Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

bad read

Old
bad read - Mon Nov 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

Bad read here.

Was on fire till here . Kept my cool on other table

Last edited by m.bisland; Mon Nov 28, 2011 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Posted wrong replayer

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
instead of a just bad read, that's more of a cooler hand.... although there were some signs that the opp had a monster hand.

I'd have raised more pre (1600 due to the limper). When the limper min 3-bets you, that's almost always a sign of a monster. When that happens, you've got 3 choices (call/4-bet/fold) and you can really make a case for any of them, depending on reads.

If you call, you know you're probably at best case in a race. That's ok if you hit a 10 on the flop, but makes it real tricky for you if you don't. With the 3 unders on the flop, I'd be pushing the flop and not let an opp with AK or even AQ draw at me cheap.

You can fold, especially if the opp was playing extremely tight, as that type of move preflop normally means QQ+, which puts you in deep trouble (2 outs).

Or... option 3, which is what I'd do if the opp was not playing extremely tight and that is to 4-bet shove. You basically put them all-in on the flop anyway, so if you're going to do that, then do it preflop and maximize your fold equity (which in this case wouldn't have worked as they're calling/raising any bet you make without an A on the board).

In most cases here, I'm either folding or shoving their min 3-bet and that will depend on how the opp was playing prior to this hand.

At least you were left with 12.5BB left after the hand, and not KO'd from the tourney.

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
What about hand no 2 was pushing in early position good or bad ?

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hand 2 is super standard. You wanna take the blinds/take flips at this stage. You're gonna lose about half the time, but the dead money makes it very +EV.

Hand 1...I wrote something a few minutes ago, but I got logged out while posting. Basically:

What hands that he limp/3-bets pre will call your flop raise that TT beats? I doubt he'd play any pairs lower than tens this way. He has QQ+ so often. If he'll call with AK/AQ stuff then by all means go for it. If he has a hand like you're a coinflip. I'd rather just call to keep the air in his range, rather than taking him off the bluff by putting him all in.

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
for the second one, if this was a 45-man, then were you ITM already, or were there 14 left.

If you're ITM with 7 left, I'm shoving 99 here all day long. You're already +$$ from it, now you want to get into the top 3 and win it. To do that you need to accumulate alot more chips. Anyone that calls you will most likely be in a race with you (which they were) and if you're going to win one, you'll need to win a race or 2 along the way.

If there are 14 left, where do you sit chip-wise, compared to the others? You have less than 10BB left too, which needs to be considered. If there are a ton of real short stacks left, that you can get ITM within an orbit (could be, but doubtful), then I might consider mucking it for a second.... then shove my chips in.

You either need to shove or fold it and the worst thing you can do is to raise, then fold on the flop. There is most likely going to be an over on the flop, so while you could raise and shove any flop, I'd rather shove first... before any opp can see that they hit a higher pair.

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
both itm

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.bisland View Post
both itm
ITM = instant shove for the 99

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
ok thanks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com