Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

how to play 33 OOP??

Old
how to play 33 OOP?? - Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hello PSOers:
This is my first hand I’m replaying so I hope it works fine…
Just wanted to know if I took the right approach with this particular hand. Will appreciate suggestions very much

As u guys can see, I wanted to enter the pot as cheap as possible with my weak pocket pair, with the hopes of hitting a set or shutting down. Simple, but wanted to know how u guys would’ve played it.

Lol At showdown I would’ve won this hand with a flush!

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
that early in a tourney, if it were me, I'm immediately mucking it. You want to play tighter in the early part of a tourney. Later on, it's perfectly fine to get in cheap and try to see the flop, and fold if you don't hit or someone raises. Early in a tourney, it's better to save your chips with weak or marginal hands.

Also, DO NOT be results oriented. Base everything off of whether or not you made the correct decision. You will do alot better and have alot less headaches if you do

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
Call was good, if you are a very loose player you could do a 3x raise but since the other guy had kings you came out cheaper.

Dont worry about the flush u got, just think would I have gotten into that hand in the first place? if the answer is no, the end result is worth nothing.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:15 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
I tend to dissagree with JWK on this point.(unless this is a pso tourney) I think its a good play early on, when money's still deep, to try to see some cheap flops from late pos. with speculative hands that can flop big and rake you some nice pots. And the cheap flop doesn't hurt your stack much. I set aside a certain % of my stack early for these types of plays sinse the risk is small and the rewards can be very large. (double and sometime triple ups) just my .02

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
MT, the reason I thought that way, was that normally at that level someone will turn it into a raise-fest or shove-fest and I don't want to be playing for stacks with 33, without seeing the board.

If you know there aren't going to be alot of raises after you... I'm in the hand in a heartbeat hoping to get a set.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:32 PM
(#6)
Ya, thats why I say from late pos. Being at the highjack gives a descent chance at that workin out. Worth a shot anyway..

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
If you are not willing to raise yourself, you really should not be willing to call any sort of standard raise size either. Had the raise been a min raise, fine I can see a call to continue a set mining shot. But when he makes it a 100 to go, I'm letting this one go.

I'm jsut not hitting a set often enough to want to put that many chips in the pot.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:30 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
I tend to dissagree with JWK on this point.(unless this is a pso tourney) I think its a good play early on, when money's still deep, to try to see some cheap flops from late pos. with speculative hands that can flop big and rake you some nice pots. And the cheap flop doesn't hurt your stack much. I set aside a certain % of my stack early for these types of plays sinse the risk is small and the rewards can be very large. (double and sometime triple ups) just my .02

Post flop, with 2 players putting chips in behind you, you will be in MIDDLE POSITION for the remainder of the hand.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:03 PM
(#9)
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I DID NOT mean he should call the 5X raise here. I simply meant that tryin to sneak in here was worth a shot. Obviously with the raise and the call beind its an instamuck. Thats not going to happen often enough from the hj seat to not give tryin to limp in a shot was my point.in THIS instance it didnt pan out, but the 20 he lost was of no consequence to his tornament well being. and if it DID work out and his set mine payed off he stands a really good shot at stacking one or more of his opponents. Again sorry for the confusion.

Old
Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
If you are not willing to raise yourself, you really should not be willing to call any sort of standard raise size either. Had the raise been a min raise, fine I can see a call to continue a set mining shot. But when he makes it a 100 to go, I'm letting this one go.

I'm jsut not hitting a set often enough to want to put that many chips in the pot.
Funny you should say this i been in situations like this and i think to myself. Im in early position i have a small pair and want to see a flop but if i raise someone might 3bet me and ill fold. So i then think instead off a raise ill limp and if someone puts a standard raise i will call as i wanted to raise anyway. Anyone else ever think like this ?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com