Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

XxTiberxX's Struggles

Old
XxTiberxX's Struggles - Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
After this hand and another bad streak today I just realised I cant stand this happening to me and I never will be a good poker player.

I cant stand the thought that after watching so many videos, having so many hand analysed, reading so many poker books, I still get lucked out by people that havent learned a thing.

I lost 90 dollars in the past 2 weeks approx and I just cant stand it anymore.

Goodbye

ps. Its problaby just a moodswing but anywayz for now

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
I look at these in a positive way now and not a bad way. You got the guy all in when u was ahead and he sucked you out! It's poker and this happens. If u look at it in the same way as me u will soon forget these hands and just move onto the next 1. Ask your self how many times have you done it to someone and ask how many times it happens to you. You will only remember it happening to you cause you got in a rage. You could off also got out that pot by watching the hand I thought a raiser and a caller both had good cards. I would have just flat called to see a flop but I can't say to much as I am still learning myself. You said you lost 90 in 2 weeks! Are u sticking to bankroll management if not then u should look into that. I found a few days rest and watching videos help calm me down a bit. You could also try playing the micros 0.25 buy ins till your game picks back up. I find playing down here my bankroll is lasting forever for the 1st time in 5 years. We all wanna give up at some point but never do cause we love the game so much. So from experience ill see you very soon

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
shoving 23BB without seeing the board without AA or KK is going to get you into alot of problems. You can't be shove-happy and win long term at NL. At this early point in a tournament, there are alot of people that can call with anything, that can draw out on you.
You want to make sure that you have the best hand after all 7 cards, not just to two in your hand.

I made that mistake alot when I first started playing and it's something that you'll have to change, as if you do this type of move repeatedly, you'll need to be really, really lucky to end up with a +ROI.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
You wont get much honesty from people when it comes to quitting,every one will tell you to keep plugging away. I think this is wrong to tell people as we dont know your personal situation.

Poker is not for every one and the swings can take a toll on some of us to the extend that it effects our mental state.

Take some time to really think if you want to keep playing poker.
If your not missing it than you got yourself a answer.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 02:24 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
dont quit man next time just call in that spot
after the flop tho i dont know what i would do
keep playing man that wont happen all the time

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:59 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
edit

Last edited by Deleted user; Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
dont quit man next time just call in that spot
after the flop tho i dont know what i would do
keep playing man that wont happen all the time
edit

Last edited by Deleted user; Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:37 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
You'll get over it. Trust me. variance is always there, bad beats happen.
The best of luck bro. Peace out!

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:11 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
If that's the way you really feel, then you probably should quit. A good poker player needs to be able to take those bad beats and bounce back, if you can't do this then you shouldn't be playing.

Sounds harsh, I know, but better you find out now rather than later. Poker isn't for everyone, and maybe you're just one of the ones that shouldn't play.

A word of advice, take a couple of days off, and think about your game and what you really want to accomplish in your poker career. It takes a lot of determination to really work at getting better, the TV coverage encourages you to think you can be the next poker millionaire, but it takes a lot of hard work to actually get there.

Whatever you decide, good luck in all your future endeavors.

Old
you'll get it... - Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:38 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
i wouldn't give up if you love the game; but you HAVE to love the game. if you do, then getting good will be something that you will HAVE to do, not WANT to do. vent your frustrations here, if you need to. everyone will understand. when i was starting out last year, i came on here and pretty much made an ass of myself at times. but there are good players with good advice around here. when learning, don't be so concerned with trying to make money. get concerned about your game. you could even play on the free games until you get good. some might not recommend that, but it is a great way to learn, i.m.o. you will begin to notice things start to change in your game after a lot of practice. some things will hit you right over your head with realization. one day you will jump out of your chair during a game and shout, "i get it"! other things take longer, but you will be surprised about how your thinking starts to rise to another level. and then another level. you'll start to make correct bet sizes with top tier hands, instead of just jamming with them for fear of getting sucked out on. you'll begin to just KNOW the correct moves to make for the situation. you will make c-bets with confidence and not apprehension. you will begin to read other players better and the first time you pick off a bluff not even having a great hand yourself, you will rejoice. focus on a particular kind of game and stick with that. types of games involve different strategies. sit & go's seem easier to learn on than ring games do. there is more skill needed for ring games, even at the small stakes. s&g"s are more 'solved' and involve less variance. there is a slew of excellent training videos on this site and even on you-tube; and they are free! when i was learning (still am) i think i watched more videos than i actually played the game. then, i would get in there and play, armed with a strategy. i'm not claiming to be very good, myself, but i went through all the frustration you speak of. the best is gonna be when your confidence level goes up and you're not playing scared. not saying you play scared, yourself, but having confidence is a HUGE part of being successful, i believe.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 04:16 AM
(#11)
well yesterday I've talked with Spike and found out that I play for all the whrong reasons.

