Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Question #01.

Old
Question #01. - Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hello,everybody!
Okay,here goes!
Initially,I like to spend a few days snooping around new sites,so I feel more comfortable when making my first,of probably many,idiotic newbie posts.
Recently,in the PS Lobby,I was checking out what was available for NLHE w/Play Money.
There had to be nearly 100 tables(all at 100/200)with only 1 to 4 players at each!
What the he** are they waiting for?
Can't they see each other?
What is it that I am missing?
I haven't played poker since the 60's,but I know we never had any 1 player cash games back then!
I wish we did.......I would have ended up with a lot more $$$ than I have now!
Anybody help me out here?
TIA!
Barry

P.S.Almost afraid to ask a few others that are crossing my mind.(How often does PS change decks?)(This one probably deserves a poll.To those only that this applies to........When playing at PS,online,do you still wear sunglasses to cover tells?)

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Dear Barry,

I don't play lots of play money now but when i did i noticed that a Lot of players would sit out (log off) and the table would die out around them. Did you take a look at anyof the tables i'm sure a lot of them had sitting out players in them.

As for the Sunglasses question....

Grade b.

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 07:43 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
alot of people will 'sit out' at those tables, if they are not full. It's the player's choice whether to be active or to sit out.
You may want to try the Sit & Go tab. There are alot of play money tournaments there with anything from a heads-up toruney, to a 27 or 5 person tourney, up to a 990 person tourney. People will still sitout some there, but not as often as some of the cash tables (you lose chips in a tourney each time the blinds get to you, where on a cash table, if you're sitting out, the blinds bypass you).

The cards are determined by a random number generator. Here's a link that should answer some of your ?'s on it. http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/features/security/

Good luck at the tables!

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 08:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadoooow View Post
Hello,everybody!
Okay,here goes!
Initially,I like to spend a few days snooping around new sites,so I feel more comfortable when making my first,of probably many,idiotic newbie posts.
Recently,in the PS Lobby,I was checking out what was available for NLHE w/Play Money.
There had to be nearly 100 tables(all at 100/200)with only 1 to 4 players at each!
What the he** are they waiting for?
Can't they see each other?
What is it that I am missing?
I haven't played poker since the 60's,but I know we never had any 1 player cash games back then!
I wish we did.......I would have ended up with a lot more $$$ than I have now!
Anybody help me out here?
TIA!
Barry

P.S.Almost afraid to ask a few others that are crossing my mind.(How often does PS change decks?)(This one probably deserves a poll.To those only that this applies to........When playing at PS,online,do you still wear sunglasses to cover tells?)
Hey Barry, welcome to the forum and PSO!
I like your nic. I once played the Shadow in a Christmas play about life around the radio during WWII, along with a few other radio voices. The Shadow knows....

A couple things to go over. First, on the limits, you are looking at the highest buy in amounts at 200/100 in play money. Try clicking on the stakes column header in gray. You'll see the list will flip flop when you do, and now you should be seeing 1/2 in play money at the top. As for the number of players, you should be able to see up to, and including, 9 players at a table, in each stake level. You may have to scroll a bit to get to them, but they are there.

Now, you may have your filter set with a stake amount. Look at the Hold 'em Ring Game Filter at the bottom left of your Pokerstars Lobby. When you open that, make sure that in the 2nd column in the top row, you don't have any stakes amounts selected. Make sure your max players are all checked in the first column. In the last one on the bottom row, make sure those are unchecked.
Make sure you have both boxes checked in the table speed column. And in general, look over the filter to make sure you can see what you want to. OR...you can simply turn off the filter and you will see every thing that is offered.

Let us know if this helps or if you're still having trouble seeing what you want.

With that, I encourage you to look through everything the community has to offer. There are some great promotions running now, which you can find under the Promotions tab up top.
To get all the info on the Poker School Skill Leagues, please go to the Home tab. Once there, scroll down to any leaderboard and just above each one, is a red League Overview link. Click on that to get all the information on the different league set-ups. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions on this material. Take your time, there is a lot to see.

Be sure to check out the Live training, videos, blogs, and all the rest that make this the best place to learn poker.

Thanks for the intro and,

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old
Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2011
(Moderator)
Quote:
Hello,everybody!
Okay,here goes!

Barry

........When playing at PS,online,do you still wear sunglasses to cover tells?)
hey Theshadow...aka Barry, welcome to the show, as for your most serious of questions do people wear sunglasses to cover tells?, ofcourse nolimit is mostly psychological (apparently) plus it keeps the jedis away from reading your mind/s.

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 09:33 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Welcome to the site.

If you are into play money, check out the two play money challenges. One, by Moxie, duplicates the Cowboy Challenge. This has got to be the most popular one on this site. For terms and conditions, check here:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-SNG-Challenge

If you would like to do something less than a hundred games, consider my Battle of the Planets challenge.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ge-open-to-all

You already got the instruction manual for finding the appropriate ring game and at the level you want. Remember to check out those video lessons, well worth the time and effort.

Best of luck to you.

