Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

lost to villain slow playing AA

Old
lost to villain slow playing AA - Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
in facebook 0.10c tourney.. Mid stages.. Pretty sure villain didn't play his hand the best.
Of course him limping in small blind I put him on a could have anything type hand

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Wow, he did play that poorly.

Still, you had enough reason to lead on your Q hit, and you lost about as little as you could here.

I do absolutely nothing differently, and I just shake my head and tell that guy TY for not raising at any point int he hand.

One of the things about aggressive poker is that sometimes you will get into spots like this. It happens. If you do not put some chips out there when it surely looks like you have the best hand, you are going to be giving up far too much value on your made hands by playing in fear of "monsters under the bed".

Look on the bright side: you still had 11BB left, and you did not bust.

Well done.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Absolutely right he didn't play his hand well. He allowed you to see the flop for the minimum price, you flop 9 outs to a very strong flush, the turn brings additional outs.......

as for his flat call on the river,

He could easily have been beaten here, a terrible way to play aces.

Raiser

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:12 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
could the guys train of thought been well if i raise the bb here he,s gonna fold and im not getting value out of my aces>? it was blind vs blind after all and after the flop the check was weak but he also had Ac in his hands so wasn,t to worried about the flush, didn't he play it weak for a reason and got some chips from his aces?.Yes thats no way to play aces from other positions but to my crazy brain that seemed like a good play lol.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:21 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPest72 View Post
could the guys train of thought been well if i raise the bb here he,s gonna fold and im not getting value out of my aces>? it was blind vs blind after all and after the flop the check was weak but he also had Ac in his hands so wasn,t to worried about the flush, didn't he play it weak for a reason and got some chips from his aces?.Yes thats no way to play aces from other positions but to my crazy brain that seemed like a good play lol.
Even if that was his train of thought, he is risking a free flop given to a random hand...after the flop more often than not AA is just 1 pair and that doesn't beat 2 pair+...

Not only that, take the flop we saw here, with all clubs. That is a BIG "action killer" flop for him if Tom does not hold a good club (or a flopped flush), so by not raising pre he may see flops like this that Tom cannot call anything on too.

So sure, a raise CAN run people out, but no hand is 100% to win pre flop, so why give a hand a chance to INCREASE its equity for free over 20% pre flop any hand has versus AA?

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 12:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Even if that was his train of thought, he is risking a free flop given to a random hand...after the flop more often than not AA is just 1 pair and that doesn't beat 2 pair+...
Exactly.. In the pocket Aces thread in the general forum I posted a hand where I limped in with 97s on the button and the BB (holding AA) checked.

Flop came 97 and something else.. He checked, I shoved, he called, and at showdown his AA lost to my two pair. If he'd raised pre flop I wouldn't have been in that hand.

My general betting strategy is.. "if you think you are ahead. Raise, if you think you can draw to be ahead check/call if you have the odds, otherwise fold." slow playing sometimes pays off but giving people the chance to improve to a hand that can beat you is trouble. Also, if things do go to showdown you want to be against as few hands as possible.

I think I read somewhere that, 70% of the time or so, the best hand on the flop is the best hand at showdown. (I may be completely wrong on the % but I'm pretty sure it was greater than 50%) I'd be interested to know what the stat is for pre flop.. I guess of course with these things it depends how many players are in the hand.

Last edited by Tomcrockpot; Tue Nov 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: extra

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That was a really bad play on their part. If HU, you don't just want to complete, either raise or fold.
What I'd have done, if I were you, was to make a bet on the flop to see where I was. If the opp called, then I check/fold the turn if it doesn't hit my hand.... by doing that, you may have found out sooner that you weren't ahead and saved some chips. Although, you did lose about the minimum that you could with this.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Cant be real AA never wins

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:26 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
QUOTE I'd be interested to know what the stat is for pre flop.. I guess of course with these things it depends how many players are in the hand.

i think its 85% heads up then drops to 50% 3 player but i could be wrong i'm not right about much lol.

LMFAO@roomik good one m8

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com