Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Bad shove ?

Old
Bad shove ? - Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar

Was this a good shove as i was worried about the flush. Also a 3 bet would have made me po committed.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
I am going to be interested in the reply to this one!

What type of tourney was it? Did you have any reads on your opponents? I am assuming some type of freeroll like the Open League or the Anniversary events with such big stacks at 25/50 blinds.

I really do not think it was badly played at all by you.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
45 man $0.25 was early and these guys were very loose.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Surprised by that Bis, but as I said I think you played it perfectly.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Good to hear

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar

Ill add this to. Guy that calls my shove i have plenty of notes on him. He is a huge donkey !
0.25 45 man 14 left.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
On this stack size if you hit any pair with AK you should be committed.

Flop bet is too small unless C-bets are getting attacked good. You smashed this flop and it's pretty likely your opponent has a piece. Turn pot sized bet is standard. He picked up some extra outs and hit the river. You played this fine.

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
So when im in hands like this i should make pot sized bets ?

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
If you figured that he had 2 clubs then you were a 4:1 fav.

He would have to call 1050 to win 2050 (i think cant see the video) so would be an incorrect play by him. Even if he wins.

So if that's the range you put him on it was a good shove.

What was the range of hands you thought he might have?

Do you use poker stove you can put in ranges and see different equities, its a useful tool

Grade b

Note given his hand and even if he put you on AK he is 3:1 against and still should note call

Last edited by Grade b; Wed Nov 30, 2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old
Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:55 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Put him on a flush draw after he called.

Old
Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:34 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
QQ is standard. Don't be results-oriented.

For that AK hand you really need to take stack sizes into account. On the turn you are shoving for a potsized bet with a monster. (Any pair you make with AK is a monster on your stack size!) The only way shoving is not the best move here is if you think he's more likely to bet worse at you than to call your shove with worse. This board is a pretty excellent one to get value from worse though, so definitely I'd shove.

Quote:
So when im in hands like this i should make pot sized bets ?
Doesn't have to be pot-sized. You want to make it easy to get stacks in when you have a big hand. If you bet small on the flop and big on the turn it's harder to call that turn shove than if you bet medium on the flop and medium on the turn. Try using a 2/3 pot C-bet. It's a nice size.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com