Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

advice guys please

Old
Wink
advice guys please - Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
*********** # 1 **************
PokerStars Game #70951976302: Tournament #462420148, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2011/11/22 14:27:53 WET [2011/11/22 9:27:53 ET]
Table '462420148 608' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: unclekaiser (2690 in chips)
Seat 2: olga1957294 (10710 in chips)
Seat 3: calicheUT (1170 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: andrik777sa (1660 in chips)
Seat 5: divabrae (2140 in chips)
Seat 6: MJ-my- love (960 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: majdalena (2020 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: pokerkon177 (900 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: trexndoors (4360 in chips)
olga1957294: posts small blind 50
calicheUT: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to divabrae [8s As]
andrik777sa: folds
divabrae: calls 100
MJ-my- love: folds
majdalena: folds
pokerkon177: folds
trexndoors: calls 100
unclekaiser: calls 100
olga1957294: folds
calicheUT: folds
*** FLOP *** [4c Ah 6s]
divabrae: bets 225
trexndoors: calls 225
unclekaiser: folds
*** TURN *** [4c Ah 6s] [Ks]
divabrae: bets 450
trexndoors: calls 450
*** RIVER *** [4c Ah 6s Ks] [Ac]
divabrae: bets 720
trexndoors: raises 720 to 1440
divabrae said, "hmmmmmmmmmmmm"
divabrae: calls 645 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (75) returned to trexndoors
*** SHOW DOWN ***
trexndoors: shows [4d 4h] (a full house, Fours full of Aces)
divabrae: shows [8s As] (three of a kind, Aces)
trexndoors collected 4530 from pot
divabrae finished the tournament in 3548th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4530 | Rake 0
Board [4c Ah 6s Ks Ac]
Seat 1: unclekaiser (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: olga1957294 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: calicheUT (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: andrik777sa folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: divabrae showed [8s As] and lost with three of a kind, Aces
Seat 6: MJ-my- love folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: majdalena folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: pokerkon177 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: trexndoors showed [4d 4h] and won (4530) with a full house, Fours full of Aces
hi guys bit of info about my op he was calling everything hitting silly thing and picking up pots i knew i would get him maybe on allin and get a payoff but he hit lol i believed i was ahead it really did not enter my head that he would have something because he had been calling and raising with nothing so i stupidly with 3 aces might be ok i thought he might have a k and that is what i was scared of the full house but did not expect the above so very frustated nothing was going to get him off the pot nothing i just thought the odd and pot size where to good for me to throw away shame its cost me points played really well to go out to that pretty sick but seen worse on here lol thanxs guys in advance

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi there where as i cannot give u advise may i suggest that you have a look at this link, its not that hard to get used to and it makes it so much easier. its the hand replayer which you must of seen in other threads

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...r-Instructions

Hope i'm not outa line here just trying to help

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
UTG +1 on a 21BB stack is a little loose to be entering the pot really.

Consider...

Your stack at 21BB really does not have a lot of room to play any kind of standard line all the way to the river without getting yourself pretty stuck to the pot. That means a lot of your ability to play draws are going to be gone since you are not going to be able to check/call bet to spike. That means if you enter a pot on a stack of this size, you really should be doing so for a raise.

The reason you really would want a bigger hand to raise from early position than A8s is that:

1) Someone may 3bet behind you.
Obviously, A8s is not going to play all that well versus a 3bet.

2) Even if an opponent or 2 flat calls you, the C-BET you should be making most times is going to be very committing for you.

So realistically you want to be raising a tighter range in EP to avoid finding yourself in a tricky spot where even if you flop top pair you might be out-kicked, see?

As played, when you do get to limp in and you only get called, I see nothing wrong with your lead on top pair. 225 into a 450 pot is fine. did you happen to notice how much of your stack was in the pot at that point though?

15% invested when there is still a caller starts to move you more and more towards a 30% to 35% committment point. so when the villain calls behind, you have to start asking yourself what he might have that he can call...

I think when you pick up the flush draw on the turn, rather than leading, I would favor a check to control the pot a bit. By doing that you may see a bet that is small enough for you to call on with the marginal value in your hand, and even if you are behind that means you see the river for a chance to make the nut flush.

By betting out for 450 though, you've moved yourself up to a 775 investment, and are 36% invested in the pot. Folding away that amount of your stack is a pretty yuck decision (if you felt beat on the river), so with a hand which may be behind, there is no real need to stick that bet in there. something that may have helped you here is to note the "board texture"...

Without a lot of draws on this flop that someone may be shooting for, it makes it more likely your weak kicker is behind here, either to 2 pair, or someone limping a bigger A to play fit or fold. It is entirely possible someone is letting you bet for them, as it would take a pretty weak A to call you here for you to be good.

On the river, your bet is fine though, as the second Ace showing makes it less likely someone holds an A...it could be they think you are bluffing and are calling you on some kind of middle pair (although the K makes that less likely). Still, as you got yourself this deep, that is the sort of improvement you were hoping for, it just was not enough...

This hand shows a couple of things clearly:

1) When you are on semi short money, enter aggressively. If you don;t, you'll tend to get stuck to the pot even though you are trying to play for cheap.

2) Try to avoid trouble hands, those which may be out kicked, oop. This is especially true when a hit is going to have you deeply invested as a % of your stack.

Hope it helps.

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
a Phrase i've heard a lot at trainings and have finally started to follow is....

Whats your plan.

Your in Early position with a Suited A in the (open league this is a fold here for me)

Never Limp first into the pot, (thank you Dave The Lanogier) you are inviting a raise and then what will you do. If you think your hand is not strong enough to raise with, Muck it - as we are out of position.

for more on this please watch this video.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...on-23-Position

having hit the flop and been called what do we think he has.

Reevaluate what will you do if he raises?

yes in the end it was an unlucky hand to go out with. But we didn't need to be in this spot in Early position.

Grade b

(As i'm writing this i got called away from my desk and i just noticed Jdean has posted the same advice but better worded)

Old
Wink
thankyou everyoune - Tue Nov 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
Thankyou everyone for all the great advice yes i can see perfectly where i was in big trouble in this hand now maybe he was not so lucky i did not think much like i normally do hard about hands from start to finish i just got blinded by the aces silly walked straight into a trap i have folded alot of hands in a similar situation so i am angry with myself for not playing closer attention thankyou everyone for the advice its going to help alot in future

Old
Tue Nov 22, 2011, 01:57 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by divabrae View Post
the advice its going to help alot in future
That's the key! Learn from every situation you get into

I also agree with the others analysis. A8 is a bit loose to be playing out of position. You're better off finding a better situation. Also, when you do play hands, don't limp like you did from early position, either raise or fold.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com