Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

What would you do?

Old
What would you do? - Wed Nov 02, 2011, 11:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Just joined the table some hands before this one. No reads on the shoving opponent, the other guy was pretty loose, but kind of afraid of reraises.

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 11:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Preflop, I don't mind the check, as it helps to conceal your hand. You could also raise preflop, but it's going to depend on opp reads and how they have been playing.

On the flop, I like the call of the BB. This also keeps your hand concealed and can try to keep the others in the hand too. You also could raise the flop, since there are 3 to a flush, but if it were me, I like the call to continue to conceal the strength of our hand. However, with 3 to a straight on the board, I'd hope that a 4th to the straight did not fall on the turn or river.

The Q on the turn wouldn't change my thinking at all. If anyone had QQ, they should be raising preflop. I like the size of your raise and it kept both opponents in, getting more value for you. With two opps left in, the range I'd put them on are AQ, KQ, 55, 77, 6x, 8x or two hearts.

The 10 on the river does complete a straight to J8 or KJ. I'd rule out 10's, because if the opp had that, they should have folded when the Q hit the turn due to only 2 outs. Yes, they could have 68s, J8 or KJ, but there are alot of worse hands that they could have also that they would want to try and bluff you out of the hand with, or they could also have AQ, KQ or Q10.
Q10 is a good possibility, as the opp would want to see the flop, had 2 overs to the flop, then turned top pair with a weak kicker, then improved to 2 pair.

If it were me and I had to put them on one hand, it's Q10 and I call the all-in. If they had a straight, then so be it and if they turned over QQ or 10's, then I'd be noting that they won't raise preflop.

Old
Wed Nov 02, 2011, 03:39 PM
(#3)
Thanks for the analysis JWK.

If noone else wants to do some suggestions, I will tell you tomorrow what he actually showed!

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
(#4)
It actually was Q10!

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 01:14 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Raise on the flop, slow playing tends to just cost you money most of the time. In this case the board is coordinated and the spr is 20 with the flop bettor, which means you'll need more than 3 betting rounds to play for stacks (and we have a big pot hand that would like to play for stacks if possible). Since we need 4 rounds of betting essentially, a raise is going to have to go in at some point. It will be easiest for them to call a raise early in the hand, since the raise sizing will be relatively smaller than it will be later in the hand. Also there are several turn cards that can kill the action, so try and get more money in now before one of those hits and scares everyone.

I would also raise more on the turn personally, we need to get more money in and the guy is making a weak lead, I'd be happy going .35-.40 here instead of .26.

Bet larger for value on the river. As played, definitely call the villains shove. He can have some straight combos but he'll also have slow played flopped sets and 2 pair hands like Q's up that will shove the river.

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 01:16 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnech View Post
It actually was Q10!
Yep, makes total sense in the hands of a bad player. Did Donn call too or did he muck to the shove?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com