Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

coping with bad beats

Old
coping with bad beats - Thu Nov 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Just a quick tip, this may not help you, but it works for me.

Next time you geta bad beat, or just get pissed off with a loose player that is getting lucky or bullying the table with a big stack, do the following

Go to one of the poker ranking or player stats sites. (just google "poker player stats" result number 3)
Do a search on the players name
Note a profit graph for that player that points consistently downwards over time.
Smile and remind yourself that you are the better player and this player is bleeding $$ in the long run.

PS. I don't agree with people using these huge communal databases during play, I agree with the poker stars line that people should only have stats from hands they have played in. but I do like seeing the terrible profit graphs of the bad players after they have lucked out on me

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
nice advice, ill try that soon :P

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Can i appeal?

I put in my screen name!! not sure if i'm happy or not?

Grade b

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Those sites are notorious for missing many games, hands etc.... also they do not track freerolls

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Those sites are notorious for missing many games, hands etc.... also they do not track freerolls
True.
I know for a fact that my numbers on OPR are way off (missing 2 of my larger wins?!), as I've got a spreadsheet I set up that has every single game and cash table I've ever played, tracked with date, tourney number, placing, entrants, buy-in, return, etc... down to the exact penny.

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
True.
I know for a fact that my numbers on OPR are way off (missing 2 of my larger wins?!), as I've got a spreadsheet I set up that has every single game and cash table I've ever played, tracked with date, tourney number, placing, entrants, buy-in, return, etc... down to the exact penny.
How true, the site I am forced to play on now is brutal for the record keeping, the other day the one site missed 20 games I played, and has not once recorded a tourney I played in other than rebuys Thank god for HEM and PT3

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
They miss all my big wins

They used to be really good but this year they seem to have fallen backwards.

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 02:31 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
True.

I will say for myself that I know for a fact that OPR has all my plays that fit within their auspices included in my stats. Reason I know is that I keep a written record of all my plays for $ recorded in a 3-ring binder,as well as written results for each individual ring session. Yep I AM that **** and technologically stuck in the 19th century,lol. Just a "comfort zone" thing with me as I have years of processing my sports wagering activities in the same way.

OPR DOES have a lot of blind spots though,no argument there. They only track 4 top SNG's and MTT's and up,in other words at least 36 runners. Many peeps you may encounter in a 45 man,for instance,may be straight killing it in say 27 mans,but have dodgy stats in 36 man plays and up. Also freerolls,FPP tournies and many satellites are NOT tracked by OPR.

Best advice I can give is to check an opponents overall numbers but then use OPR's filtering system to break that player's numbers down for the game you are facing them in. Also I liked to check their last 100 plays to see if a player is running hot or cold,or maybe has just begin to improve their game.

Old
Thu Nov 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
OPR's a great tool that I use alot, don't get me wrong with that... and I've never sorted it like you said, which would probably make it alot better. I'll have to try that one!

Last 100 to see if they're on a streak IS definitely something I've used before that has helped It is also a VERY good baseline tool to get an idea of what type of player you're dealing with.

I've had them try to add in the ones they've missed and they have added some, but not others (their std reply is 'we'll try to add this in, but may or may not').

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com