Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Member Blogs / Member of the Month /

My current thinks!!

Old
My current thinks!! - Tue Nov 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Ok so its 7.35 pm on Tuesday the 29th of November.
For nearly 8 hours now i have known i was the 2nd Player of the week.
I finally logged on at work and there on the home page was my Avatar (my fav pic of him still ). I froze,
Obviously at work I shouldn't be doing poker things but still, I log on in quiet moments, it took me 2 hours to actually log in. what would I say? How do I feel.

Well I'm sure by now most of you have read my post on the thread. I mean every bit, it is great here. I sometimes feel strange posting poker advice and yet good at the same time.

(to anyone who actually tried to follow any of my advice I'm very very very sorry.) I feel on safer ground directing folks to the live trainings which I myself love, or the videos.
I think in a post some all of two weeks ago I stated that If i was to win I'm not worried what type of tournys they have after all its $150 of freeroll. mind you when i said that not sure I thought I would win.

So now it's here and I have NO CLUE how to play Omaha, Or Heads up or Timed as for Rebuys, ba ekk help, help my heads going to explode......

ok i got a drink and am calm.. (just dinked second in play money STT PLO (its that going to play like $55?)

I'm sure the regs in the $22 (man that's like 1/4 of my Bank Roll) can't wait to grasp my cash, oh yeah wait it's not mine its Poker stars, and I get to play these 8 (hopefully 16 if I can string 2 words together and pick some spots) so i shall take Ahar010's advice and enjoy the experience.
Does this mean I plan on playing like a fish. No of course not but if I do play less than stellar, when i review, I hope to learn from it.

Not for no reason are MTT's said to have the highest Variance, so do I expect to donk on to every final table, no, I mean I be happy to run good in a few (please).

Ok time for me to do some research into these games what time do they start and what is the format seem like good places to start.

Grade b

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
remember this.... regs in higher buyin games will shove light, but call tight... and if you are too tight they will 3bet you to death

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 08:19 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
remember this.... regs in higher buyin games will shove light, but call tight... and if you are too tight they will 3bet you to death
oh no ....................

Grade b

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
oh and dont open shove AA KK etc, they will mark you as a fish lol

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 08:35 PM
(#5)
Ok my current plan...open to confermation by the missis and how i feel ect ect.

Sat. 3rd $22 6-max - 7am
$27 eliminator - 10am
$11 duel -3.30
$22 speedway (maybe) 7pm

All times Eastern (and supject to me actually waking up in time.)

Grade b

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 08:41 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
+1

Old
Tue Nov 29, 2011, 08:55 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2011
I considered a Blog after the PokerStars Canada Cup, regarding playin in "much bigger" buy-in tourneys than we historically do (avg. buy-in).

I believe that the players @ the higher level buy-ins will be checking out the competition @ their tables. Many tracking sites... no more needs to be said.

When these players come across "someone" (could be me, could be u), and see that we're playin way over our historical average buy-in, the 1st thing these players are gonna do is.... test us.

They will try to bully us, or, pick up some sort of tell that might say we're "playin scared." Expect multiple callers the 1st couple of hands we play.

If they see that we won't be pushed around, and that we might just have half a clue... then... u can be sure... every time we wanna play a hand... and come in wid a raise... the majority of the time, these players will just duck, and let u pick up the pot. Especially if they conclude we're "TAG."

The result... we're just maintaining our small stack in relation to others @ the table. As we run/grind deeper into the tourney, we come to the realization that we're now in "critical condition", whereby each and every hand is either a shove or fold situation. This means we're putting our tourney life on the line every single time.

More times than not, @ this stage of the tourney... eventually... 1 of the "bigger" stacks will pick us off.

Now I'm not posting this to try to "psych" u out in any way, but, just something for u to think about b4 undertaking ur line-up of tourneys.

Have a sound plan in place and GL in ur adventure!

Easy out...

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:31 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyChips4U View Post
I considered a Blog after the PokerStars Canada Cup, regarding playin in "much bigger" buy-in tourneys than we historically do (avg. buy-in).

I believe that the players @ the higher level buy-ins will be checking out the competition @ their tables. Many tracking sites... no more needs to be said.

When these players come across "someone" (could be me, could be u), and see that we're playin way over our historical average buy-in, the 1st thing these players are gonna do is.... test us.

They will try to bully us, or, pick up some sort of tell that might say we're "playin scared." Expect multiple callers the 1st couple of hands we play.

If they see that we won't be pushed around, and that we might just have half a clue... then... u can be sure... every time we wanna play a hand... and come in wid a raise... the majority of the time, these players will just duck, and let u pick up the pot. Especially if they conclude we're "TAG."

The result... we're just maintaining our small stack in relation to others @ the table. As we run/grind deeper into the tourney, we come to the realization that we're now in "critical condition", whereby each and every hand is either a shove or fold situation. This means we're putting our tourney life on the line every single time.

More times than not, @ this stage of the tourney... eventually... 1 of the "bigger" stacks will pick us off.

Now I'm not posting this to try to "psych" u out in any way, but, just something for u to think about b4 undertaking ur line-up of tourneys.

Have a sound plan in place and GL in ur adventure!

Easy out...
Excellent post and advice, Easy.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 08:27 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Ok my current plan...open to confermation by the missis and how i feel ect ect.

