Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

having the patience for MTT

Old
having the patience for MTT - Tue Nov 01, 2011, 05:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi PSO,

I was wondering how everyone found the patience to go through a multi-hour tournament. I've found that even though I love playing poker, and I love the idea of a league, I cannot always find the patience to sit through for instance a 4.5 hour Open league.

I've played the open league for the past four days and finshed somewhere in the 3900 range, so I think I did pretty well, but I almost never advance past the second hour of the tournament. This is mostly because my impatience/boredom makes me prone to bad calls. I get the 'whatever' attitude. I want to know if any of you experience this, and if so, what do you do to combat it? :p

Love,

Enni

Old
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 06:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
First of all, the Open league is very different from a normal MTT

Open league - 10.000 players - 5.000 left after 15 minutes - end after approx 4 hours.
The bigger 5.50 - 10.230 players - 9.500 left after 15 minutes - went out at 147th place after 7 hours.

If you play the open league be sure to let the computer fold you every turn (sit out) and sit back in its a valid strategy for ending in the top 1400 (without playing even 1 hand). The first hour dont play anything except AA or KK, you can try AK but some donk is gonna call and luck you out problaby.

Second hour if you are low and chips and have a reasonable hand A-J for example, be sure to go all-in, this eliminates the chance to bluff you out with a raise. Its either fold and steal the blinds or call and hope you get doubled up.

Patience is the key, I lose my patience as well if I play only 1 table, thats why i'm playing 6 at the same time

Buy an elastic and put it around ur whrist, pull it everytime you want to play anything else then AA or KK in the first hour untill you dont play it.

Old
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 08:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Patience came to me in stages. Played a few single table tourneys, then the SNG games. Next, I went for those astrology freerolls. You want to learn patience, try those games. It takes several hours getting high enough to earn tickets. It is something you do not learn without training.

Now I'm forced into play money as an American, but the advice given earlier is valid. You'll also want to learn that in the Open League, delay is the way. Use the clock to the max. Remember that your objective is positive points. If this new league is anything like the one before Black Friday, the breakeven point is when 75% of the field is eliminated. Make that your objective.

If you are wondering where that point can be found without a lot of math, do what I did. Take the number of players who will make the money and double it. If you can get above this point on a consistent basis, you'll most likely score enough points to move to the next league. Be sure you get those VPPS, which should keep your mind from becoming bored.

Best of luck to you.

Old
Tue Nov 01, 2011, 08:26 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you ever play the quarter or 50 cent mtt's, I've been in those for over 6 hrs before. MTT's, if you make a deep run, will always last at least 5 hours, normally 6-8 hrs plus. Live tourneys are also alot longer than online. A live turbo style tourney will last 3+ hrs, even with only 40-50 entrants. Many of them take days to complete (the longest I've been in one was over 12 hrs).

You'll need to have the same patience the entire tourney too. As soon as you lose your patience, you'll be in trouble in them (unless you're really lucky).

Having something in the background, music or tv, etc OR a second game open normally will help too.

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 06:27 AM
(#5)
Maybe I should just play more tables at the same time then? I looked at my stats for last month and they are like this.

I played 7 tournaments, with 4 ending within the top 1000, 1 within top 2000 and 2 out of the top 3000 (silly me :p). My best result was 160th. I ended up with and overall rank of 3900. I think 3 out of 4 times I could have ended up higher, but I did something stupid.

There is always just this turning point for me somewhere in the second hour where I just get imensly bored and just call with stupid odds, or bad hands, because the patience is gone. I do play with music in the background. Perhaps I should go a bit more extreme and just play sims

If I stry multitabling, where should I start? I'm worried that I'll just get confused, because even though I'm a woman, multitasking is not really my thing

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 09:13 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
From my experience, I've hade the same problem, but since 2 weeks i've started multi-tabling. It seems hard but its easy once you get used to it. when you have 6 tables at the same time, the chances are 6 times bigger that you end up with a good hand. And just fold the other 5. It requires less patience because you get good hands more often.

Also I joined the PSO teamspeak and chat alot with other PSO members (Spike, etc.) It's alot of fun and we look at each others tables how we are doing and giving constructive feedback (after a hand has been played). It's fun and you will learn alot from it.

