Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

am i wrong or not

Old
am i wrong or not - Mon Nov 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
playing in tourn. im on the big blind. blinds are 150 250. russian player four spots away raises
888 everyone folds to me. ive got a k suited im also low stack with 3000 chips. i go all in.
mister 888 calls he has 6000 chips. the cards are turned he has pair of twos.so as u guessed
nothing hits the board and i lose. which is ok im not complaining, but is this a normal thing to risk half your stack on a pair of twos. in my eyes i would never do such a thing.
im i wrong or not

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved **

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
It depends on the tourney you were playing and buy in level, if it was an open skill league game i've seen far worse hands chased to showdown and some completely lunatic plays.

The same thing will happen in any freeroll or 10c tourney, people will chase a pair not even realising they are probably behind or at best in a race.

Sorry TJ was typing this as you moved the original question, feel free to move this as well.

Last edited by boobylops; Mon Nov 14, 2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: moved

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 07:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I personally wouldn't call it either but then again it's a matter of playing style.

However, if you Pokerstove AK suited against pocket 2's preflop the results suggest a 50/50 coin-flip.

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt
1,712,304 games 0.016 secs 107,019,000 games/sec

equity win tie pots won pots tied
50.084% 49.77% 00.31% 852207 5387.50 { AdKd }
49.916% 49.60% 00.31% 849322 5387.50 { 2h2s }

So it looks like he was holding the Russian Pocket Rockets.

He was either going to loose half of his stack or build his stack by a half with a flip. We can't assume that he did not consider this before making the call. It would be interesting to know if he gave it a bit of thought before calling or was it a snap call.

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 07:05 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If it's a PSO game, then you need to be patient and not go all-in unless you have the best hand after you see all the cards on the board, if possible. In that situation, the suited K is an automatic muck. You will lose ALOT more by going out with this size of stack, than you will gain if you get the blinds.

In a cash tourney, then I also think it's a muck for a suited K. You don't want to be in shove/fold mode until you have 10BB or less (you've got 12BB). The person with the pocket pair calling, especially if they were in the BB or SB, is the correct call (unless they put you on a higher pair).... their hand IS ahead of yours and what you want to do in poker is to put your chips into a pot when you're ahead. The 22 also raised to open, which is the correct play, as you want to raise when opening a pot.

Playing a suited K on that big of a stack (over 10BB) without it being a connector or 1-gap (KJ) is way too loose of a play to make in a tourney. You will not come out ahead in the longrun by making this type of play. You were in a race this time, due to your opp having 22, but in most cases, you will be way, way behind the opp's hand.

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 07:16 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
to all who gave me advice thank-you. ive only been playing 1 year and still have much to learn thanks again

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubzoni View Post
to all who gave me advice thank-you. ive only been playing 1 year and still have much to learn thanks again
All of us, regardless of how long or how much we've played still have alot to learn. Try to use every hand and tourney as a learning tool, learn from your mistakes and you'll be a better player.

Any hand that you play that you would like any of us to look at, please get the hand history, put into the replayer (instructions for it are in a sticky thread at the top of this forum) or copy it into a new thread and we'll gladly give our opinions on them.

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 11:05 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2011
(Moderator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubzoni View Post
is this a normal thing to risk half your stack on a pair of twos. in my eyes i would never do such a thing.
im i wrong or not
there is no right or wrong in poker, its all circumstantial, I play mostly no limit, in tournys if i am nowhere near the money, and i only have 5-10 BB left, i would risk all of it, maybee most of the time.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 01:03 AM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
125+888+3000=4013, he has to call 2112, so he's getting almost 2-1, yes he should call with 22. He's raised big enough pre to ensure he has to call with the 2's. I think the mistake is going all in with K-rag suited since you have no fold equity. It's a good resteal hand vs. a loose opener when you have fold equity, but here the villain is priced in, so just let it go.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 08:34 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
I believe he said AKs . Just didn't capitalize..

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#11)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
Whoops, my bad, I see that now. Def get all in with AKs and 12 bb's all day long, no problem there. Yes, he should absolutely call for the hero's stack with 22 once he's opened for 3.5x, he's priced himself in for sure.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
(#12)
Since: Feb 2011
And ya for sure he was priced in for the call, so good stand by you, and good call by him (with whatever cards he raised with)..

Last edited by mtnestegg; Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
I took it as any suited K too. If AKs, agree it's an easy shove too.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com