Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Can I get a break here or what??

 
Old
Default
Can I get a break here or what?? - Thu Nov 03, 2011, 07:05 AM
(#1)
Stakehorse75's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 865
BronzeStar
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 07:17 AM
(#2)
Stakehorse75's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 865
BronzeStar
when the original raiser raised, I've got him on being fairly tight agressive, so I, putting him on AK, or AQ, probably suited decide to just call, and see if I can take it off the flop when no Ace or King hits, bmwbmw1 has been a complete call station, so I put him on just calling with any 2.

Flop came 2 hearts and was quite happy that at least 1 was a J. So, trying to make sure I get no flush callers, put out a 2400 bet in to a 2925 pot, and the call station calls, bringing an 8h, which I figured he had no part of and go all in, the 1 I figured may have hit here was gone with the suited AK/AQ, he flips over the A2 os and the 1/4 cards hits for Monsier Donk.

 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 10:38 AM
(#3)
XxTiberxX's Avatar
Since: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Unlucky for you, he has you covered in chips by alot, if its a calling station he will call with a straight draw just to get you out of the game.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 12:37 PM
(#4)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,832
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I was in the same situation in TWO tourneys yesterday (QQ with Q on flop, AA with A on flop... except both of mine got flushed on the river).

You got really unlucky in the hand.

The one thing that I would have done, would be that if I'm going to push, I'm doing it on the flop.... before the 3rd heart hits. I wouldn't want to let someone draw at a flush, or anything else for that matter, without paying the maximum for it. Pushing the flop will also maximize your fold equity in the hand.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 01:04 PM
(#5)
oriholic's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 751
BronzeStar
Really don't like the flat call preflop out of position for such a large percentage of your stack. I'd 3-bet to around 2300 and then jam the flop (any flop) or just shove pre. You're gonna hate the flop far too often. With deep stacks, flat-calling makes sense, as you don't wanna be 4-bet, but here your goal should be to get it in. You have 24 BBs, not 100.

Quote:
when the original raiser raised, I've got him on being fairly tight agressive, so I, putting him on AK, or AQ, probably suited
He's got a ton of pocket pairs in his range too.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 01:35 PM
(#6)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,512
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Really don't like the flat call preflop out of position for such a large percentage of your stack. I'd 3-bet to around 2300 and then jam the flop (any flop) or just shove pre. You're gonna hate the flop far too often. With deep stacks, flat-calling makes sense, as you don't wanna be 4-bet, but here your goal should be to get it in. You have 24 BBs, not 100.

He's got a ton of pocket pairs in his range too.
+1.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 04:07 PM
(#7)
Stakehorse75's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 865
BronzeStar
the player that had raised preflop, folded to my 2400 bet in the 2925 pot postflop, so I had figured the player I needed out was out, and didn't think other player should have been calling 2400 to what was in the pot to a 1 way straight draw, and definately shouldn't have been calling a Jam on the turn with a flush on board, while trying for a straight.

Does that make sense????

Thanks for the input, think I'll wait for the next update from PS, where the 8% draws don't hit, to start playing again... \:l

Last edited by Stakehorse75; Thu Nov 03, 2011 at 05:47 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 07:03 PM
(#8)
oriholic's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 751
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
the player that had raised preflop, folded to my 2400 bet in the 2925 pot postflop, so I had figured the player I needed out was out, and didn't think other player should have been calling 2400 to what was in the pot to a 1 way straight draw, and definately shouldn't have been calling a Jam on the turn with a flush on board, while trying for a straight.

Does that make sense????
No, not really. You don't want him out...you want him to pay off your top set with an overpair if he's got it. Although if you get two folds, you still get a decent chip up, but with such a huge hand, getting your stack in for value should be the goal. You're right that the BB shouldn't be calling...but he's a call station--that's what they do...You kicked his ass on this hand in the long term.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, think I'll wait for the next update from PS, where the 8% draws don't hit, to start playing again... \:l
That would make them 0% draws.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 07:13 PM
(#9)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,512
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
the player that had raised preflop, folded to my 2400 bet in the 2925 pot postflop, so I had figured the player I needed out was out,
No, with top set here you want everyone to get stacks in with you. Whatever this guy has, you want him IN not out like Ori said.

Quote:
and didn't think other player should have been calling 2400 to what was in the pot to a 1 way straight draw, and definately shouldn't have been calling a Jam on the turn with a flush on board, while trying for a straight.
Well you think right, of course he should not be calling any of this action with A2. He shouldn't even have called preflop. But, this is action you want. You just don't want them to peel the 4 outter, but that you can't control. Don't worry about the end result of a single trial, focus your attention on the decision making process. With poker, as in life, it's too stressful fretting over all the things you can't control. Your energy is better spent on the things you can.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com