Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Heads Up

Old
Heads Up - Mon Nov 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar
Before getting into the hand I have to say that I'm not sure where I stand as a heads up player. I'm not very good in my opinion, but I not that bad compared to my opponents at this level.

When we started heads up my opponent had a big lead and I was able to make up a lot of ground. I was really starting to get a feel for him. He had an obvious bet sizing tell and I was taking advantage. He was betting big when he had something and small when he had nothing. When out of position I would check to him and if he bet big I would fold and if he bet small I would raise.

In the hand I'm not sure if I should even be playing 97o out of position, but like I said I had a very good feel for where I was most of the time. On the flop I checked it back to him and he insta-checked, like he had clicked check/fold. On the turn I lead out and he calls. On the river I lead out again and get raised... at this point I'm thinking he slowplayed a set or two pair, I'm not concerned about the backdoor flush (should I be?), the one hand I was worried about was jack 9, but I have a 9 so it seemed unlikely. I'm wondering a few things: Should I flat his raise (15bb is decent, but he would have a massive lead)? Can I fold? How can I improve my heads up play when I'm playing mtts?

Old
Mon Nov 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
79o OOP really isn't a hand I'd want... but you could do worse, as at least it's a 1-gap.

You gotta bet the flop. Take the lead in the hand since you're OOP and find out where you are in the hand. You've got a pair and an OESD, so use this to try and get some info from the opp.

On the turn, especially if I bet the flop and get called, I'm checking. Hoping to get a free card at a straight or set.

River: like the lead with the straight and I'm not folding... BUT... with a flush and a higher straight possible, I'd flat it. That way, if they did have either, I'd still be in the tourney, but if I'm ahead, I've got a huge chip lead.

Anytime you're HU, even if you are at a chip disadvantage, you can come back... you've only got to beat 1 person, not an entire table.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com