Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Not sure on this one...

Old
Question
Not sure on this one... - Thu Nov 03, 2011, 09:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Note: the following is from a limit game
So.. when this happened I was really annoyed..
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner
And thought it was definitely a bad beat.. then I thought about the odds.. And maybe villain still made the right play...
I bet on the flop as it is fairly safe board and I have top pair.
On the turn, I still have top pair and am drawing to the nut flush.
Villain is obviously drawing to either a straight or a flush.. (although he's drawing dead to the straight) and then he hits the one card..
Pot odds on the turn, ~13%, drawing odds to his straight / flush (assuming he doesn't discount any of them, but don't think he had any real read on me) 12 outs to hit the straight or the flush so ~25% So clearly calling is the right play...

I'm starting to find limit frustrating, because you just can't protect your hands from draws... might give 1c/2c nl a go.. although I think the hyper aggression of some idiots on the tables will just get to me.

Last edited by Tomcrockpot; Thu Nov 03, 2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 09:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Dear Tom,

Here is my 2cent opinion, I think there's nth to brag about this hand. here's why,

1. A4suited is not a playable hand at your position esspecially when you limp.

2. Postflop bet look weak to me, n if i m him i'll call for sure. coz i might hit nuts straight.

3. Turn bet look like a standard continues bet as he might think you have Ax or you might already hit 2pair, but who care, he now have nuts straight n weak flush draw.

4. U hit your nut flush n do nth wrong, just a very good b bad river card for you.

So, i dont think there is anything for you to complain coz for me, you make 75% mistake that coz your money. 2cent opiniom.

Anyway, good luck at the table next time.

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 09:30 PM
(#3)
thanks..

This is a Limit hand though.. I can only bet the bet size.. For sure in NL I would have stuck way more chips in on the flop and turn.

Agreed that A4s pre flop is maybe iffy.. I'd had a run of bad cards and felt like playing a marginal hand

Old
Thu Nov 03, 2011, 09:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
yes, it's a bad beat..... but you should have never been in the situation to start with.

Here's why....

If you're going to get into the hand, raise preflop. Letting people limp into a pot with you, especially that many in a pot, is asking for trouble, espeically in limit. If you raised when it gets to you, then the opp raises, you can then re-raise him.

Suited cards like what the opp had, should go away to a capped bet preflop. Should. If the person's a calling station, then there isn't much you can do.

Last edited by JWK24; Thu Nov 03, 2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 06:59 AM
(#5)
Thanks, as I said before it was a limit hand. I'll make that clearer in future, I understand nl is the default here.

Anyway, given that, I think I played well post flop, but take on board that if I was going to play that hand should have gone in raising pre flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com