Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Open league question.

Old
Open league question. - Thu Nov 10, 2011, 12:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Played my second Open League today.
My question is this: is it normal for so many players to go all in or near about with any two cards before the flop?? and when the flop does come to continue betting even though they have not even made one pair.
The way some of them we're betting I was certain they at least had an ace or pocket pair in their hand. and when it finally came down to showing the cards they had complete air and some of them even had the audacity to type extremely insulting remarks in the chat box.

I will say this though, that after the first break it calmed down and was a lot more of what I was expecting the play to be like.

I learned very early on in my first O.L Tournament yesterday that running the clock and waiting for the right moment to sink your teeth into someone is the way to go about this League, might not always work out as planned but I really applied this thought process in my second O.L Tournament this morning. I hope my strategy can stand the test of time.

Until next time, Good luck and play safe
-Derty-

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 12:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You're assessment is very good. Especially in the open league, there are alot of players that early in a tourney, don't care and will play any 2 cards. What you need to do is to show some patience and only play premium hands.
Once the maniac players are gone, then you can open your game up some and start playing.

The goal in those tourneys, is to make it as far as possible in them, due to the points system. An all or nothing attitude early in them... will not move you up the leaderboards, because an early exit will penalize your league scores more than one good finish.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Just keep grinding away at them and learn from them, but BE PATIENT... and you'll see yourself moving up the leaderboard.

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 05:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
** Moved **

Old
The flaw - Sun Dec 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
There is one flaw with this arguement. Once you get "deeper" with this attitude there will be one or more people with 10 to 15 times your stack at your table willing to call down anything you do with virtually any cards and often rivering you out with "crap". If you don't catch AA (or marginally KK) early on you are pretty much at the hands of luck. That can carry you quite far on the leaderboard on a very lucky day, but saying the league is about evening out the variance is wrong in so many levels the way it is organized today.

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hi
Thanks for your contribution, and welcome to pokerschoolonline.

You may find this link helpful in finding your way around.

Good luck at the tables.....

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dertymcgerty View Post
Played my second Open League today.
My question is this: is it normal for so many players to go all in or near about with any two cards before the flop?? and when the flop does come to continue betting even though they have not even made one pair.
The way some of them we're betting I was certain they at least had an ace or pocket pair in their hand. and when it finally came down to showing the cards they had complete air and some of them even had the audacity to type extremely insulting remarks in the chat box.

I will say this though, that after the first break it calmed down and was a lot more of what I was expecting the play to be like.

I learned very early on in my first O.L Tournament yesterday that running the clock and waiting for the right moment to sink your teeth into someone is the way to go about this League, might not always work out as planned but I really applied this thought process in my second O.L Tournament this morning. I hope my strategy can stand the test of time.

Until next time, Good luck and play safe
-Derty-

You're already ahead of 95% of the players in the Open League just by recognizing this. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentavus View Post
There is one flaw with this arguement. Once you get "deeper" with this attitude there will be one or more people with 10 to 15 times your stack at your table willing to call down anything you do with virtually any cards and often rivering you out with "crap". If you don't catch AA (or marginally KK) early on you are pretty much at the hands of luck. That can carry you quite far on the leaderboard on a very lucky day, but saying the league is about evening out the variance is wrong in so many levels the way it is organized today.

Stalling and folding and naught else can get you a few free bucks EVERY month,guaranteed. So long as one can invest the time and has accrued 20 VPP's each month prior to be eligible for the higher payout scale luck needs not be considered. Time-banking and folding alone can get one into the monthly money.

US peeps get back here I'll happily prove that,most likely for more than just a few bucks.

Been there,done that,got the T-shirt.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com