Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Took 2 months off from PSO

Old
Took 2 months off from PSO - Sun Nov 06, 2011, 09:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
ok so I took 2 months off from the PSO as I was starting to do bad things IE playing hands I shouldnt be playing. so I come back too find that my KK has lost 5 times in a row, and I was playing them correctly IE raising 2-3X the BB preflop to get reraised all in which I gladly called to lose I also on the last one which just happened raised it to the way the school tells you too 5X + 1X for every limper blinds were 50/100 so raised it 1000 in total had 1 caller he had 6-7o the flop comes misses him completely I push the rest of my chips (320) he calls and gets runner runner spades to eliminate me for my 5th time in a row. so I ask what are we supposed to do?!?!? playing AKs or o doesnt work playing AA doesnt work, playing QQ doesnt work, playing KK doesnt work. I mean seriously are we supposed to fold everything for the 1st hour no matter what??!?!!? just to make it to positive points and if the answer is yes then how do you expect to earn 1200 points in the month? as when you get to that 1st hour completed you have between 700 - 900 chips left and you are less than 5X the BB?? I mean dont get me wrong I have had some of the games where I have won a substantial amount of points by folding everything in the first hour and still went to like 400 and something place or abit better 300 something place but to constantly fold everything in the 1st hour and expect to go to that level of points is just not gonna happen, so I ask again how are you supposed to get your 1200 points needed to be in the top 5???

PS: Iam not whining at all Iam just trying to figure out how KK loses 5x in a row

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Variance.

And you've pretty much provided your own answer as to how to accumulate points, but for some reason you don't seem to want to believe it

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 03:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Variance.

And you've pretty much provided your own answer as to how to accumulate points, but for some reason you don't seem to want to believe it
+100

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 06:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Being an American, I cannot play in the PSO league games, but just wanted to comment that I find the points award structure extremely counter to tourney award structure in real money games.

Not sure why a "poker school" which one would assume existed for the purpose of training newer players to be successful in real money tournaments, would use a structure which encourages a strategy that one would never use in a real money tourney.
...and folding everything for the first hour (to attain points) cant be very much fun.

The whole thing is fairly confusing to me.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 06:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It's set up that way to teach players patience. Most new players play too many hands and shove way too often. The point system does not reward those bad habits.

The strategy also works in live tourneys, as you'll need to show alot of patience to get ITM.

You need to pick your spots, be agressive in hands that you do play, fold marginal hands and don't chase.

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 07:40 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpushHard View Post
Being an American, I cannot play in the PSO league games, but just wanted to comment that I find the points award structure extremely counter to tourney award structure in real money games.

Not sure why a "poker school" which one would assume existed for the purpose of training newer players to be successful in real money tournaments, would use a structure which encourages a strategy that one would never use in a real money tourney.
...and folding everything for the first hour (to attain points) cant be very much fun.

The whole thing is fairly confusing to me.
the schools is to teach poker, not just to be successful in real money tournaments
the school is the classes and learning
the league is a promotion

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 08:29 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
and welcome back bones

Old
Sun Nov 06, 2011, 09:52 PM
(#8)
thnx Dennis :-D

Old
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:48 PM
(#9)
Great to have you back Bones. I have managed to stay in the Prem League despite having my arse kicked from here to good old Canada and back. You know the best hand gets turned over with garbage far too often on here, Can't even be bothered to list my premium hands that have got humped recently. So onwards and upwards, fold, clock and so on and the very best of luck .

Old
Mon Nov 07, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatehouse999 View Post
Great to have you back Bones.

Thnx Gate, good to be back, I figure I will be in premium league starting January, so hope to be at a table with you soon m8 :-)

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 07:24 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
I see you're sitting in 14th place. I presume you got there without once getting lucky?

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 03:24 PM
(#12)
well my Ks havent lost nor my As and I NEVER said there wasnt any luck in hold em of course there is but skill takes precedent does it not?

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones31271 View Post
well my Ks havent lost nor my As and I NEVER said there wasnt any luck in hold em of course there is but skill takes precedent does it not?
over time skill should overcome luck
if you don't run out of money first

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 03:00 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
Well, great to have u back
Now, about that $2.00 i loaned u so many months ago ...............
sleepy

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
I agree i think its to teach you that being an all in donk is not gonna work for you and maybe later on you will use that teaching in normal mtt I dont know im new i could be wrong

Old
Thumbs up
Spelled out for those who havnt yet figured it out! - Sun Nov 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
It's set up that way to teach players patience. Most new players play too many hands and shove way too often. The point system does not reward those bad habits.

The strategy also works in live tourneys, as you'll need to show alot of patience to get ITM.

You need to pick your spots, be agressive in hands that you do play, fold marginal hands and don't chase.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The magic summed up in a nut shell,,,,,,

going to post that on a sticky in large print on my computer,,,,,

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 07:24 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerabise View Post
I agree i think its to teach you that being an all in donk is not gonna work for you and maybe later on you will use that teaching in normal mtt I dont know im new i could be wrong

I dont know if you are refering to me but I have read MANY times by Langolier and others that you want to get it in good and Ks is getting it in good oh but wait I forgot Iam on pokerstars where if you push with a strong hand you are a donk but if you push with crap everyone says NH when it holds up against Ks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com