Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Right to fold

Old
Right to fold - Wed Nov 09, 2011, 04:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

40 mins in
During current Hold'em session you were dealt 38 hands and saw flop:
- 3 out of 5 times while in big blind (60%)
- 0 out of 5 times while in small blind (0%)
- 5 out of 28 times in other positions (17%)
- a total of 8 out of 38 (21%)
Pots won at showdown - 2 of 3 (66%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

Was i right to fold here

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 06:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think you made the correct play. The opp made a big overbet (double the std raise for that level). That normally signifies a category 1 hand or maybe a big category 2.

The opp will have at BEST case 2 overcards, putting you in a race, or worst case, an overpair... in which case you've got 2 outs.

You'd have to put in 20% of your chips just to try and flop a set... and I think you can find alot better situation to get your chips into, as it's still early.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 06:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
To answer this with any real benefit to you we need the villains stats and any other info you had on him. Because the fold could have been right or a jam could have been right. One thing I can say with some certainty is a call would have been bad.

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 06:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Thought it was good fold 1 month ago i would shove

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 06:58 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
When you hold a 32BB stack, and you are facing a raiser who has made it 6BB to go, you simply CANNOT call off 20% of your stack and then fold. Well you COULD, but that is weak/passive poker, and you will lose far more often than you will win in spots like this with 88. At 20% of your stack, the price is too steep to really like losing that amount far more often than not.

Your hand, 88, is the type that will likely be a race at best, and may well be dominated by a higher poket pair. This means it is un-likely you are going to want to risk your entire MTT/SNG "life" by shoving all in over this raise to "stand". 32BB still has a little to much "play" left to really like doing that a ton of the time. You really need a solid "read" to make a play like this +eV at all.

You really cannot raise LESS than all in, as this does not necessarily maximize your fold equity. If the open raiser calls your less than all in raise, the chance an over card or 2 coming when you do not flop a set to your 88 is so great that in most lfops, any C-Bet by the open raiser will tend to put you in a tricky spot. This means a less than all in raise is likely to set you up for either a difficult DECISION, and/or a greater chip loss than a call might. Again, if you have a solid "read", this COULD be a +eV play, but without one it really cannot be on your stack size.

So...

If you cannot CALL really...

And you cannot RAISE, either all in or for less than all in, really...

That leaves only 1 option: FOLD.

You took that option, so good on you!

Old
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 08:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
And you more than probably did! My only point was if 40 hands in, this guy played say 18 of them and raised pre say 12 of those, or if 40 hands in you've seen this guy raise/ folded way too much. There are situations when a jam is warranted, but in more cases than not, you made the right decision.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com