Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Member Blogs / Member of the Month /

Hi

Old
Hi - Tue Nov 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Nobody likes to lose to the family at Christmas and every year my dad would clean me out of a few bob or two. What little I knew about the game, the one thing I did know was that it was a game of strategy. A few days of reading I thought, and I'd be the one doing the cleaning at Christmas.

Now its 5 years later and over the last 8 months I have been working hard to improve my game. I recently started a blog about my journey through poker which you can find here I want to get as far as I can and reach as high a limit as I can. I firmly believe that hard work and perseverance will get me there.
I will get there.

I use holdem manager to run through my sessions and analyse how i've played every pot that I've entered, even the small pots. I read and reread books, articles, forums and watch videos. When I start a new session I will always have a theme. Whether it be playing from the blinds, 3 betting, preflop ranges, check raise bluffing, value betting etc. I play with an individual goal and review how I've played the theme and try and note what worked and what didn't work against each opponent and why.

A great ad with a great caption reads.

"Play 90 hours a week,
4.680 hours a year.
Agonize over every move,
Relive every mistake.
Forget the bracelets you've won.
Focus on the ones you haven't.
Anyone can play like Ivey,
But nobody does"

That caption pretty much sums up the way I feel not only about poker but about every endeavour. Put in the time, effort, keep going no matter what and you will succeed and my goal is to beat 6 max.

It's all about 6 max. Action action action.

Full ring? too slow.

Heads up? I implode.

6 max is the goldilocks zone for me. Just right. Beautiful, silky, honey covered, perfectly warmed porridge. Beautiful.

It's been tough going but the work is beginning to pay off. I guess this is my career highlight. I'm starting to beat the game. There have been ups as well as downs but a couple of things have really helped me stay focused and level headed, while others about me are losing theirs.

1) Winning and losing is the same. If you win, it doesn't mean you played well. If you lose it, doesn't mean you've played badly. Contrary to a lot of bs popular belief, you can't fix the cards, only the way you play

2) People aren't playing back at you as much as you think they are. Unless someone gives you a reason to think that they're messing with you, fold the hand and move on. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

So that's me I guess.

This blog post generated quite a few views and responses...heater heater yah yah

Here is my form post which I thought might be quite useful - It's a collection of handy resources that I've found have helped me with my game http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...p-with-strings

And here is my new group where I've posted all of my blog entries http://www.facebook.com/groups/163060427124687/

Thanks

Pteridophyta

Last edited by pteridophyta; Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar ;-)

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Missing Items in Application:

- No link to Forum Post Link
- No Social Media Site links
(Note: Social Media self-promotion should link back to your blog and forum posts, not your application post.)
(Please show link to your FB PROFILE so we can see the back links to PSO.)

Please provide the missing items to complete your application post.

Thank You.

**REQUIREMENTS MET**

Last edited by JDean; Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 05:05 AM
(#3)
Here is a link to my forum post. I had a couple of links removed but my heart was in the right place.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...p-with-strings

Here is a link to my profile on facebook. I've posted every entry of my blog on there since I first started it.

http://www.facebook.com/jasonpower.power (I'm not sure this is how you do it but here is the link anyway. If it's wrong I'm assuming you'll let me know )

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 07:30 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Pteridophyta,

Your Face Book content is not public, so looking through your profile there is no back link to Forum posts nor Blog posts. The link you posted is correct, but we use that link to verify that you;ve done self promotion for your blog.

Can you please show the info on your blog publicly in your FB wall?

Thank you.

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 11:00 AM
(#5)
I've changed the privacy so that my posts have been made public on my wall.

Hopefully that should be working now ;-)

Pt

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:13 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
all good now.

Old
Mon Nov 21, 2011, 05:02 AM
(#7)
Cooooooooooooooooooooooooool. Here's hoping.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
(#8)
I would like to be reconsidered for week 2 of member of the week

Thanks

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I really enjoyed reading your blog Pteridophyta!

Try to make sure the Facebook links stay current, because views of your blogs and forum posts count!

That means it might help you to edit your app post to put the links there, so people looking in here can see them immediately.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
(#10)
Thank you and thanks for the advice

I'll get on it soon enough

Old
Fri Nov 25, 2011, 12:26 PM
(#11)
All sorted

Old
Sun Nov 27, 2011, 04:47 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Welcome to the forum pter...(not gonna try and spell your full name ) I like 6-max games too, so those links look great - will have to check them out next time I'm card dead

Good luck with MOTW!

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 05:32 AM
(#13)
Thanks a lot.

Those links are awesome (even if I do say so myself), card dead or not

I'm actually rereading the blog/pdf written by Verneer again

Not sure I'll be making member of the week though. There are others on here that have been here much longer than myself and have contributed way more.

Anyhoo, here's hoping anyway

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
(#14)
Added a new addition to the brown paper packages forum post which is qual, it, ay.

Check it out and please do add your own contributions as well.
Try to stay within the forum guidelines though. I've had a couple of links removed already

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
More links, cool - I love blogs too!

Looks like the MOTW promotion will be an ongoing thing, and Stars said they were hoping it would encourage more people to post, so it sounds like they value everybody's contributions, old and new.

Reason to be hopeful!

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 01:32 PM
(#16)
New additions to the forum yo!

Enjoy

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#17)
Since: Nov 2007
Put yourself forward again Pteri, one of the best blogs I have read on the site, even though you are only a blow in (no one else might get the joke but Pteri will)

Cheers,

TC

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 04:01 PM
(#18)
Like an autumn leaf on a freshly raked lawn

Thanks for encouragement dude it really means alot

So on that note I'd like to put myself forward again for member of the week and the next week and the next one and the next until eventually hopefully I'll bag myself a set of Saturday line up tickets

Haven't written a new entry in the blog for a while due to birthday shenanigans and a few other health issues but I'll be aiming to break out at least 20k volume this month and obviously I'll be blogging about my progress.

Laters,

Pt

Last edited by pteridophyta; Thu Dec 01, 2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 01:03 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Hi!

Applications for week #4 are now open.

Please indicate by posting on your thread some time this week that you want to take part in week #4 (assuming you do not win week #3 that is! )
If you are no longer interested in participating, a note on that is helpful as well.

A couple of helpful tips to increase your chances:

1) Update the links in your application thread.
New forum posts and blog posts tend to be more active than older ones, so replacing out dated links to threads which have run their course can help your score.
Make sure you update your application post itself, and not just post new links in the thread!

2) Try to make your content and style of posts as interesting as possible.
Not only does a compelling blog or forum thread generate more interest for the reader (thus more views), your MOW links will be judged on style and content too; the more interesting they are, the better those scores are likely to be!

3) Try to keep the links to your Week #4 blog and forum post submission near the top of your Face Book and Twitter pages.
The more people you can reach via Social Media, the better chance there is you will generate intrest in your posts. If you let your links slip down your Social media pages, fewer people will see them.

Good Luck!

-JDean

Old
Sun Dec 04, 2011, 04:30 PM
(#20)
Yep.

Pop me in for week #4 as well

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com