Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Home Games /

Teamspeak Training League

Old
Teamspeak Training League - Fri Nov 11, 2011, 08:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hello to all,

I invite you to take part in a new 6-week Home Game League -

Teamspeak Training League

For those of you who have not heard of Teamspeak it is an online chatroom where gamers can discuss the game as it is in progress.

Discussing Live Hands will not be permitted but post hand discussion will take place.

All games in this league will be for play money only

However, at the end of the six weeks there will be a $10 real money prize shipped to the overall winner so there is incentive.

All PSO members are welcome to take part.

- Open the main poker lobby, then click on the Home Games tab
- Click the 'Join a Poker Club' button
- Enter my Club ID number: 530350
- Enter my Invitation Code: theraiser

Send me a private message for details on where to get the Teamspeak client.

Tournament games are played every Sunday night at 9pm GMT.

Remember the overall purpose of this league is to learn and discuss poker strategy in a friendly environment.

See you at the tables Sunday night!

Raiser

Last edited by royalraise85; Fri Nov 11, 2011 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
how can you discuss live hands without misusing the information on the next hand against the same player?

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
how can you discuss live hands without misusing the information on the next hand against the same player?
Discussing Live Hands will not be permitted but post hand discussion will take place.

Post has been edited to clarify this. Again, this is a play money tournament for those interested in getting some practice time in while benefiting from some 'almost' instant feedback from fellow players.

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
(#4)
ah sorry i forgot its just play money

Still discusing it post hand will stay give you extra info about how the villain plays and the hero can make use of that the next time they are both in the same hand.

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:

Still discusing it post hand will stay give you extra info about how the villain plays and the hero can make use of that the next time they are both in the same hand.
Yeah, I hear you. But remember that this is a training session, we want to get info and use it to improve our overall play.

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 10:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:

Think of it like this it is not a hero villian situation but a chance to hear what others may think about differant situations.

Sounds like a good learning experiance to me.

Grade b

Old
Fri Nov 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
(#7)
Wonderful idea -- thanks, Royalraise!

Old
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you to all who have joined the home game so far.

The Teamspeak room is holding a Study Group discussion tonight. If you are new to Teamspeak I will log in an hour before the study group starts and try to assist anyone that needs a hand getting set-up.

It is the same room that will be used for the free-money practice home game tomorrow night.

You can message me here at PSO if you require more details about getting Teamspeak.

For more information about tonights Study Group check out the relevant post at

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...06-Study-group

Cheers,

Raiser

Old
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 01:31 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Seems like a good idea, but not sure why we would need an external chat client (during the games) when PS has an integrated one? ...or is the client to be used after the league games? Am I confused? (TIP: when you don't know if you're confused... You're confused )

Old
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpushHard View Post
Seems like a good idea, but not sure why we would need an external chat client (during the games) when PS has an integrated one? ...or is the client to be used after the league games? Am I confused? (TIP: when you don't know if you're confused... You're confused )
Thanks IpushHard,

It's voice chat, kinda like a Skype conference call.

Raiser

Old
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 09:40 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Yes, a voice chat between players allows more effective communication of complex thoughts and ideas.

It is pretty hard to type in a discussion of your reasons for playing 78s vs a tight/passive opponent, without taking 30 minutes of typing.

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
i use team speak for online gaming but the opportunities for abuse are horrendous.....maybe not a good plan????IMO

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 01:36 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck.carver View Post
i use team speak for online gaming but the opportunities for abuse are horrendous.....maybe not a good plan????IMO
That is one of the reasons Royal Raise is making it PLAY MONEY.

There are plenty of study groups I know of who use voice chats for "shadow sessions", and you are right, abuses can occur. The thing is, when used strictly as a training tool, and keeping careful watch that no one is giving advice during a hand, it can be invaluable for developing poker thought processes. Talking about your thoughts in "real time" rather than trying to re-create them after the fact, is far more effective.