Sat. 3rd $22 6-max - 7am
$27 eliminator - 10am
$11 duel -3.30
$22 speedway (maybe) 7pm

All times Eastern (and supject to me actually waking up in time.)

Grade b
Ok after consultation with my (very) better half a new scedule is needed.

So given that the wiaton Santa parade is on and my son is in it and decorating a float.

I will commit to the 7am game and maybe the 10am if someone can tell me how long its likely to last?

Grade b

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
To premise this advice I would just like to say that I have do not have any knowledge regarding these particular tournaments, or any knowledge of your mindset going into them. However I think the following is useful prerequisite that must be adhered to by everyone upon entering any MTT...

Do not enter a tournament if you are not prepared to play for the amount of time it takes to win that tournament.

It sounds obvious, but the reason I say it is because I have not followed this principal in the past and on such occasions I have encountered difficulties. Not following this principal in my own games has stemmed from my attitude towards the old PSO leagues games. When I used to play in the old style PSO league a min-cash was golden, and as such I would budget enough time just to min-cash. But in a one off MTT playing for a min-cash is tantamount to playing in order to lose, and this attitude has had detrimental effects on my MTT performance.

I am not saying that you have not taken the above into consideration, because by your previous posts it seems that you are being careful in the tournaments that you select to play. But I would just add that if the possibility of winning the 10am tourney has any chance of overlapping with your son's carnival then you should not play it, unless of course you have absolutely no qualms about sacking off the carnival, which seems unlikely. Also I hope the above advice is useful to someone, if not you in particular, because I know it has helped me in my game. Playing in order to win a tournament should be a priority upon entry, coupled with the acceptance of the fact that we probably won't win; that way we might just stay sane!

Congratulations on the MOTW win Grade b, and best of luck in these games, I would love to see you (or a fellow PSO'er) take one down.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:46 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaxwell View Post
To premise this advice I would just like to say that I have do not have any knowledge regarding these particular tournaments, or any knowledge of your mindset going into them. However I think the following is useful prerequisite that must be adhered to by everyone upon entering any MTT...

Do not enter a tournament if you are not prepared to play for the amount of time it takes to win that tournament.

It sounds obvious, but the reason I say it is because I have not followed this principal in the past and on such occasions I have encountered difficulties. Not following this principal in my own games has stemmed from my attitude towards the old PSO leagues games. When I used to play in the old style PSO league a min-cash was golden, and as such I would budget enough time just to min-cash. But in a one off MTT playing for a min-cash is tantamount to playing in order to lose, and this attitude has had detrimental effects on my MTT performance.

I am not saying that you have not taken the above into consideration, because by your previous posts it seems that you are being careful in the tournaments that you select to play. But I would just add that if the possibility of winning the 10am tourney has any chance of overlapping with your son's carnival then you should not play it, unless of course you have absolutely no qualms about sacking off the carnival, which seems unlikely. Also I hope the above advice is useful to someone, if not you in particular, because I know it has helped me in my game. Playing in order to win a tournament should be a priority upon entry, coupled with the acceptance of the fact that we probably won't win; that way we might just stay sane!

Congratulations on the MOTW win Grade b, and best of luck in these games, I would love to see you (or a fellow PSO'er) take one down.
This is very good advice. And i just saw that the final table runs to like 8pm so not playing this this week. Also the 6-max runs to 4pm which is going to be touch and go so it is very possible that I play no games this Saturday.

(have to wait and see what reaction i get when i mention i may play till 4pm with the in-laws coming over....)

hummmm ok you know what i know the answer so my attack of these games will start next week. (cos i don't want to have to play with a broken arm (ok i have to say here that this is a joke but didn't want to put have to sleep alone!!!)

Grade b

Old
Fri Dec 02, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#12)
Ok talk about ironic or good timing.

i got this today.

PokerStars Tournament #549010964, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $2.00/$0.20 USD
3182 players
Total Prize Pool: $6364.00 USD
Tournament started 2011/12/01 20:30:00 ET

Dear Grade b,

You finished the tournament in 21st place. A USD 13.36 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 166.45 tournament leader points in this tournament. For information about our tournament leader board, see our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tour.../leader-board/

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

Before anyone posts to say well done, i need to spin the whole story.

I have no idea when this finished or when i finally blinded down.
Becuase i felt fine when this started at 8.30 (and yes Dave i played through the training sorry)

but at 1am i was flagging i did switch to my desktop and put on some music, at 2pm i was in 7th place with 71 players still in. DAmn damn damn, i don't want to spew off chips but in my experiance 2am was final table time (but its been a year or so...) so i have a Meeting at 8.30 about a student of mine with 4 differant outside agencys..so... i sat out and went to bed..and
well now you can all tel me what a wally i am for not knowing it runs longer than the 6 hours i had in my head it ran for.

Dang you Graden your a wally!!

anyway so other than getting Grief from the missues for going to bed so late It did settle one thing for me.

I plan on playing NO GAMES on this following saturday, but will start next week. (caviate i will prob play some sit n gos but not the saturady line up games.

Instead if you still hope to rail me I shall be in Owen sound Watching the Kids bowl, I shall help my son with his Groups Float for the Christmas parade and i shall freeze my butt off waiting for the thing to go by with my daughter.

Yet again big thanks to Swaxwell for the great advice.

Grade b

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com