Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

I just don't get it - Do you??

Old
I just don't get it - Do you?? - Mon Nov 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
This is from a women's tourny, about an hour in, I can't follow the logic here. Could someone help me understand from the villian's point of view??

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
B i n g o ! ! !

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
(#3)
Based on your post I believe you are making a mistake by assuming logic lies behind the villains actions. I think in this case if there was a scrap of logic it was obviously very twisted.

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
I get the $400 bet but after that its bingo like JWK says.

Old
Mon Nov 14, 2011, 09:39 PM
(#5)
Thanks, guys, I am having a real problem figuring out some of the opponents I've had lately in these tourneys. It's like they have a crystal ball that tells them they're going to hit, there's no other reason for them to play these hands so aggressively!!

The strange thing is, there's not a lot of bingo players in the women's leagues, usually it's pretty much ABC until the final table. I expected this opponent to fold to the push, that would happen at least 9/10 at this blind level.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 12:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2011
(Moderator)
[QUOTE=joy7108;310093]This is from a women's tourny, about an hour in, I can't follow the logic here. Could someone help me understand from the villian's point of view??

hrmm...it looks like your opponent tried to bluff you thinking you might be a VERY tight player and will fold to a raise, (because limping and then reraising from a limp can be a very bold move) which usually says PREMIUM HANDS I sometimes do this with Aces to maximise profit, .... they were not expecting you follow trough with your aggression, luckily for them they hit. but if u had good cards you should have just pushed all in instead of reraising as u were already pot committed and there was a chance your opponenet could have folded because of the aggression.

but some people dont play poker by the book, there is a big crowd who play by feel, maybe this is what happened here today.

Last edited by 2edgar; Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: spelling and grammar lol

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 01:34 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
If it makes you feel any better I had a situation that almost made me quit poker the other night.

Within 10 minutes I was the first one knocked out of two tournaments I played in row.

The first was like this. It was the very first hand, I was the button and dealt JJ. Everyone folds and it gets to me so I go in with a hard raise. About 400 if I recall. The SB and BB both call. The flop comes and it's 6,7 and 9 non of the same suit. I feel pretty safe with none of them being the same type of suit. So I go all in saying to myself, if one of them has QQ or better, oh well Im beat. They both call me only for me to see they're both holding 8,5 off suit giving them both straights. They split while I get knocked out. It was sureal.

I sign right back up for another tournament and first hand I'm the BB. Everyone folds and it gets the SB who goes all in. I'm holding AJ and still being frustrated from the previous tourney I say screw it and call. The cards get dealt and he/she is holding A4. Im winning the whole way and he or she rivers' me with the 4.

I almost cashed out right there and threw in the towel on poker.

I had to take a few days off to let the steam out.

Last edited by C-mac687; Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 01:38 AM..

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:10 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
Simply amazing, nobody saying you shouldn't have gone toe to toe with someone that had your stack covered, noone saying anything about possibly folding to his reraise after a flat call, must be nice to be in this club.

again and again and again

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:40 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
This is from a women's tourny, about an hour in, I can't follow the logic here. Could someone help me understand from the villian's point of view??

Maybe this...

http://youtu.be/4DUmoJNQK2o

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:47 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
[QUOTE=2edgar;310143]
Quote:

hrmm...it looks like your opponent tried to bluff you thinking you might be a VERY tight player and will fold to a raise, (because limping and then reraising from a limp can be a very bold move) which usually says PREMIUM HANDS I sometimes do this with Aces to maximise profit, .... they were not expecting you follow trough with your aggression, luckily for them they hit. but if u had good cards you should have just pushed all in instead of reraising as u were already pot committed and there was a chance your opponenet could have folded because of the aggression.

but some people dont play poker by the book, there is a big crowd who play by feel, maybe this is what happened here today.
what hand were you watching ??
i see why you are out of t.p.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:08 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
Simply amazing, nobody saying you shouldn't have gone toe to toe with someone that had your stack covered, noone saying anything about possibly folding to his reraise after a flat call, must be nice to be in this club.

