,so I try to be proactive and get my stack up in the right spots.

1st question.. I always get shocked when a guy has shoved or raised every hand and when you get kK he folds. I find a good way to conteract that is to be the aggressor for small pots and get them thinking your a loose player or a donk. Showing down a garbage hand when you shouldnt be in the pot on the river for cheap pays off later on.

I dont consider myself a good SNG player though unless it is a STT,otherwise Im just to passive.

Old
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I minraise everything, wether its KQ AK<,AA whatever dont give them any reads at all, most people get a monster and 4 and 5bet , just keep your raises all the same and see how it works out

I get real agressive near the bubble, I am either shoving on my button or blinds..I hate seeing the table idiot trying to call shoves with crap, so I live and die by the sword...Dont wait for someone else to bust, make the moves first dont wait for them to make them on you

Old
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
how do you deal with people who think ur bluffing but never call with what they think is the best hand, when ur actually sitting there with the best hand?
Start bluffing them more.

Quote:
also, have u noticed a lot of times in a sng that some donkey doubles up a small stack and it ends up screwing u because u were a small stack and now it only makes it that much harder for you to make a cash?
Yeah, but remember sometimes the donk doubles YOU up and it screws someone else. And often the donk isn't around at the end game anyway. It's kind of like blackjack when some guy in 1st base doesn't know how to play and hits 16 when the dealer is showing a 6, and takes a ten that would have made your hand. Sometimes the guy takes a ten that would have busted you too. We tend to remember the times we're injured by the illogical action, and not the times we're helped by it... but I figure it probably evens out in the end.

Old
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 07:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2011
Fairly new to this forum and all that goes with it, but what i will say to you pal is DO NOT try bluff players at lower stakes, 4get it man!! It aint guna work!! You might get the odd bluff or semi bluff through but in the long run at lower stakes you will get called down to showdown..
You will sense yourself after a while at the tables, the solid tight players, u can bluff these players on occasions but a general rule i try to stick to is stay away from bluffing low stakes loose ass players!!!

Old
Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briany84 View Post
Fairly new to this forum and all that goes with it, but what i will say to you pal is DO NOT try bluff players at lower stakes, 4get it man!! It aint guna work!! You might get the odd bluff or semi bluff through but in the long run at lower stakes you will get called down to showdown..
You will sense yourself after a while at the tables, the solid tight players, u can bluff these players on occasions but a general rule i try to stick to is stay away from bluffing low stakes loose ass players!!!
Definitely don't bluff loose callers.

But players that fold even though they think you're bluffing, you should bluff more often.

Both statements are not stakes-specific.

Old
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:50 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
thx for ur input everyone

in sngs i typically play a lot tighter than in cash games. i think that my biggest problem is betting differently when i have the goods in a cash game and when im just betting to test the waters and try to pick up the odd pot here and there. i think my opponents are just better able to sense what i'm trying to do than i am able to sense what they are doing.

im much better at sngs because i understand how the "ebb and flow" of tournaments work. so much of ur actions depends on the blind levels and how close u are to cashing, and how many players are left. it just seems like in cash games, the possibilities are so much more vast that it's hard to constantly make the right move. i know i lose mental focus a lot quicker playing cash games than sngs/mtts.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com