Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

questionable call?

Old
questionable call? - Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi all, love what PSO is doing, and I think these forums and all the training stuff are great tools to improve one's game. Anyway I have a hand that here that pretty much crippled my stack, in the Premiere league earlier today and I just wanted some thoughts on if I should have been calling or folding here and the mentality behind it. I mentioned it in my blog aswell but figured here I would get the right ppl to respond, and sooner lol. Here goes:

Thank you and thought processes or game theory stuff more than appreciated.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In the premier, or any of the other leagues, the main goal is to make it as far into the tourney as possible and avoid any earlier exits... so you can maximize the points that you will get from the game. You don't want to be going all-in when you're not reasonably sure you have the best hand.

In this situation, the one ? would be... do you have any reads on the opp? Do they always try to steal from late position? Have they shown any weaker hands?

The answers to these will be a large and the ultimate factor for determining what to do.

If the opp had shown a tendency to play weaker hands or steal alot, I don't think it's a horrible play to call, as you've got less than 10BB left.

If the opp has only been playing premium hands or not many hands at all (playing tight), then I'd probably muck and try to find a better spot when I'm in position and can put the pressure on the opponent, since the opp shoved instead of open raising to 2.5-4BB.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:45 PM
(#3)
thanks good advice. looking back at the hand history (afterwards ofcourse) I realized the opponent played very few if any hands leading up to this one, so in retrospect a fold was the wise move. Lesson learned. Appreciate the feedback

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
looking back at hands afterwards.... great move to make. It's how to learn from your mistakes and also to get some good notes on opps that you can enter into PS and that way, you'll have them for the next time you see the opp.

There is a good video by TheLangolier in the video section on note taking....

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ve-Note-Taking

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:32 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2011
(Moderator)
you shouldn't be to eager at 7 revolutions left, maybee at 5 ish maybee, but there a saying that goes "don't be a caller be the pusher instead"

-but don't quote me on that

peace

2edgar

ps. I would recommend the advice given by the dudes upstairs as they lead to great wisdom.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 11:29 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
In the premier, or any of the other leagues, the main goal is to make it as far into the tourney as possible and avoid any earlier exits... so you can maximize the points that you will get from the game. You don't want to be going all-in when you're not reasonably sure you have the best hand.

In this situation, the one ? would be... do you have any reads on the opp? Do they always try to steal from late position? Have they shown any weaker hands?

The answers to these will be a large and the ultimate factor for determining what to do.

If the opp had shown a tendency to play weaker hands or steal alot, I don't think it's a horrible play to call, as you've got less than 10BB left.

If the opp has only been playing premium hands or not many hands at all (playing tight), then I'd probably muck and try to find a better spot when I'm in position and can put the pressure on the opponent, since the opp shoved instead of open raising to 2.5-4BB.
+1,000,000

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 12:55 AM
(#7)
Thanks guys, great insight. Helps a bunch

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com