Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Gotta love this hand

Old
Gotta love this hand - Thu Nov 03, 2011, 11:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
This was maybe the 4th or 5th hand in a .25c 45 man s&g
The reason behind the check calls , are I didn't want to scare him away and get more on the river
Did I play this right ? Do you think I would have got more on the flop and turn if I just min raised ?

Old
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 12:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
This was maybe the 4th or 5th hand in a .25c 45 man s&g
The reason behind the check calls , are I didn't want to scare him away and get more on the river
Did I play this right ? Do you think I would have got more on the flop and turn if I just min raised?
Being out of position sucks, haha. I'd rather check/call than check/minraise. I think you need to lead the turn. His tiny flop bet indicates he'll probably not be making big enough bets on future streets. Just bet before that 3rd flush card comes in and kills your action. (or misses and you get none from the missed draw).

Old
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Yeah...

"Waiting" until a 2nd best hand improves is a good thing when you flop quads, but when you see this guy launch 2 bets at the pot, you gotta think he is "made" and not waiting for the draw at least some of the time. That argues toward a small turn lead, or a small turn C/R. Either of these options should be made to appear as if YOU are trying to "block" further action though, as even an opponent with AA might be "suspicious" of you holding at least 1 7. (of the 2, I'd prefer the small lead, rather than the small C/R, as the C/R is much harder to "sell" as weak).

The river though...at that point it is down to whether or not the villain holds a decent enough 2nd best hand as to whether he will call.

I've played against you quite a bit in home games Spike, and I know for a fact if you C/R'ed me, I'd toss AA in a FLASH to any half pot + river bet by you; but I feel I have a pretty strong read on your "style" (you really have to get a tad more bluff-y ) It is really down to whether your opponent here would have a similar solid "read", based on what he had seen, and how strong his hand is here.

I would think most players would call a half pot river lead by you, and probably would have called a 1/3rd to half pot lead on the turn too.

As played, your value extraction thoughts were not "bad" (it is perfectly fine to try to "wait" to bet quads until the 3rd diamond comes), but if you had made a little more aggression earlier, you might have gotten a little more here.

Bottom Line:

Quads are pretty hard to get good value on unless your opponent has a very strong 2nd best hand.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com