I love to play poker, but only if I win money, Spike loves to play poker but doesnt care about the money and that's why hes enjoying it more.

I hope to meet Spike and the gang this evening on teamspeak, they really wanted to teach me about the reasons why to play poker.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:35 AM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2010
Chuckkky's Tips
Only gamble with what you are happy to lose.
Make sure you have a few beers when you play so if you make bad plays you have an excuse.
If you suffer a bad beat, Yell at the screen and have another Beer.
Works for me.
Good luck.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
(#13)
haha very nice advice, but i dont wanna get drunk every night when i have to work everyday, the way im losing i will have 40 beers at the end of 4 hours :P

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Try the cowboy challenge playing 0.25 games and see how u get on. Doing this is what made me realise bankroll management is the only way foward and to make the money last.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:47 AM
(#15)
Tiber,

What concerns me the most Tiber is that you say you have lost $90 as though it is the last dime you have! If it is then you haven't been paying attention because many people in here including myself have given clear direction on good bankroll management.
If it isn't your last dime then what? TT i am guessing was played all in becasue you had a read on the opponents and wanted to pick up the dead money by squeezing. You made your decision ( right or wrong ) and you lost so move on.
Now if you can't handle the beats and get tilted then you prolly should quit. Employing good bankroll management and playing good solid ABC poker does work as many have proven. If this seems harsh I'm sorry but you are clearly at a difficult time in your poker phase and need to get through it. You have seen there are many people here that are willing to help so take it or leave it!

Gidee Up!

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
(#16)
well actually that 90 dollar is the bigges thing I've ever had, everytime I deposit 10 or 20 dollars I get my ass kicked for depositing money again at gamble games (i still live at my parents)

and yes i suck at bankroll management, for a real life example, Ive been losing for some hours and I think to myself, lets play a 30 dollar 50fifty so i can win it all back at once, get kicked out at 8th and destroyed my bankroll, thats pretty much how it goes everytime.

I want to play MTT's as well instead of only S&G but most of them require a big buy-in like 2-5 dollars and mostly thats 1/2 to 1/4th of my br but i just want to play it that much that i do it.

You guys dont mind if you win 10 cents a day for a week, I do, the thought that Ive played for so long just to earn 10 cents doesnt seem to make it worth it. My mind was to win at least 10 dollars a day and thats just impossible at poker.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:59 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Then deposit $400 and play the $2-5 untill busto, cause you will play $33 buyins

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
(#18)
meh with 400 dollars ill start small untill 350 then ill go up to 33 something and when around 200 i will play 150 dollar buy-in and waste the rest of the cash problaby

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
good plan!

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:06 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTiberxX View Post
well actually that 90 dollar is the bigges thing I've ever had, everytime I deposit 10 or 20 dollars I get my ass kicked for depositing money again at gamble games (i still live at my parents)

and yes i suck at bankroll management, for a real life example, Ive been losing for some hours and I think to myself, lets play a 30 dollar 50fifty so i can win it all back at once, get kicked out at 8th and destroyed my bankroll, thats pretty much how it goes everytime.

I want to play MTT's as well instead of only S&G but most of them require a big buy-in like 2-5 dollars and mostly thats 1/2 to 1/4th of my br but i just want to play it that much that i do it.

You guys dont mind if you win 10 cents a day for a week, I do, the thought that Ive played for so long just to earn 10 cents doesnt seem to make it worth it. My mind was to win at least 10 dollars a day and thats just impossible at poker.
If you listen to people and watch videos u could do this by just playing the micros

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com