Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Member Blogs / Member of the Month /

Application

Old
Application - Fri Nov 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
I would like to be considered for member of the week for this week and in the future. My name is Joy, I am a retired IT manager 58 years young. I first got interested in NLHE through watching it on TV, I wasn't familiar with this particular poker game prior to that time. I checked out quite a few poker sites, but liked PS best from the first. Since Daniel Negreanu is one of my favourite players and Canadian as well, it seemed like a good idea to play here.

I started with play money in December 2010, and I didn't realize that you could get more money if you lost the initial $1K, so I played very carefully to build up my stake. By the time I reached $200K, I was playing the Astronomer freerolls and trying to win some real money. I had some limited success, and had $1.02 in my bankroll when I received an email from PS saying that they were giving me $5 to help me on my way. The rest, as they say, is history.

My bankroll had some ups and downs, but I managed to stay afloat. I played a lot of .02 990 and .10 360 tourneys to slowly build my BR. I was super conservative, since I had agreed with my husband never to deposit. I was determined to start from zero and build my BR by winning.

I think the most important thing I've learned from playing poker is how to deal with the bad beats. I was very discouraged a few months back, it seemed that no matter how good my hand was, opponents would draw out on me. I decided to review my hand histories to try and figure out where I was going wrong. After many hours of reading, I found a few leaks in my game and decided that the suck outs were something I couldn't control. Once you're all in, you are at the mercy of the cards. It was like a light bulb came on, I realized that in order to have a bad beat, you had to be getting your money in with the best hand. Bad beats haven't bothered me (much) since.

I had noticed the link on the PS menu to Poker School, but was sure I wouldn't be able to afford it with my meager BR. I was very surprised to find out that it was FREE, and joined in July 2010. I lurked in the forum for a while, reading everything with interest but not taking part. I felt that my poker knowledge was minimal compared to most of the PSO regulars, so I just stayed in the background learning. I started getting involved in December, and have been a regular contributor ever since. I am currently reading my way through the library, and watching the training videos, as well as participating in some live training. All of these things are helping me improve my game, and I heartily recommend them to anyone looking to improve.

I would like to give a special thank you to all the members of the Drunk Tank and Jokers Wild home games, they all helped me become the player that I am today, and are a great bunch of people.

Forum Post:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...nets-Challenge

Blog:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=21130

Social Media:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...881884&sk=wall

**Week #5 REQUIREMENTS MET**

Last edited by JDean; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Add social media, update forum post

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
dang Joy stars only gave me $2 to start... good luck!!

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 06:50 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Missing Items in Application:

- No Social Media Site links
(Note: Social Media self-promotion should link back to your blog and forum posts, not your application post.)
(Please show link to your FB PROFILE so we can see the back links to PSO.)

Please provide the missing items to complete your application post.

Thank You.

**REQUIREMENTS MET**

Last edited by JDean; Sat Nov 19, 2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
(#4)
Social media link added, sorry!

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 07:26 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Joy7108,

Please view the sticky thread on how to post Face Book links.

We need to be able to verify that you've promoted your Blog and Forum posts on FB, so we need to have a like to your Profile please. Instructions are in the sticky thread of this forum.

Thank you.

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 04:46 PM
(#6)
Sorry, JD, I think I've got it right now.

Old
Sat Nov 19, 2011, 05:02 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
Sorry, JD, I think I've got it right now.

you got it now!

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:39 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Joy, are you in for week #2?

All you have to do is say you want to be on this thread!

I really like your poker story, and I'm sure others will to! Views count, so try to keep PSO links near the top of your facebook!

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:54 PM
(#9)
Thank you JD, I think it's interesting because I had to build from nothing, when my husband found out I was gambling online we made a deal, no deposits, so I had better motivation than some lol.

If I blow the wad, I have to start again from the .02 990's and the .10 360's, I'll do almost anything to avoid that.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
(#10)
Please consider my application for week 2.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:38 AM
(#11)
So I'm in first place in the Drunk Tank, that may not mean much to most of you, but take my word for it, it's a major accomplishment. Some of the most skilled players in the PSO play in this game, so it's a real accomplishment to do well. I have 18K and my closest competitor has 5688. I'm thrilled to death to be doing well in this of all games!! Four left, Effsea, Johnny Oak, brkn80 and me. AhKc and wouldn't you know it, everybody folds.

This is such a fun game i don't even care if I win. That's saying something, I always care about winning, lol. I currently have 16,480 in chips, closest opponent has 7268. 79o in the BB, 2 raises think I'll fold. Brkn8 wins the pot.

Mucked Q6 and two queens, guess I should have stayed in that hand. Lots of time, I still have twice the stack of any of my opponents. 7s8h in BB, got a walk. Bluffed the trip tens on the river and won.

Pocket fours, raised and picked up the pot. Jc4d, had to fold to a raise. Raising pocket threes, facing an all in from Effsea, guess I should fold. Raise to 1250 from brkn80, have to call w TT, but he beats me with JJ, now I'm second.

Effsea out now just three of us left. So I've dropped to third now, told you these games are tough. Pocket sevens, everyone folds, then call with Jh9h, flop comes Qh 5d Ts, OESD so I'm going. Unfortunately, it doesn't hit and Johnny Oak wins with 9cQc and I'm out.

The drunk tank games are some of the best home games, even the play money games are well worth playing. I give a lot of credit to the Tank for the improvement in my game, those guys have taught me a lot.

Heads up and I'm still watching, I can learn a lot from these guys. Johnny Oak takes it down with a flopped
straight!! Till next week...

Last edited by joy7108; Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 05:10 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I love this... and agree wholeheartedly with you on all points! Again... it really was GREAT to see you tonight, hope it isn't so long before the next time!!!

Have a great night!!

MJ

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2011
damn joy.... u really want this...

and if I were a bettin man (which I am), I'd say it won't be long coming...

I've been watching u from afar... in fact... I've railed ur games in the Women's Division in the past.

Ur as solid a player as anyone in the DT2...

I've often stated this to both BUZZ and jordan2652...

Looking foward to the day when U have ur run @ this line-up of Tourneys...

Until then... just keep up the good effort, and everything else will fall in place... promise...

EasyChips4U

Last edited by EasyChips4U; Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 25, 2011, 11:50 PM
(#14)
Easy, are you psychic?? You were right, I nailed the tank this week!! I consider this a major accomplishment, I've been playing these games for quite a while, feels great to finally win one!!

Old
Sat Nov 26, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
play the other.. I'll give you a run for bragging rights.... or check that.. JO just might too!

Good playing Joy

Old
Sat Nov 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
(#16)
Congrats Joy on nailing the tank.
And a hardy slap on the back for your bank roll management.
(Maybe that slap should go to your husband

Good luck with adding Player of the Week to your many accomplishments.

Old
Thumbs up
Way to slap - Sat Nov 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
(#17)
the drunks around Joy,,, good job!

Old
Sun Nov 27, 2011, 05:30 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
If Joy hadn't stopped by my Cowboy's Challenge thread and shown interest in my progress, and taken the time to notice that I had a serious problem with playing tilted, I think I'd still be a losing player month after month. Instead, thanks to Joy (and Chris, Moxie, Darkman, and everybody else who stopped by to offer support), I wound up making $50 last month.

Sometimes what might feel like a little thing to one person, can end up meaning a lot to somebody else. So thanks Joy, for your taking that time to share your insight - it made the world of difference

Good luck with MOTW!

Old
Sun Nov 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
(#19)
Thanks for those kind words, Sam, you made my day. Its nice to know I helped.

Old
Sun Nov 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
(#20)
Please continue to consider me for Member of the Week.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com