Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Should i be this aggresive with AQ

Old
Should i be this aggresive with AQ - Sun Nov 06, 2011, 04:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi I dont play many cash tables as i find them a little boring.
I didnt have any reads as i was playing two tables not really paying attention to other players.
I know once i get raised post flop i am probably beat but have to call anyway.
I cant imagine folding no matter how i played it.
I didnt really stop and think about it AK, AJ i am beat A10 probably not.
The best i could hope for was a split pot.
Look forward to how you would approach this hand.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 11:46 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the initial raise to 10 cents is alot more than a normal raise at these tables (would put the opp on QQ+ with a raise like that). You also get 2 callers before you. I'd have just called the initial raise or even considered mucking it preflop... especially out of position. I would not re-raise pre, because with 3 opps calling a 5BB bet already, AQ will not be the best hand and I would not want to be playing a big pot out of position.

When you hit the ace on the flop and get raised, you're going to be behind basically everytime. The opp has already called 2 raises pre and then raises again on the flop.

AK is in the opps range, but so are a set and 2 pair.

I think that's way too aggressive to be playing at a 2NL table.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 12:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You have to go with top pair good kicker in a reraised pot on PSR of 2.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:16 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
The question is should you play AQ this aggressively?
IMHO, no. Not in this situation.

To me, when the cutoff flatted your 3 bet it should have been a red flag and slowing down would have been in order.
Also, creating a bloated pot preflop with the 5x 3 bet is probably not a profitable approach given that AQ is not even a made hand at that point. A much smaller 3 bet (maybe 2.4x) would have accomplished the same goal and allowed you to exercise some measure pot control in a marginal situation such as this.

Just my humble opinion.
Best of luck.

Last edited by IpushHard; Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 02:19 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com