Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

The downside of leaving chat open

Old
The downside of leaving chat open - Wed Nov 30, 2011, 08:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi there pso members up until recently i used to leave my chat off but in the past few games ive had it turned on for extra reads on my ops, but i have found a downside to this an op called me an idiot when i tried to steal the big blind him not understanding that the reason i made my move on the button was i was down to 10bb and on the btn and the bb was sitting out the op that called me was in the sb and had A4, i took the hand down getting lucky and hitting a set but then the chat banter started and i felt like i had to explain myself, this later on in the game lead to some bad plays by me with only 4 players to go before i hit the final table, so while it might be good for extra reads, i say it can also lead to changing your play style and not giving your game the 100% attention it deserves, also explaining myself gave all the other ops at the table valuble info about me, this is without a doubt the biggest mistake ive made in a while.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I'd completely agree with you.

I've never found the chat box anything other than a distraction. Usually, when playing a MTT or Sit n' Go I'll have the info tab open. I find that information far more useful.

The chat box is good when in a home game playing against people you know and you want to fool around.

Just remember though, if someone calls you an idiot in the chat box then that usually indicates he's on a bit of a tilt! Just smile, don't respond to it and keep playing your 'A' game.

Raiser

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
ya, i like to just say eeeeeeyup! eerruump dee dump! eerruump dee dump! always gets a lol or two..

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
I use the chat as another tool to piss people off, if i beat them i just rub it in their face to get them tilted

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
These types of things should go into your notes on the player.

1. A player that spouts off is now 'on tilt', at least a little bit. Use it to your advantage. They can't control their emotions and this will definitely affect their play.

2. A player that is affected by others rants. This is you Pest...change that. Don't be affected by someone going off like this. Don't let it change your play. You should look at the tirade as the opponent saying "I can't beat this guy with skill, I'm going to have to try and use chat." Then use that to your advantage. Note others who are like this and know that when someone is berating them, they may be exploitable, either by them loosing their cool and playing bad, or they tighten up way too much.

Until you can control being affected by chat, it may be a good idea to leave it off, but once you can, and want to use these things to your advantage, then chat is another valuable tool to use..even if YOU never use it.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
If someone is being annoying on the chat, I just right click them and select "block chat"

Done

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2011
I like the zzzzz in the open league, I tend to chat with them to piss em off, if I get a premium hand they generally call me just to get me out of there, and mostly its an easy double up

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 11:59 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
These types of things should go into your notes on the player.

1. A player that spouts off is now 'on tilt', at least a little bit. Use it to your advantage. They can't control their emotions and this will definitely affect their play.

2. A player that is affected by others rants. This is you Pest...change that. Don't be affected by someone going off like this. Don't let it change your play. You should look at the tirade as the opponent saying "I can't beat this guy with skill, I'm going to have to try and use chat." Then use that to your advantage. Note others who are like this and know that when someone is berating them, they may be exploitable, either by them loosing their cool and playing bad, or they tighten up way too much.

Until you can control being affected by chat, it may be a good idea to leave it off, but once you can, and want to use these things to your advantage, then chat is another valuable tool to use..even if YOU never use it.
+1million

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:03 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
I'd completely agree with you.

I've never found the chat box anything other than a distraction. Usually, when playing a MTT or Sit n' Go I'll have the info tab open. I find that information far more useful.

The chat box is good when in a home game playing against people you know and you want to fool around.

Just remember though, if someone calls you an idiot in the chat box then that usually indicates he's on a bit of a tilt! Just smile, don't respond to it and keep playing your 'A' game.

Raiser
I find that hard to believe coming from a troll.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
this allowed emotion into my game which is a big no no in poker and on my home planet Vulcan
a few hands after i did manage to get the op all in he had AJ vs my AK and he hit his J lol u can just imagine his chat responce then lmao, its all good i will just stay off chat until i find im able to play poker that automatic i have the time to get involved with rants

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:52 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
i love when players say something to the effect of "ur gonna lose pretty soon" or "im gonna bust u", etc., cause then it gives me an added challenge. it used to concern me because i thought it meant that player was going to start paying close attention to my play and then try to counter it with a new strategy that i haven't seen them use yet, and i wouldn't know how to react. but now i know that the vast majority of stuff typed into the chat box is a bunch of hooey and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:17 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Does the term "trash talk" mean anything to you?

Like you, I love running into these players. Most are all brag and pushing trash. All too often the poker gods bless them with the golden horseshoe, but I figure it's just setting the fool up for a much bigger crash and burn later. I just hope to be there whenever it happens.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:32 AM
(#13)
Yes, nothing annoys me more than whan someone else picks off that donk that couldn't stop chatting. I make sure I have a note for next time!!

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:43 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
I know what you mean. Had one today in an early SNG. Kept telling everyone to just quit, he was going to take this one. He then pushed marginal hands, such as king-ten suited, and catching the gold. When we reached the final table, he is sitting at number one with half the game's cash telling everyone how great he was, and how nobody could best him.

The poker gods reclaimed their golden horseshoe. It took another half hour, but everyone got to nip him. Sure, he eliminated two of us, with cards in Group Seven. Then sweetness. Three straight hands he pushed his opponent all-in. Him with the low pockets, the others holding high ones. The real surprise was him losing. He busted out as number six, one short of the money. We all celebrated.

And what happened to your neighborhood hedgehog? He came to the table at his usual 9 of 9, and got blinded out at number five. Yeah me, I made the money and the resident poker god crashed and burned.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 04:24 AM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPest72 View Post
Hi there pso members up until recently i used to leave my chat off but in the past few games ive had it turned on for extra reads on my ops, but i have found a downside to this an op called me an idiot when i tried to steal the big blind him not understanding that the reason i made my move on the button was i was down to 10bb and on the btn and the bb was sitting out the op that called me was in the sb and had A4, i took the hand down getting lucky and hitting a set but then the chat banter started and i felt like i had to explain myself, this later on in the game lead to some bad plays by me with only 4 players to go before i hit the final table, so while it might be good for extra reads, i say it can also lead to changing your play style and not giving your game the 100% attention it deserves, also explaining myself gave all the other ops at the table valuble info about me, this is without a doubt the biggest mistake ive made in a while.
Chat is one of the best things you have besides luck. Never say why you did something just say "your right I'm an idiot and new i don't have a clue what I'm doing"
What are you going to do if you play live poker turn off the chat ? You need to learn how to use it

good luck

Old
How about Death treats! - Tue Dec 06, 2011, 09:14 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
ChromeStar
I was playing a MTT PL Omaha, having a good time. two hours in got the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz going from a player. I asked innocently why they were so impatient, and he told me I should die.

Well, I thought it was scary at first. Kind of took me aback. But then I laughed... I decided slow play when he was in was a good idea. And the I kept the chat going... I received a lot of insults... and I tried to keep it clean with witty retorts instead of insults. but being human, i couldn't help the name calling....

I kept my cool, and watched him crash and burn! So much for the handle smartpoker!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com