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 01:55 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Dear Barry,

I don't play lots of play money now but when i did i noticed that a Lot of players would sit out (log off) and the table would die out around them. Did you take a look at anyof the tables i'm sure a lot of them had sitting out players in them.

As for the Sunglasses question....

Grade b.
Grade b,
Thanks for the answer.
I did look at the table.
I noticed when a player was 'sitting out',their stack size did not show up in the right hand display window,when you initially hilight a particular game in the PS Lobby.
I did start to wonder,though,could it be that the last player,whose winnings are larger than the max buy-in,can't go to a different table w/o lowering his stack to the max allowed at the newer table?But if he stays put,he gets to use it all?
Conversely,someone who doesn't have enough left for the min buy-in at a newer table,gets to continue playing at the original one with their lesser balance?
I also noticed the same thing in cash games.
Regardless of the stakes.
Thanks,anyways.
Good Luck on the felt!
Barry

P.S.Quick thinking on the 'sunglasses' reply.I try never to use emoticons.I'm of the belief that they are strictly for female use.But by other responses,my humour doesn't seem to be coming through,and I might have to jump ship on that stance.

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
alot of people will 'sit out' at those tables, if they are not full. It's the player's choice whether to be active or to sit out.
You may want to try the Sit & Go tab. There are alot of play money tournaments there with anything from a heads-up toruney, to a 27 or 5 person tourney, up to a 990 person tourney. People will still sitout some there, but not as often as some of the cash tables (you lose chips in a tourney each time the blinds get to you, where on a cash table, if you're sitting out, the blinds bypass you).

The cards are determined by a random number generator. Here's a link that should answer some of your ?'s on it. http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/features/security/

Good luck at the tables!
JWK24,
Thanks.
At this time I am still gathering intel.
No preference for anything in particular until I've delved into the videos,lessons,posts,etc.
Have to see if there's anywhere I can give myself an advantage over the competition.
Poker's a lot different now than when I last played in the 60's.
Some of the games are the same,some I don't see anymore.
I recall Stud,5-card draw,7-card stud,3-3-3,5 & 10 to open,follow the Queen,hi-low,acey-deucey & a few others.
But,in all my years of playing back then,I never,ever came across 'blinds',until a few years ago on TV,when I also noticed the fact that the guys at these tournaments weren't even playing what used to be considered the normal game of poker.5-card draw.
Anyways,thanks for your reply.
Good Luck on the felt!
Barry

P.S.I am quite familiar with an RNG.I guess I will have to start using emoticons to denote humour.

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Hey Barry, welcome to the forum and PSO!
I like your nic. I once played the Shadow in a Christmas play about life around the radio during WWII, along with a few other radio voices. The Shadow knows....

A couple things to go over. First, on the limits, you are looking at the highest buy in amounts at 200/100 in play money. Try clicking on the stakes column header in gray. You'll see the list will flip flop when you do, and now you should be seeing 1/2 in play money at the top. As for the number of players, you should be able to see up to, and including, 9 players at a table, in each stake level. You may have to scroll a bit to get to them, but they are there.

Now, you may have your filter set with a stake amount. Look at the Hold 'em Ring Game Filter at the bottom left of your Pokerstars Lobby. When you open that, make sure that in the 2nd column in the top row, you don't have any stakes amounts selected. Make sure your max players are all checked in the first column. In the last one on the bottom row, make sure those are unchecked.
Make sure you have both boxes checked in the table speed column. And in general, look over the filter to make sure you can see what you want to. OR...you can simply turn off the filter and you will see every thing that is offered.

Let us know if this helps or if you're still having trouble seeing what you want.

With that, I encourage you to look through everything the community has to offer. There are some great promotions running now, which you can find under the Promotions tab up top.
To get all the info on the Poker School Skill Leagues, please go to the Home tab. Once there, scroll down to any leaderboard and just above each one, is a red League Overview link. Click on that to get all the information on the different league set-ups. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions on this material. Take your time, there is a lot to see.

Be sure to check out the Live training, videos, blogs, and all the rest that make this the best place to learn poker.

Thanks for the intro and,
Hey 3x!1Dan,
Thanks,and I guess someone in the first 20 million+ users came up with 'The Shadow',as that was what I really wanted.
As to my query,and your response?I feel bad that you put so much effort into it.
I found the filter,etc.,easy to navigate,and actually do see what I am looking for,when it is there to be found.
I was wondering about the 'why?' of it?
I only can type one key at a time,so I am going to cut & paste an earlier post,so you might fully understand where I'm coming from.

“Grade b,
I did look at the table.
I noticed when a player was 'sitting out',their stack size did not show up in the right hand display window,when you initially hilight a particular game in the PS Lobby.
I did start to wonder,though,could it be that the last player,whose winnings are larger than the max buy-in,can't go to a different table w/o lowering his stack to the max allowed at the newer table?But if he stays put,he gets to use it all?
Conversely,someone who doesn't have enough left for the min buy-in at a newer table,gets to continue playing at the original one with their lesser balance?
Regardless of the stakes.”

Hope that might clear things up a bit?
Now,as to the latter part of your reply,I have another cut &paste.

