Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

99s correctly played?

Old
99s correctly played? - Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi guys,

just played an interesting hand on a 5NL table. But I am not really sure if I did everything right. I left out the river and the hand he had, just to not make you think results oriented.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Edit: I took much more time on my decisions, than the replayer shows it.

Last edited by Schnech; Thu Nov 10, 2011 at 05:06 AM..

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
First of all whrong forum

Play was decent, but putting in so much money with 3 overcards on the board and a straight draw is not worth it I think.

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
Was the villain new to the table?

I have no issue with the open or call pre although the raise to 50 cents by the opponent screams strength. You flop an open ended straight draw and the villain throws out a nearly 2/3 pot bet.

With 10 outs to improve I am not sure whether calling is +EV or not on the flop, but I am sure someone who knows will come along and tell us.

When the villain goes all in on the flop, you have to assume you are way behind, unless you have a strong read; personally I think it is -EV. I hope you hit the river and won. Update after it has been analysed by one of the evaluators.

Thanks,

TC

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
*Moved*

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 06:49 AM
(#5)
Sorry for the forum switch!

That what I was thinking. I don't really know if I am +EV on the flop. I am not always behind there, but most of the time I guess (given the range of hands he would 3 bet me with). On the flop actually I think I have 8 outs to the straight. I also think these are live, because I don't think he plays KQ like this (most of the time) and he would never do this with K9. So my Q & 8 are good most of the time I guess. The thing is, I'm getting close to 3 to 1 on the flop call and additionally - since he has just slightly under 1.5$ left on the turn I will never fold a turn shove.

But I don't know if this thinking process is correct. Actually I had one!

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 06:55 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Schnech,

I was counting the 2 outs for the 9s as well. I always get a bit confused with EV and pot odds so I am not 100% certain if your line was good or not.

I am sure one of the evaluators will be along shortly to give their opinion on this interesting hand.

TC

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 12:10 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
99 out of position's normally going to lead into a sticky situation and this one for sure qualifies.

On the flop, you need to put 69 cents into a pot of $1.79 (38.5%). You have 8 outs for the straight and 2 more for a set of 9's. If the other 9's are good outs (opp does not have a higher set), then you have 40% equity, without the 9's, you have 32%. If it were me, I'd make the flop call... as if you hit the straight, you could most likely stack the opponent.

The turn bet is $1.31 into a pot of $3.79 (34.6%). Once again, we look at the equity you have, if the 9's are good you now have 20% equity and if they are not good, only 16%.
Due to that, along with the fact that there are no chips behind for the opp (that you could get to go into the pot on the river).... I'm mucking it on the turn.

Last edited by JWK24; Sat Nov 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 01:49 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
my math is not the greatest, but it looks to me like you got 2.6/1 immediate odds but 5.5/1 (implied) on your 69 cent call, if all 10 outs are good your roughly at 4.5/1 on your draw, so good call, but when you miss, the villain only has 1.31 behind. Then you call 1.31 into a 3.79 pot you're only getting roughly 3/1(2.9/1) on your 4.5/1 draw ( assuming all 10 outs are still live ) so at my math, you didn't have odds to call and peel the turn with only 1 to come, and no further implied (as hes now all in) so you should have cut it loose on the turn.

Last edited by mtnestegg; Thu Nov 10, 2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 03:25 PM
(#9)
Thanks for the evaluation guys!

I was really curious about the turn call, but thought, that it would be too weak to fold this shove. But thanks for clarifying that.

This is how the hand turned out: 7 on the river gave me the straight, he turned over AQoff.

Thanks again. That was a fun one!

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 08:37 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Preflop: Definitely like iso-raising on the button over a limper. The call of the 3B is not good imo. The guy who 3b's is a short stack, you do not have nearly the correct implied odds to try and flop a set, and will have to fold many flops to his c-bet without one. If the 3b is laggy he's short enough that you can just 4b all in pre, if he's tight this is a fold.

Flop: It's pretty close, peeling isn't terrible since we're in position (if a brick comes off and he checks we'll have the best hand a decent amount of the time). If we were out of position we'd have to fold. The problem is we only have 4 clean outs, the 7's. Technically they're not actually clean since we would still lose to Q9, but they're essentially clean cause he's pretty much never showing us Q9 after 3b pre oop and us holding half the 9's. The other "outs" can't be fully counted really... a 9 gives us a set but we're still losing to bigger sets + any Q now makes a straight. If the Q comes, AK is certainly in his range. We have 10 outs that improve our hand, but we really only want a 7. If we were out of position this is a fold, if he barrels frequently it's also a fold since we just won't be able to call a turn bet. You simply have to be able to win sometimes without improving to make this call with such low implied odds, and you can only do that if he will frequently give up when called on the flop.

Turn: This is a fold for sure. We are only beating a stone bluff and it's very unlikely in this spot. Again our outs are questionable, even a Q isn't pretty as any K makes a better straight. And the pot odds are way short of what we'd need to draw even if we had clean outs.

Dave

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 08:40 PM
(#11)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnech View Post
I was really curious about the turn call, but thought, that it would be too weak to fold this shove.
Don't fall into this trap... poker isn't a pissing contest or macho expedition (although bless the players who think it is. )

When you have the worst of it and are in a bad situation, folding is a strong play, not a weak one.

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Don't fall into this trap... poker isn't a pissing contest or macho expedition (although bless the players who think it is. )

When you have the worst of it and are in a bad situation, folding is a strong play, not a weak one.
luv it

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 04:20 AM
(#13)
Thanks for this Dave. Really appreciate your analysis and the advise.

I just sometimes get the feeling that I am folding way too light. Well - in this particular spot - it would have been the correct play though!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com