Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Does Chat influance your play?

Old
Does Chat influance your play? - Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
So yesterday,

one player accused me of being "gay".

I Guess from context that he did not mean that i was happy, within chat i indecated that he was correct and he left the table.

so i guess he meant to insult my play, not sure how, but that is a whole new thread but got me thinking i do try to infuance others into believing i am worse than my own perception though chat and tend to discount what i read from others.

But what about you does anyone believe what they read ????

Grade b

(married with two kids if you are wondering)

(but for you i may make an exception)

Old
Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Oh Grade,

ur a classic

Me, married with 4 kids and NO f@*Kin exceptions

Sometimes chat for me adds to the entertainment factor but I'm way too old in the tooth to take exception to any of it.

If it's a tournament I would never be in the chat lobby and always as a rule click the info tab, it's far more useful to my game than anything I would see in a chat box.

Old
Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:45 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the big thing you can see from the chat box.... when an opp goes on tilt. That I'll use to my advantage every time I can.

Old
Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2010
Consider the chat as another weapon in YOUR arsenal of how to tilt others
As well as the clocking MTT's and good aggressive play

Old
Tue Nov 08, 2011, 11:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2010
I never used to have the chat box 'chat' tab open so that I could see the current chat, I would rather have the info or stats tab up. I do not chat much in game myself, usually only in a single table game with mates, or if I make an FT. I don't generally see much that is going on in chat or respond to chat aimed at me. But Dave's course on reading opponents made me realise chat can be a useful tool. They unwittingly give info.

So now I flip back and forth much more between the chat and other options. I still don't often participate or respond to chat, but I am definitely learning stuff about opponents from it.

Pretty much certain nothing that happens in chat will ever have a negative affect on my game, but occassionally i might get an edge through it. Its a very minor issue for me, but if I can take advantage I will.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:57 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Its one of those things I have always been confused about.

A guy wants to play the Alpha role and questions another mans sexuality.
For what reason he either has questions about his own sexuality or fear that he isnt as big a Alpha as he thought.

I love seeing that in chat,in shows me a weak minded person and they tend to play poker with the same thinking. They dont think things through before they speak and so for they dont think post flop as much as they should.

As for chat,I disabled the bubble chat and have chat closed to see my position in the 18mans I have moved over to play. Im testing the theory of disabling the bubble chat might speed my tables up when playing more than one.Testing a lot of things to get a edge speed wise though.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 07:34 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Okay guys. Let's bring you up to date. Whilst the word has had many meanings over the years, in this context it should be interpreted as stupid / ridiculous / absurd, etc, etc, etc. I very much doubt that he was commenting on your sexuality.

Darkman. Still down with the kids.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 08:17 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
During the milestone hands, the railbirds called the players that didn't go all-in every vulgarity possible. Several would call the person who folded gay. There was no doubt their intention was to be insulting. When support refused, (yes, I said refused), to address the problem, and then said the problem rested with the player insulted, they left the table. It must be a new tactic PokerStars is testing to clear tables of players, and it works. Saddest part was watching the chat moderators running like whipped dogs when these same railbirds started calling them every imaginable vulgarity too.

As to my games, since I'm in play money, chat is a way of making the game fun. It doesn't mean one cannot pick up information via chat, and I'll use it against them whenever possible. However, the chat so far has never ventured further than discussions on your favorite Premier League team, (I like Everton, but they suck this year). The worse insults bantered has been nothing more than a "LOL" whenever the player eliminates another. Usually it's the donkey who won and is doing the laughing.

When I could play cash games, I discovered nobody ever chatted. Even the simple "gh" players showed whenever they lost disappeared. It a way, this change proved good and bad on the ring games. The good part was it allowed me more time to concentrate on the play and expand the number of tables played. The bad part is that it removed the "fun" element and made poker a more cut-throat style.

There's a place for each, and if I can keep money chat down, it is acceptable. I find trash talkers tend to paint targets on themselves. Sad part is these players are the table buffoons and the luck magnets. Cannot tell you how many times they hit those inside straights or those 8% rivers. Most frustrating. They also inspire a lot of chat once they crash and burn.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 10:57 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
So yesterday,

one player accused me of being "gay".
..... within chat i indecated that he was correct and he left the table.
Haha, that is an awesome response. Kind of shut him up!

