Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

56s on the button

Old
56s on the button - Mon Nov 28, 2011, 10:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
ok. first, should i have played this and should i have raised pre flop? second should i have raised the flop bet. and third shove or value bet?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

this was my thinking at the time: i called because a cheap flop with suited connectors (even low ones) on a 10c MTT with so many limpers can be good for the stack if i hit, plus i have the luxury of position. the flop is a little scary cos my flush is not great, so i call the SBs min bet cos i thought a raise would get a 3-bet all in from any1 holding the Kd or Ad and felt i could still fold to a large bet if a diamond came on the turn. when every1 checked the turn i thought i could rule out all but weak flush draws so was confident i was ahead. considering my stack size i thought all in would be better than a small bet.

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I like the limp preflop.

On the flop, it's tricky. If you raise, then anyone with a larger diamond can give you value, but you may be on a lower flush. Although, you don't really want 3 others drawing at a higher diamond. I'd have probably raised to 600.

On the turn, if you're going to be cautious on the flop, then I'd have checked the turn. If you say you're going to fold to another diamond, then peel off the river card. If you're going to push the turn.... you're better off shoving the flop as a raise.

If no diamond shows by the river and you see it with chips left, it's a definite shove there.

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 11:49 PM
(#3)
Thanks JWK
i can see that a raise on the flop would have been a better play. could i still fold to a all in or would i be pot committed? and the check turn,bet river is obvious now you've said it.

Old
Mon Nov 28, 2011, 11:53 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you could, but in that tourney, with as wide a range as the opps play in it, i'd call a shove. There are more people that may call a raise than a shove that are alot worse than your hand, so said that I would raise due to getting extra value from them, while they may not call a shove.

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:08 AM
(#5)
yeah, that makes sense,thanks again

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:11 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
in a tourney with alot better players, if they shove over you, they'll either have the higher flush or the A and need one.

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 03:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'd raise the flop before an action-killing diamond can come on the turn.

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 07:48 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2011
id raise pre-flop you have the perfect position with good cards to do it. On the flop a C-bet or a raise to any better, they should fold, and if not your problaby way ahead in this hand.
This way you could of made alot of value even if you missed the flop completely, and if they re-raise you on the flop just fold.

But your way made more value then mine so you dont have to listen to me

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#9)
thanks guys,raising the flop would deffo been a better play . Tiber, if there were'nt as many limpers i would have considered a raise pre flop, like you say i have the perfect position. however i have noticed that in this tourney there are a lot of pre flop limp/raisers holding premium hole cards.

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:21 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerzaine View Post
however i have noticed that in this tourney there are a lot of pre flop limp/raisers holding premium hole cards.
You'll find that early in almost any tournament. It won't be until the mid/late stages where that won't happen.

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:40 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
No point in raising preflop on this stack size with position and a hand with such great postflop potential. If you get 3-bet you have to fold, and you sacrifice its postflop value and your position.

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:50 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
No point in raising preflop on this stack size with position and a hand with such great postflop potential. If you get 3-bet you have to fold, and you sacrifice its postflop value and your position.
+1

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:55 AM
(#13)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerzaine View Post
thanks guys,raising the flop would deffo been a better play . Tiber, if there were'nt as many limpers i would have considered a raise pre flop, like you say i have the perfect position. however i have noticed that in this tourney there are a lot of pre flop limp/raisers holding premium hole cards.
As learned, reads on opponents are as important as anything else in your decision factor

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com