Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How can I Learn if i dont want to read a book?

Old
How can I Learn if i dont want to read a book? - Fri Nov 18, 2011, 08:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi all,

I just read a post asking "What are good poker books?"

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...OD-Poker-Books

and i nearly hijacked it but i say my bit here.

i have the following books

in order of purchace

Poker for dummies *
the theory of poker #
scarne's guide to mordern poker !
small stakes hold'em !
winning low limit hold'em #
no limit hold'em thory and practice !
texas hold'em odds and probabilities !
Kill everyone #
everyhand revealed *

so the key * = read it all
# = read bits and trying to read more
! = not read it

Why,

I am dyslexic and poker books are a nightmare on my eyes / brain. the two i have read are well spaced and easyer to read.

I have Learnt more from videos here at PSO than books.

What about you? How do you best learn poker and is it differant from other forms of learning?

Grade b

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Sorry about your dyslexia. Everyone learns differently. Some people hate reading books. I cannot learn well by listening. I prefer to learn by doing - but reading and watching videos also work for me.

Pick your favorite learning style, find some resources to fit, and good luck.

Herk

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 08:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Being a stubborn S.O.B I tend to learn the hard way on most things that are new and out of my comfort zone.

What works for me might not work for others but i'm sure there are others out there that will agree with me that by just getting in there and doing it and trying to absorb as much information as your brain will allow until something just clicks one day and it all becomes natural

My play in the Open League at the moment is kinda sketchy, I am hoping to make it into the Premier within the next few months, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I seriously get frustrated at times trying to over come the learning curb, playing in the Open league can test even the most patient player.

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Apply to become JDean's Man Friday...

Seriously though the videos can help a lot,saving your Hand Histories and examining your play is very important,especially if you share some of the hands in the Hand Analysis thread so you can get some fresh perspectives. Becoming part of an on-line study group is beneficial for many as well. Also just railing successful players and trying to get a feel for some of the moves and skills they have developed can help. Just finding a poker "buddy" who is more experienced than you are and has been a good player whom you can bounce ideas off of is a good thing to have as well.

I'm sure that I'm leaving some other methods to learn that other peeps will mention out here grade,but just having the "want to" to improve your game by learning is the biggest step to take. Many never do (thankfully...).

Old
Fri Nov 18, 2011, 09:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
Google Audible.
You can download Audiobooks to your computer then put them on your Ipod or Phone, Plug in your earplugs and listen while you do other things. The only one I have is Phil Gordons little Green Book. I found it quite interesting it is even narrated by Phil Gordon himself.

Old
Mon Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
A big thank you to all those who replied The next poker book i buy will definatly be an Audio book.

Grade b

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com