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 10:07 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennian View Post

If I stry multitabling, where should I start?
Try your one main table (mtt) and then if you're not sure whether or not you can play another table or 2 at the same time, try opening a freeroll sng or 2. You can try it just to see if it works for you, then, if you can make it work... try a couple of micro tourneys, instead of the play money tourneys.

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Multi-tabling can help with the boredom factor, but if the issue is playing for 2 hours and hitting a wall, it won't help. Until you can find a way to mentally get past this hump, there are a couple things you can do to keep yourself within your time frame:

-Play games that don't last longer than 2 hours. If you like mtt's, this could be smaller field sng's or even give single table sng's a try. Do a little lobby research... take a look at some different games that are "completed", and look in their tourney lobby for how long the tournament ran. For instance I think 180-player turbos take between 2-2.5 hours to complete, so even if you win it you won't hit that wall (you will go a bit over 2 hours but if you can't keep your interest during a final table then you have bigger problems than just boredom lol).

-Play cash games. These you can quit or take a break whenever you start losing interest, so you're always playing at your optimum.

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 12:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Reality check. Poker isn't for you?

Ask anyone who takes their poker seriously and they will probably tell you that they would rather be playing than doing ANYTHING else. Ask anyone who just "dabbles" and they will probably tell you that it provides them with a bit of cheap entertainment. If you fall into neither camp you may have already described your own solution.

However. If you want SIMS "and" poker, probably just as well that you got your sites mixed up

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 03:25 PM
(#10)
I don't think that poker is 'not for me'. I come from playing cash games and single table SNG's, where I can play for hours. It might just be the format of the Open league that I'm struggling with, the lack of really engaging with your table. I will try the multitabling, and when I build up my bankroll, probably hop back to my beloved cash games

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 11:27 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Ah. Well the Open League is a unique beast, the likes of which you're unlikely to find anywhere else. It doesn't suit everyone, but it serves a purpose.

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 12:22 AM
(#12)
Quote:
I don't think that poker is 'not for me'. I come from playing cash games and single table SNG's, where I can play for hours. It might just be the format of the Open league that I'm struggling with, the lack of really engaging with your table. I will try the multitabling, and when I build up my bankroll, probably hop back to my beloved cash games
I'm like you, love 9man sngs n cash tables, not too big on mtt's. These new timed tournies were designed for people like us.

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 10:48 PM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2011
(Moderator)
Quote:

There is always just this turning point for me somewhere in the second hour where I just get imensly bored and just call with stupid odds, or bad hands, because the patience is gone. I do play with music in the background. Perhaps I should go a bit more extreme and just play sims

If I stry multitabling, where should I start? I'm worried that I'll just get confused, because even though I'm a woman, multitasking is not really my thing
Sims and poker, I actually had a mind trip regarding this....my idea was to have a poker/sims MMO like game similar to facebooks civilization or maybee something like the SIms using poker games as an economy... when you first start the game youre a fish and you live like a fish, but as you progress you get to buy stuff with your poker winnings similar to the sims and deck your pad etch or bling your outfits etch as this is completely in 3d, similar to poker 3d but with a storyline and levelling system in place, because its like GTA if you come across a loot and youre a fish, you cant play in "big games" yet, but there are "underground" games you can go to in the "ghettos" at the start of the game youre living in an apartment, but if you wanted to you can go to a gangster and sell it to them for chips, but if you loose you wont have an apartment anymore and youre reduced to sleeping in the streets with newspaper or some half way so its all pretty cool really its like based on life but in game. But if you do really well, there are poker games that let you become the leader of a gang or the mayor of the city, president and world champion respectively... but the game is an MMO, because at the end of the day its still just a game, there will be places in this game where it connects with "real money" poker to sites such as pokerstars etch... well, I hope some gaming company sees this idea and steal it.

but back to your problem, boredom and playing garbage hands since youre able to play "sound" at the start some people could interpret these as a sign of "tilt" youre going on tilt and youre loosing sight of the big picture, its not that youre getting bored but somehow u feel youre not getting enough action you start playing garbage hands when u know yourself you shouldnt.

I dont wanna be the one to tell you how to improve your game because you alone can help yourself, sure try playing The sims and poker at the same time if it works for you great, if not try something else maybee read these articles which have helped me deal with anger issues at the poker tables lol *joke* the anger issues not the articles. =)

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...eys-to-Success

789 is good.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...he-Tilt-Factor

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com