Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Some insight needed

Old
Some insight needed - Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I have seen this behaviour a few times but I am failing to fathom the logic behind it.

I am betting ( OK not heavily, but I want callers )

I bet ( again not heavily ) on each street ( I want to be called or raised )

My question is this, Why does PROF_SCHLAUI re-raise on the river ? if he is thinking that I am on a Bluff ?

Surely he is better just calling ? The best he could possibly do with his holding is to chop.

Does my betting pattern here suggest a Bluff ? If so, I need to practice this technique as it could prove very useful.

PokerStars Game #70716130148: Tournament #470686362, $0.09+$0.01 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/11/17 18:58:14 ET
Table '470686362 27' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: maryh000 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: ironmike1977 (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: cannaforme (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: sneferu84 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: MENDESPOK221 (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: Bill Curran (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: PROF_SCHLAUI (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: rotenronnie (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: n.ferreiro (1500 in chips)
ironmike1977: posts small blind 10
cannaforme: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Bill Curran [Qs Ah]
sneferu84: folds
MENDESPOK221: folds
Bill Curran: calls 20
PROF_SCHLAUI: calls 20
rotenronnie: folds
n.ferreiro: folds
maryh000: calls 20
ironmike1977: calls 10
cannaforme: checks
*** FLOP *** [5d Qh 9s]
ironmike1977: checks
cannaforme: checks
Bill Curran: bets 100
PROF_SCHLAUI: calls 100
maryh000: calls 100
ironmike1977: calls 100
cannaforme: folds
*** TURN *** [5d Qh 9s] [Qc]
ironmike1977: checks
Bill Curran: bets 200
PROF_SCHLAUI: calls 200
maryh000: folds
ironmike1977: folds
*** RIVER *** [5d Qh 9s Qc] [9h]
Bill Curran: bets 400
PROF_SCHLAUI: raises 780 to 1180 and is all-in
Bill Curran: calls 780 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PROF_SCHLAUI: shows [Ac 6c] (two pair, Queens and Nines)
Bill Curran: shows [Qs Ah] (a full house, Queens full of Nines)
Bill Curran collected 3260 from pot
PROF_SCHLAUI finished the tournament in 315th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3260 | Rake 0
Board [5d Qh 9s Qc 9h]
Seat 1: maryh000 (button) folded on the Turn
Seat 2: ironmike1977 (small blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 3: cannaforme (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: sneferu84 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: MENDESPOK221 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Bill Curran showed [Qs Ah] and won (3260) with a full house, Queens full of Nines
Seat 7: PROF_SCHLAUI showed [Ac 6c] and lost with two pair, Queens and Nines
Seat 8: rotenronnie folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: n.ferreiro folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
I dont see nothing wrong u got all his chips . mabe he thought u never had the q so he tried to make it look like he had it. Or mabe his monitor is upside down and he thought his 6 was a 9 and thought he had a full house

Old
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:35 PM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post
My question is this, Why does PROF_SCHLAUI re-raise on the river ? if he is thinking that I am on a Bluff ?

Surely he is better just calling ? The best he could possibly do with his holding is to chop.

Does my betting pattern here suggest a Bluff ? If so, I need to practice this technique as it could prove very useful.
I don't think so tbh, your betting pattern suggests Qx to me. I wouldn't ascribe to much to this guys play, he called a pot sized bet on the flop with no pair and no draw, from an EP limper and with 3 other players still to act behind him. That in and of itself is bad enough to indicate that his reasoning at the end of the hand is not based in sound poker logic. In other words, he's got some reason for doing what he did, but it won't resemble good poker sense. I think your line looks like value all the way personally, and even if he thinks for some reason that you're bluffing, then it's much better poker for him to just call since he can beat all bluffs (which would be busted straight draws or small pocket pairs that got counterfeited). His raise will never get better hands to fold and never get called by worse.

Old
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Simply put Bill, your opponent made a mistake.

WHICH mistake he made is open to questions, but he un-doubtedly made a mistake here:

Maybe he over valued his hand and thought he held the best when the board double paired.
If he "reads" you as a naked A, or a pp smaller than 9s, then the river counterfeited you.
He may have thought you were chopping and wanted to "power" you off your half of the chop.

Maybe he has no clue about the size of the pot, stacks sizes, and the strength your betting line represented.
If he has no clue how to read hands in light of the percentage of a stack an opponent is willing to put into the pot, he may think he has "bluff power" left in his stack after your river bet.

Maybe he has learned to range opponents only on hands that are FAVORABLE to his holding.
He could be the wishful thinker type, and the board double pairing made it possible that you were on the same hand, or even less (in his mind).

All in all Bill, a lot of the bad decisions your opponent made here could be prevented in he watched these 2 videoes:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...3-Hand-Reading
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ment-Decisions

When done with those, this one might help too:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...14-Fold-Equity

And as dessert" he'd probably find this one helpful too:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...quity-Maximize

But the BIGGEST lesson he may need to learn is to look at his own play, and to see the benefits of fixing whatever major leak in his thinking caused this atrocious line.

Last edited by JDean; Thu Nov 17, 2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old
Thu Nov 17, 2011, 11:14 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree. Your opp blew this one bigtime. They put you on ace/rag, like them, not a Q.. or even a 9. Anytime anyone wants to underestimate you, take full advantage of it.

You betting pattern puts you on a Q... like you had. You did fine in it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com