“JWK24,
No preference for anything in particular until I've delved into the videos,lessons,posts,etc.
Have to see if there's anywhere I can give myself an advantage over the competition.
Poker's a lot different now than when I last played in the 60's.”

So,I've got a lot of studying to do to bring me up to speed!
Thanks a lot!
Good Luck on the felt!
Barry

P.S.You know,if I use the above shortform for your User I.D.,every 1 million times I type your name I will save 2 million keystrokes.More time for Poker!Pretty smart,eh?

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgar View Post
hey Theshadow...aka Barry, welcome to the show, as for your most serious of questions do people wear sunglasses to cover tells?, ofcourse nolimit is mostly psychological (apparently) plus it keeps the jedis away from reading your mind/s.

2edgar,
Thanks,my man!
Gettin' right to the point!
No beatin' around the bush!
May the cards be with you!
Good Luck on the felt!
Barry

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
Welcome to the site.

If you are into play money, check out the two play money challenges. One, by Moxie, duplicates the Cowboy Challenge. This has got to be the most popular one on this site. For terms and conditions, check here:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-SNG-Challenge

If you would like to do something less than a hundred games, consider my Battle of the Planets challenge.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ge-open-to-all

You already got the instruction manual for finding the appropriate ring game and at the level you want. Remember to check out those video lessons, well worth the time and effort.

Best of luck to you.
CD,
Thanks,but right now I'm just absorbing all the info I can come up with!
Good Luck on the felt!
Barry

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 03:19 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
The old hedgehog will give you a tip of his fedora. You're the smart one here by taking your time and checking out the field. As Sun Tzu once said, the general who knows his enemy will prevail. Learning all you can from those instructional tapes should be your first priority. I'll admit my game improved by several magnitudes thanks to them. If nothing else, I learned what constitutes a good starting hand.

Many of the games you mentioned are available. I started with the draw games on another site until it closed. Migrated here where I learned Hold'em. Consider the play money another great training asset. Sure, the players sometimes act like fools since there is nothing to lose, but adhering to the lessons will give you such an advantage. Just be ready for the inevitable bad beats and suck-outs common on play money games.

Another suggestion from the old hedgehog: check out those home games. I understand some of these are play money. You can anticipate higher quality play since the players want to improve their skills and not rely on the luck factor. We have a whole section of the forum dedicated to the home game. If you cannot find something that draws your interest, post a "player wanted" ad. Somebody will see it.

Make some friends by initiating a little chat at the play money ring games. Sometimes you'll get a response. (A simple "nh" will be enough.) Drop a hint or two that you're looking to find a companionable group you can join. I've been amazed how many people have informal meets online. Some of these can be high quality play. If you show a serious attitude to the game and a friendly one on the table, they might tell you when they will be online.

As to the use of smilies, I'm with you. Not a fan of them, but will use a few. It's part of the usual friendly banter. And last time I checked, the old hedgehog was all male. (LOL) See? They can be used.

My last word is on table banter. Anticipate some trash talk. In most cases, this is either bluster or something intended for intimidation. Play the cards in such situations. Answering these players usually will escalate the trash talk into personalized insults and vulgarity. Though you can report such incidents, many times nothing happens. Learn to ignore it. If you keep yours light and friendly, it will go a long way to making friends here. We might try killing each other on the felt, but it doesn't mean we cannot exchange pleasantries on, and off, the felt.

Old
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 03:33 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Hey 3x!1Dan,
Thanks,and I guess someone in the first 20 million+ users came up with 'The Shadow',as that was what I really wanted.
As to my query,and your response?I feel bad that you put so much effort into it.
I found the filter,etc.,easy to navigate,and actually do see what I am looking for,when it is there to be found.
I was wondering about the 'why?' of it?
I only can type one key at a time,so I am going to cut & paste an earlier post,so you might fully understand where I'm coming from.

“Grade b,
I did look at the table.
Regardless of the stakes.”

Hope that might clear things up a bit?
Now,as to the latter part of your reply,I have another cut &paste.

“JWK24,
Poker's a lot different now than when I last played in the 60's.”

So,I've got a lot of studying to do to bring me up to speed!
Thanks a lot!
Good Luck on the felt!
Barry

P.S.You know,if I use the above shortform for your User I.D.,every 1 million times I type your name I will save 2 million keystrokes.More time for Poker!Pretty smart,eh?
You can just call me Dan and save 6 million strokes.
A player may sit out, as you suggest, and be waiting on others to join so that they can still have more than the max buy-in. But personally, I feel they may be sitting out do to something else, perhaps they play multiple tables and missed their turn to act, thus the game sat them out and they just simply don't realize it. As to the smaller stacks than minimum buy in, that is the players prerogative. They may not have much more and can't go and buy into another table. They can always reload on the table they're at. Some players like to play with a small amount and attempt to build their chips that way.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sitters and what they're doing. I personally don't like being at a ring game with a sitter. It cuts down on vpp accumulation and potential earnings.

Let us know if you need any assistance finding topics to study or anything else.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com