Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Bad Beat, Serious Question

Old
Bad Beat, Serious Question - Thu Nov 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar

The player in the big blind is a "horrible fish." My read on him was that he would call off his whole stack in any situation with ace rag (even if he is second in chips). That is how he ended up second in chips. I would normally just do a standard raise here, but because of my read I shove thinking that it would be great to get my opponent in with only two or three outs. I've run somewhat bad the past two days and this hand was no exception. Based on my read, did I play this well? If I make a standard raise and he calls I might get away post-flop, but I think that he three-bets and I have the same result anyway. Bad beat or bad play? Both?

As soon as I called this three-bet I heard the langolier saying playing a three-bet pot out of position is pretty bad. I considered shoving, by tycornel is a regular and I know that if he calls my four-bet the best I can hope to see is ace king. I think his three-betting range this early in the tournament is very tight, ace king, aces, kings, queens, jacks and maybe tens. Watching the hand now I think I could have folded pre-flop, but in the moment it can be so difficult to press that button.

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
(#2)
SilverStar
My bad, with the jacks I was in postition.

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 03:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the first one... can't really argue against either a push or a std raise. The majority of the time with your stack, I'd std raise, then c-bet, but fold to a raise with an A on the board. If I was down to 15BB or less, instead of 21BB, then it's an auto-push for me.
You can really make a very solid case for either play.

In the JJ hand, you DO have position on the opp (they act first). With it being that early in a tourney, a solid player probably has an even tighter range that what you listed, due to how much they raised (more than std 3-bet). For that large of a 3-bet, I'd put them on QQ+. I'd have mucked it pre and waited for a better situation, especially if you know the opp to be a better player.
Looking back on it, you reasoned things out correctly.
It's a good hand for you to learn from (which you did, as you stated, when you reviewed it)... keep doing that and apply what you learn... and you'll see better and better results happen, since making the correct plays over and over is what makes that happen consistantly.

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
(#4)
SilverStar
With the help of live training, the forums and spacegravy's videos I have improved my game a lot, but there is so much to learn (and then apply).

Old
Thu Nov 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglarid View Post
but there is so much to learn (and then apply).
even with all the cards I've played over the years... I find and learn something every single day... just keep it up and keep learning

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
You were probably ahead.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com