If chat really bothers you just stop reading it alltogether. Maybe there is an option to turn all player chat off? It really isn't important you won't be missing out on much.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 11:11 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
Yes I have to say chat influences my game. Not by bothering me, but by giving me information that others never get on me, as I rarely chat except to say nh or the occasional lol when someone is rattling on about something they know little or nothing about. But it gives me some insight as to peoples mentality, and sometimes thats useful/ exploitable information.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:14 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Okay guys. Let's bring you up to date. Whilst the word has had many meanings over the years, in this context it should be interpreted as stupid / ridiculous / absurd, etc, etc, etc. I very much doubt that he was commenting on your sexuality.

Darkman. Still down with the kids.

I have a voice in my head scream "just drop it, just drop it"

but i shall fire at it anyway.

It Bugs me that the word "gay" has come to mean Stupid over the last few years. This bugs me more than being called gay a girl stupid or Grade b.

Why, just becuase.

On a simular note if i'm called a woman i agree if called a donkey i agree or most over things, it takes away the insult part of the insult and tends to confuse the insulter.

I would also like to discuss People telling the bad players what i bad play they made.

Why oh why would you tell a player that making a call to hit a 3 outer will make them lose money over the long run. Thats a god thng maybe not this hand when they won but certainly over the long term.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for players learning to play well (thats why i joined PSO) but lets leave a for fish in the sea.

Grade b

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 01:24 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
Interesting that this thread should come up after my most recent Open League game, where once again, I was subjected to the usual "Z-bombs".

In this latest case, a Lithuanian said "stop timing out you ****ing muppet. You only wait for big hand and are a f***ing fish".

So I asked him...."why are you here playing in this tournament? Shouldn't you be at some shopping centre stealing perfume or electrical beauty products for your pimp?"

His response?......well there was more **** than there was actual readable text.

I guess I hit a raw nerve

But getting back to the exploitable part of chat for a moment....how many times have you played at a table and seen a player do the "zzzzzzzzzzz"...when nobody has timed out or stalled for a good ten or more hands? First thing that comes into my head....he has got a hand and he wants to raise. Now then....what to do when you get AA and that situation comes up....trap limp anyone?

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 05:19 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
why are you married with 2 kids? isn't that against the law?

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
Chat does affect my play people constantly abuse me in the chat. It especially bothers me when people wanna get all racist and stuff.

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 05:43 PM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazu92 View Post
That made me laugh. Alot

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 05:50 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazu92 View Post
I don't think so?

Isthis a law that says poker players can't have kids???

Grade b

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 08:12 PM
(#17)
Since: May 2011
Playing a ring game early this evening when I got into a large pot with a nice fella from Lithuania...or someplace similiar... Won the $11 all in, for him, pot. Flopped a full house that held up to be the nuts.

He types in...

"I hope u die"

My response?

LMAO... dumb ()

I was howling, too effin funny. He reloaded but left after the next hand.

Damn shame, I wanted all his roll

Dale

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
Chat does affect my play people constantly abuse me in the chat. It especially bothers me when people wanna get all racist and stuff.

I'm sorry to here that. I wish i could say i was surised (sp?). Its just not Cricket You know!

Seriously Chin up

Grade b

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 11:44 PM
(#19)
hmmm we could merge this thread with th e rule 20 thread

Grade "20" b

Old
Chat - Mon Nov 14, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#20)
Deleted user
I remember one occasion when chat DID seriously influence my play.

Final table of a PSO league MTT and 3 of us left. One player was particularly ultra abusive.

'I hope you die of cancer.' Countless 'c' word insults. 'I was the worst player he'd ever played against.(which may of course be true!)' Goading when I was sucked out having value betted a set through to the river, any move I made was ridiculed..... that sort of stuff. I'm sure you have all been on the receiving end at some time.

It made me so focused and motivated - catapulted into the 'zone' that I probably played some of my best poker. I'd been short stacked for a long time and on the ropes but with careful and controlled decisions and a bit of luck along the way had stayed in to reach the final table.

Once he was out of the tournament in 3rd place the abuse continued from his observer position - only then did I block his chat as my only focus was to beat the remaining player.

If you feel that acid or alkali chat can benefit your game then use it for motivation, information, inspiration, any positive reason, then go ahead and keep that chat box open. Going back to JD's post about the most important attribute for a poker player being self control which roomik nailed, if that chat box is having a detrimental affect on your decision making then my choice would be to shut it down.

Having just previewed this post I have to admit if I read it I might be inclined to have a long nap but I'LL POST IT ANYWAYand wait for the zzzzzzzz's to come.

Good luck with your November poker all. I'll have the luck in December!
nv

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com