Not sure what club you're referring to, but if you think I should have folded just say so. The re-raise was less than double, 99% of players in the league would shove here if they had a premium hand. I read the re-raise for what it was, a steal attempt, and acted accordingly.

At any rate, I was asking for insight into the villian's play, not mine.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:11 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
stake is just mad cause he got "picked" on for his bad play the other day lol

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post

Not sure what club you're referring to, but if you think I should have folded just say so. The re-raise was less than double, 99% of players in the league would shove here if they had a premium hand. I read the re-raise for what it was, a steal attempt, and acted accordingly.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 02:53 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:

i understand ur frustration, but the fact that they called ur 4-bet shove with T4 shows they don't seem to care and were just trying to get lucky. was this the first time this player had gotten out of line so far in the tourney? and i see someone at ur table with 8500 in chips--thats hard to do in the first hour of a tourney without some donking going on. therefore, it's really ur play that we need to evaluate here. i don't understand how a minraise 3-bet is a steal attempt. at the very least, ur calling this bet and going to the flop. no way anybody should ever be folding there unless the opponent who made the minraise is like an ultra ultra nit. if u are willing to get all the money in preflop so early in a tournament with such a big stack, u have to understand that u will get donked out a lot. so u bascially took a lot of strategy out of ur play by pushing preflop and left ur fate to the poker gods. ur only about a 2.33 to 1 favorite preflop, and only a 1.22 to 1 favorite on the flop. not too great of odds to have all ur money at risk so early and with such a big stack.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
(#15)
I have some thoughts..

Was there any past history with the villan? could she be on tilt? I have done simular silly things having lost a big hand to some horrible suck out, even if it was at an other table. (I'm sure I'm not the only one, even though now days i'm more likely to count to 10 and boot up a new table)

what was your image here? Could she think you were stealing... although still a horrible call ...

It was a misclick....

hoping to get some chips and move up you get them in all tournys but is a little wierd to see this move after so long, looks more like a 5 minute in sort of play.

Grade b

Last edited by Grade b; Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 07:00 PM..

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 09:41 PM
(#16)
Just another thought, there are quite a few "players" out there who know they arent good enough to win on skill so they throw all there chips in whenever they get a chance hoping to get lucky. To quote a very good player here "poker should not be results oriented, rather it should be about making good decisions".

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 09:47 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsnookman View Post
"poker should not be results oriented, rather it should be about making good decisions".
+1

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 11:20 PM
(#18)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:

Your opponent was trying to pull off a bluff with the limp raise pre-flop and trying to represent a big hand. When you jammed over the top, your opponent possibly thought you where trying to play back at them with a bluff and figured 10high was a good call. Also they could have not really cared of the outcome of the hand and just hope that luck is on their side during the flip.

Regardless of the outcome, the line you took was optimal and a very good decision on your part to try to get them either to fold or call with a worse hand.

Here is how your hand looks like pre-flop from a percentage stand point.

Win : 68.82%
Tie : 0.44%

Win : 30.74%

GL at the tables

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 03:37 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonLee View Post
Your opponent was trying to pull off a bluff with the limp raise pre-flop and trying to represent a big hand. When you jammed over the top, your opponent possibly thought you where trying to play back at them with a bluff and figured 10high was a good call. Also they could have not really cared of the outcome of the hand and just hope that luck is on their side during the flip.

Regardless of the outcome, the line you took was optimal and a very good decision on your part to try to get them either to fold or call with a worse hand.

Here is how your hand looks like pre-flop from a percentage stand point.

Win : 68.82%

Win : 30.74%

GL at the tables
As the saying go's any tow cards.
Bad luck on your part - good luck on other side.
gl next time

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
(#20)
I know of some people who think having a 10 in their hole cards gives thenm a very strong starting hand , that is what this looks like to me

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com