Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

grrr was folding the better option???

Old
Wink
grrr was folding the better option??? - Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
just a few minutes into the premier. see this dude overbetting several times before this one. uses the shove to push people of his marginal scent!!

he shoved this flop and i knew i was in front of him!!

what should you have done???

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
push people off his marginal scent? I would pas him some deoderant

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
lol i mean if hit hit a pair of deuces his next move is shoving! like a lot of spanish players

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 07:16 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
(Moderator)
[QUOTE=77wopke77;311306]just a few minutes into the premier. see this dude overbetting several times before this one. uses the shove to push people of his marginal scent!!

he shoved this flop and i knew i was in front of him!!

what should you have done???

I would have done the same, you were clearly the favourite on that flop...and seems like your read was good.
BUT, the NIT inside of me might say, he might not be bluffing with his raising and shoving, he might be telling the truth, maybe he knows that there are lots of calling stations at this level, and therefore betting large would be the optimal play, maybe he taught that you were going for the draw on the flop, maybe thats why he pushed all in to cancel your pot odds assuming he thinks you paid attention to it, with one over card to his hand on the flop he was probably thinking you missed it. OR he was representing QQ, KK, AA, even though you flopped a very good draw, my NIT is contemplating should I risk my whole stack now based on my read and a chance to double up if he had QQ, KK you will be just ahead BUT what if your opponent had AA? you would have been behind roughly 10%....was the risk of busting out now so early in the tourny or wait a little longer for more points?, well thats up to you to decide, but I would have done the same thing.

peace

Last edited by 2edgar; Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: over card, not over pair

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 07:41 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Had you called the all in shove with just top/top, that might have been a bit loose this early. Any 1 pair hand can be vulnerable on this flop, and the depth of money is too great to really like stacking yourself off here even if the villain has shown a propensity to bluff shove a lot of flops. You gotta remember, sometimes even players with exploitable leaks wake up with a real hand...

BUT...

Combining your read of him as making large flop moves on marginal holdings with the fact you had top/top AND the nut flush draw to give oyu outs even if you are behind, and I think this call is just fine. It is still risky, and perhaps a cumulative score league with a big penalty for an early bust is NOT the place to take the risk, but with the info you had and the hand you had, you cannot really be said to have made "mistake" here.

When the hand flops over, not only are you ahead, but the villian does not even have full value of all 6 "clean outs" he might think he had. It is just un-lucky for you that he spiked one of the few clean outs he did have.

So COULD you have let this go on the flop in a cumulative scoring league: Yes. But if you were going to do that you probably should have not even called the raise pre flop. The risk to you here is there, but if you are seeking a big stack immediately to get to plus points, there are far worse spots to come along.

As played, this is just bad luck.

It happens

Old
Sun Nov 20, 2011, 08:54 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I liked the way you played it. When the chips went in on the flop, you had basically 85% equity. Unlucky river, but I'm playing it the exact same way.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com