As for any un-fair advantage talking about hands AFTER the hand has completed may give, that is really not a concern.

Players at live events are perfectly entitled to discuss hands with someone on the rail immediately after they complete. Talking about a hand in a shadow session would be somewhat like having someone on the rail at a live event that you are discussing hands with; if you are allowed to have someone to "give feedback" about your play in a hand after it is done live, why not on line?

As long as no discussion takes place DURING the hand, it does not violate any "one player to a hand" rule.

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 01:56 AM
(#14)
ok now verify it....don't get me wrong but in live play everyone can see the action so it's self policing......team speak not so much...

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 02:12 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
you are welcome to join the league or not, but still join the team speak and see for yourself.

...as is anyone else who may have concerns.

the info on the channel is openly available to anyone in PSO, per Royal Raiser's invitation.

it is slightly offensive to cast asperations on the motivations of others, unless you are willing to come view for yourself. it feels a little bit like claiming 2 players are soft playing, without having the hands flipped over to see if their actions were normal...

since you have cast doubts about the actions of this league, you really owe it to Royal Raiser to come in, check it out for yourself, and then post your findings here.

not being willing to do that is really just slinging mud, without any basis for doing so.

...I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by JDean; Sun Nov 13, 2011 at 02:16 AM..

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 02:32 AM
(#16)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck.carver View Post
ok now verify it....don't get me wrong but in live play everyone can see the action so it's self policing......team speak not so much...
Your thoughts are unfounded without knowing the facts
Teamspeak is self policed and any wrong doings will be dealt with
Everyone who enters teamspeak is made aware of this
There are other communication apps and devices players could use ie: bookface chat , msn , yahoo messenger or text chat via cell phones to gain an edge whilst playing
You are more than welcome to find out
If you want the details please pm me

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 02:39 AM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
Your thoughts are unfounded without knowing the facts
Teamspeak is self policed and any wrong doings will be dealt with
Everyone who enters teamspeak is made aware of this
There are other communication apps and devices players could use ie: bookface chat , msn , yahoo messenger or text chat via cell phones to gain an edge whilst playing
You are more than welcome to find out
If you want the details please pm me

not entirely against it spike ...just throwing my thots out there

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 03:14 AM
(#18)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpushHard View Post
Teamspeak is mainly used as a learning tool

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 03:16 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Nah, its all good Rock.

You are right, chat clients CAN be abused in on line poker.

I know in study groups I've started, as well as those I've joined in the past, strict rules had to be in place to prevent any Poker Stars rules violations. Others who may use Team Speak (or any other chat client) may not be nearly a scrupulous...

Still, you have to look at the steps Royal Raiser has taken to avoid even the HINT of a rules violation:

1) It is PLAY MONEY

No one stands to lose anything of value, no matter what occurs in team speak.

2) It is openly announced that Team Speak is a part of the Home Game League.

With no attempt at concealment of the fact a chat client is in use for group discussion, how likely is it that the use of a that client is for the purpose of cheating? Wouldn;t you attempt to keep the fact there is a group chat going on a SECRET, at least from some of the participants?

3) There is an open invitation to EVERYONE in PSO to join Team Speak.

Again, with the transparency in place regarding the use of a chat client, AND with an open invitiation in place, what benefit is there to "cheating out in the open"?

So it seems to me that not only are there steps in place to police anything out of line in the chat, but maximum effort was taken to prevent even the whiff of a rules violation.

Old
Sun Nov 13, 2011, 08:02 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
At the time of writing this post there is a total of six people registered for Round 1 which is great.

For those of you using Teamspeak for the first time be sure and log-in early in case you have any set-up issues.

We will be using the 'Study Room' in the client.

Remember it's PLAY MONEY only and there are only two basic rules:

1. Hands can NOT be discussed while 'Live' but can take place when the hand has finished.
2. Be courteous and respectful to other players.

It should be a lot of fun and a good learning tool.

Raiser

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com